3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

PTrader: (0/0%)
What Is The Ideal Photoperiod Duration?

What is the ideal photoperiod duration for a high/low maintenance aquarium

~ Glen Community Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What's with all the one line open ended questions admin?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
It's for the home page. In this case, it's a really good discussion question. The tank, though, while pretty, doesn't have much in the way of plants, which are what make the photoperiod question relevant. Perhaps a more plant-centric pic might have been a better choice? Again, though, discus are very pretty
Mikeygmzmg and Mikeygmzmg like this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've always been told 8 hours.

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It can not be the same for all the plants. Some plants use light as a cue, some use darkness. Even the period of time some plants spend in the dark (respiration mode) will make a huge difference in their growth. From the tables and literature I looked at, 8 hours of darkness seems to be about the sweet spot. I would venture, the "higher light" period should be somewhere in excess of 8 hours to about 10 hours, with the rest made up of dusk and dawn, were light would hit water bodies at very oblique angles in nature. Most of the aquarium plants seem to be from the belt around the equator. apart from floating and marginal plants I don't think I have ever seen any aquatic plants in the western cape for instance. I have done quite a bit of freshwater angling....

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

After well over 50 years of fish-keeping, on & off, I'd have to peg it between 7 and 8 hours daily for most plants, maintained @ high or low tech.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Going between 11.5ish and 12.5ish hours as the seasons change.

a 40g reef
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Planted Member

24/7 for a fry grow out tank, at least until they're off BBS, vinegar, banana, walter, &/or micro worm. Then, assuming tropical plant/fish species of equatorial origin, gradually decrease to 12hrs

For temperate species @ Northern hemisphere, e.g. Elodea canadensis, Macropodus ocellatus, etc, ~18hrs late June / early July, ~6hrs late December / early January.

Do temperate plant species "burn out" if not cooled down a few months each year? Many of AquaBid's "US Native Fish" for example will die prematurely if Winter-like conditions are not mimicked.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

First, thank you for listening to the community feedback and replacing those articles with themes that we can debate and share our experience about.

The ideal length of the period will depend from aquarium to aquarium and is hard to find the exact duration that gives maximum returns with minimal adverse effects.

Also it is important to understand that light strength and light duration are not in a simple mathematical relationship; ie. keeping a light at 1/3 strength for 18 hours is not the same as keeping it at full strength for 6 hours.

That being said, I start new aquariums with 6h and then go up. All plants I had survived at this light duration. However I noticed red plants become redder as the light duration increases.

I also suggest 8h is a good spot. 12h would be the top for stronger light.

Some plants will close up when their photoperiod is close to the end (Althernathera, Rotala..). Run a stable photoperiod over a long time. Then start the photoperiod 4 hours later, you will see some plants still close up at the previous closing hour.

Here are another things to consider:

How long does it take for the plants to change their internal clock and adjust to new light schedules?

What is the impact of environmental light ?

On hiatus till later this year
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

wow that set up is amazing
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaliberti View Post
24/7 for a fry grow out tank, at least until they're off BBS, vinegar, banana, walter, &/or micro worm. Then, assuming tropical plant/fish species of equatorial origin, gradually decrease to 12hrs

For temperate species @ Northern hemisphere, e.g. Elodea canadensis, Macropodus ocellatus, etc, ~18hrs late June / early July, ~6hrs late December / early January.

Do temperate plant species "burn out" if not cooled down a few months each year? Many of AquaBid's "US Native Fish" for example will die prematurely if Winter-like conditions are not mimicked.
24/7 light for fry? just curious about this why?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Walstad recommends 12-14hrs in her book which I imagine suits the method she made popular.

I tend to run 8-9hrs ongoing for CO2 injected tanks whether medium or high light. I start new tanks at 6hrs and build from there.

Low techs I run from 6hrs to 12hrs depending on the strength of the light, plants in situ etc.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Planted Member

@Kampo

It's one of the 5 tactics used to "power grow" fry, i.e. grow them at the absolute fastest rate possible. I'm not advocating it, but it does have its advantages.

I began noticing differences in fry growth rates over the years while raising fry at tropical latitudes (12hrs), northern latitude during Winter (~6hrs), and northern latitude during Summer (~18hrs). So then I took it a step further and left the lights on 24/7. They consumed more food, even nocturnal/crepuscular species, and grew faster. I don't have scientific supporting data, but it works, I've seen it with my own eyes.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

interesting, I was planning a freshwater sump/refugeum that would double as a fry growout tank so interesting idea, good to know if I did extended photoperiod on the refugeum it wouldn't hurt the fry.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so on this topic. I have my first light that can very brightness. is it gonig to cause algea issues to have the tank in "dusk" mode 3 hours on either side of my true photoperiod (prolly 10par or less) and then have full brightness 6-8hrs (30ish par)?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode