LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

PTrader: (0/0%)
What Is Your Preferred Food Source?

What is your preferred food source, flake, live or frozen and
why?

~ Glen Community Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

I'm using a mix of high quality Northfin pellet foods and frozen for my community tank.

Everyone should check out Northfin foods.
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Planted Member

Live blackworms rule!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
For my Altolamprologus calvus I feed live shrimps, nematodes, and scuds. As ambush predators I have found they only do well on live food.

For my oto I supplement with omega one veggie wafers, zucchini, dried seaweed, and romaine lettuce leaf. I will be adding Repashy soilent green to their diet soon as I have not had much luck feeding them the other stuff listed above.

I feed my hongi kens cichlid flake as the hongi will end up with bloat on a meat rich diet and the reviews are good but I will be changing this to something else (suggestions welcome).

I feed my espei, Honey guorami and sailfin mollies kens tropical flake for no reason other than it was inexpensive and seemed to get good reviews. When that bag is gone I will most likely switch to something a little better quality.

I feed my Corydoras habrosus (salt n pepper cory) marineland shrimp wafers (I will be switching to omega one shrimp pellets when the marineland is gone) and I feed them omega one super carnivore frozen cubes which the mollies also eat.

My shrimps I feed national geographic shrimp pellets as a supplement.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

45 gallon planted tank
5 corys
4 Siamese algae eaters
4 Apple snails
10 red cherry shrimp
around 40-60 ghost shrimp
1 male submissive betta
1 female submissive betta
A colony of pond snails
3 spider crabs

Actual food:
2 algae tablets each morning
Quite a good pinch of betta flake food each morning
1 Cube of frozen Blood Worms twice weekly
Starting to experiment with a slice of blanched zucchini twice weekly

Passive Food:
Plant waste
Dead Shrimp and shrimp moults
Crushed Pond Snails usually 5-15 a week
Algae grown through extended light periods

Soon to get a Butterfly fish so will also add some crickets each day

any ideas are more than welcome
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumadmin View Post
What is your preferred food source, flake, live or frozen and why? ~ Glen Community Support
Live, because:

1) free (>6months/year)
2) fish prefer it vs flake or frozen
3) produces best growth, vigor, color, breeding, etc
4) more interesting to watch fish feeding on live vs flake or frozen
5) if a fish refuses to eat live it's a sure sign that the fish is sick, unlike a refusal to consume frozen or flake, which could just mean the fish isn't hungry enough to settle for less than optimal food
6) imported fish have been raised on live, and can be difficult or impossible to wean onto frozen or flake
7) ?
8) ?
9) ?
10) ?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 PM
Planted Member

After reading so many positive comments on New Life Spectrum I decided to give it a try and my fish didn't really go for it. So I'm back to Hikari semi floating pellets which they seem to love. I also feed a mix of frozen blood worms, myso shrimp, brine shrimp, and cyclops all soaked in a solution of Seachem Garlic Guard a couple of times a week.

The only exception to the above is my pea puffer tank. I've tried all manner of things to acclimate them to frozen food but they will have none of it. They r e f u s e to eat anything other than snails.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I use almostnaturaltropicalfishfood, some of the best food out there check it out guys, first time i fed my L144 blue eyed plecos there algae wafers they had 60 babies.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My preferred food source is ..Pizza.
Nordic, Nordic, Bushkill and 5 others like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I recently made the mistake of trying some cheaper bulk food, my fishes' poop looked like dog turds when they go white on the lawn.
Back to tetra, hikari, and frozen bloodworms.

Flakes have come a long way.
Studies with zebrafish has shown better reproduction statistics with fish fed on quality flakes, VS live feed or combo.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
Hikari excel and gold for larger cichlids like the Synspilum, Wild Con, and Crassipinnis. The giant danios, Pictus, and Chalceus also eat this. Sometimes frozen krill or brine with spirulina.

Hikari sinking gold for the Jag; will eventually transition to Hikari massivore...hence I'm keeping him on sinking. No frozen etc currently as I had a wicked battle to pellet train him.

NLS all purpose and Large Fish formula to the GT, Sev, Firemouths, serpae, buenos aires, and tiger barbs. Some frozen plankton and brine.

Hikari sinking excel and cobalt spirulina flakes to the P.saulosi. Some frozen emerald entree.

Hikari goldfish, cobalt spirulina flakes, brine with spirulina to the kuhli loaches and fantail golds.

NLS 1.0mm marine, frozen brine with spirulina, frozen plankton to my FOWLR.

3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Variety is the spice of life.
Golden Pearls and other specialty food from KensFish, Omega One algae wafers, New Life Spectrum goldfish and small fish foods, Frozen krill, live blackworms, decapsulated and live brine/bbs, homemade frozen food for shrimp/snails, and basically whatever looks good and works for the fish I have at the time. If that's big name store bought, a smaller manufacturer of specialty foods, homemade or otherwise, fresh/frozen/dry - it's all good.

"Good judgment is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment." --Mark Twain
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
30 tanks running and a variety of sizes and needs makes it tough to be efficient about it and still meet all those needs.

I blend my own flakes from Ken's. I mix 1lb. batches and vary the content of each. Time constraints dictate feeding flakes in the AM.

I have lots of tiny mouths in the mix, so I run separate batches of flakes through a Bullet "food chopper". Makes the process of grinding flakes really easy and really uniform in size.

Frozen bloodworms, decapped BS at night and live BBS for the littlest mouths in the room.

Started mixing my own gelatin-based food recently and I'm transitioning away from bloodworms. Buying them in 11 Lb. lots gets me in trouble when they consume too much real estate in the freezer. Mixing my own food can at least let me make smaller batches and keep me out of domestic strife.
jaliberti and jaliberti like this.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Live!

I try to grow all of the food within the tank. Completely self sustaining!
-food [feeds]

-Algae [SAE, Red Cheery Shrimp, Amano Shrimp, Snails, supliments others]
-Snails [Angelicus Loaches]
-Blackworms [Angelicus Loaches, SAE, occasionally Ember Tetras]
-Shrimp [Angelicus Loaches, SAE, Ember Tetras]
-Whatever heavy planted other organisms exists [All]

Once a week I grind a single flake in there for the embers
Every two weeks throw in a quarter of a algae disk for everyone else.
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
Live!

I try to grow all of the food within the tank. Completely self sustaining!
-food [feeds]

-Algae [SAE, Red Cheery Shrimp, Amano Shrimp, Snails, supliments others]
-Snails [Angelicus Loaches]
-Blackworms [Angelicus Loaches, SAE, occasionally Ember Tetras]
-Shrimp [Angelicus Loaches, SAE, Ember Tetras]
-Whatever heavy planted other organisms exists [All]

Once a week I grind a single flake in there for the embers
Every two weeks throw in a quarter of a algae disk for everyone else.
How do you grow black worm within the tank? Mine die <48hours. I think they drown. They don't seem to be a purely aquatic organism.

A tank is not truly self-sustaining if flakes and algae disks are being added, even if ever so sparingly.

Self sustaining systems where all of the food is grown within the tank are possible, but the fish need to make up less of a bio-load than is normally practiced. That inch per gallon rule or whatever it is now won't suffice, that's too much fish.

It's also easier with herbivores vs omnivores, and easier with omnivores vs carnivores. Easier outdoors (in 80 degree temperatures obviously) where insects can fall in and mosquitos can breed. Easier with small fish that can survive on "Whatever heavy planted other organisms exists" vs larger fish (low on the food chain).

I've seen a large (55g) heavily planted tank with male Guppy and male Sparkling Gourami that was really completely self-sustaining. It was kept outside at an outdoor market in the tropics. The owner used it as a holding tank to sell his live plants from and added fish to eliminate mosquitos. The operative term here being "male fish" because if breeding is permitted to occur the fish (even cannibalistic ones) will eventually become stunted.

I notice a troubling trend in modern aquarium keepers, where the measure of welfare seems to be steeped solely in terms of survival: if the fishes live, things are good, if the fishes die, things are bad. It is an inappropriate position to take. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode