Where Does Oil Slick-like Film Come From? - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where Does Oil Slick-like Film Come From?

Have you ever noticed oil slick in your Aquarium, where does the oil slick-like film come from in your aquarium?

~ Glen Community Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used to think it was from food's, or possibly coating on some aquarium gravel in tank's with no plant's, but after switching food's,and going with just plain rinsed sand,I still saw/see it on occasion.Maybe wood leaching ,or food trapped behind rock's or wood in the tank?
If it is any consolation, it seem's to diminish as the tank ages for me.
In meantime, I use spray bar to create rippling on the surface which break's it up, and it is less of an eye sore.
I also see it sometimes if I spoon too much fertilizer in my planted tank's.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower

One reason, I think, it might be from wood, leaking tannins or resin or something.

I have just started another aquarium recently. I washed the substrate, I put inf water, and left it for about a week. No problem, clear and fluid water.

I put in a piece of wood that had been soaking for about two months.

At this point, there is no water pump or filter installed. Just water, sand, wood.

The next day, there was a thin film on the top of the aquarium with trapped air bubbles in it on the surface. About 3 days later, the film and bubbles are still there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	599537  

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	599545  

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
It's probably a biofilm made up of bacteria that lives on the surface. They can look oily sometimes. Who knows what it is feeding off.

Zapins
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bio-film - is a thin film on the surface of aquarium water, caused by the build up of protein from organic waste material. It is the structure bacteria build to support themselves growing on the surface where they get access to oxygen.
bweazel, bweazel, Termato and 9 others like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My ramshorn snails love that film. I only see it in newer tanks, and tanks with too little surface agitation. Not so much of a problem with hob filters. They seem to do an OK job at churning the stuff.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just got a skimmer attachment for my canisters that took care of the film in an instant. Only issue now is my rimless tanks evaporate noticeably faster.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I run air stone for about 2 hrs every day before and after photoperiod and never see the film again.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Bio-film - is a thin film on the surface of aquarium water, caused by the build up of protein from organic waste material. It is the structure bacteria build to support themselves growing on the surface where they get access to oxygen.
This.

Fluval Spec tanks are notorious for having film build. The filter is shaped in a way that intakes water from below the top of the water level, and extake is also below the top of the water level. So near no surface agitation takes place.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Material accumulates at the water-air interface of all natural water bodies to form a surface film. The interface is a dynamic environment, so surface films are altered by water movement, solar radiation, and biological processes. These films consist of a complex array of organic matter and microorganisms. This can reduce O2 diffusion and CO2 loss.

There are many many factors that influence these films.. every tank would have a unique variety of microorganisms and differing types and levels of organic matter.

I've seen it when dosing higher levels of iron, adding new wood that leaches organics and when feeding fish a little too well.

The notion that iron is the sole cause of these surface films is commonly dismissed, but I've seen it happen repeatedly. I worked hard to remove confounding variables because I didn't believe what I was seeing. I could induce it with iron dosing alone several times. Within 24hrs of a new dose surface film would increase then slowly decline until the next dose was added. I just don't get what else it could be.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Algae Grower

I know that at least in marine environments, the oily film can sometimes come from the fish itself. Speckled Trout, for example, often regurgitate food and the oil resultant of this floats to the surface. Many anglers actually locate schools of trout by sight simply by locating "oil slicks" that form on the surface of the water from this. I'm sure not every fish does this, but I'm also sure that if you truly have oily substances gathering on the surface, it could be produced by your livestock.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
I noticed I got it more once my plants all died back from crypt melt. I never had it before until then

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Ya... agreed. I notice this is all of my new tanks. The film usually goes away a month after the tank cycles though. I usually just use a single paper towel draped across the water to get it off. Works perfectly.

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

I noticed this on my new tank. I assumed it was from my sand substrate (Black Diamond blasting sand from Tractor Supply). I noticed it has small metallic specs in it along with the oily looking film. I rinsed the sand many times in a bucket, and it appeared to be the same film. I also noticed the film showed back up when I stirred up the substrate to put in driftwood and plants. I ended up just getting an "Eheim Skim 350" surface skimmer pump. I left it on high for about 20 minutes and the entire surface was clear. Since the high setting also pulled in some bubbles, I reduced it to low (by using a simple shutter style slide switch), and now I have a crystal clear surface with no added micro bubbles in the tank. Best $26.24 I have spent so far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eheaim surface skimmer pump.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	619865  

Last edited by justin-branam; 04-13-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: correcting my horrible grammar!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Running a powerhead at the surface, in a way that it lifts the water a little bit against the side of the tank on the surface, will take the mess from the top of the water and deposit it on the glass where you can wipe it off. It should only take a few minutes... something I recently discovered by accident. (PS, do it in the dark period cause it is going to outgas your CO2.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode