What Is Your Opinion On Canister Filters ? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have Eheim 2217 it is great, the only downside i see : no baskets, you have to empty it completely for maintenance.

I have seen really good comments on the last Rena's canisters and SunSun's.

HOB the waterfall can be loud and can degazz co2.

I may try the fluidized bed filters in a couple of years.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmetless Stig View Post
I'm very happy with my marineland emperor 400 HOB. Lots of space for your own media, pretty quiet, and 400 GPH. All that for just $50!
Those filters are really good for 40-55G tanks. I have a few of those.

Once you go bigger, I've found it easier to have canister filters. The size of HOBs just become too big at that point and aren't efficient. I've been having better results running canister filters on tanks 75G and larger. Clear water, far easier maintenance, longer lasting, and better looking equipment. I even run some of my 29s off of canisters. It makes it easier to put the tank in weird places, etc.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbichou View Post
Can a planted tank do well without any filtration?
My wheelhouse now! I have a blog dedicated to keeping fish and plants without filters, just heaters and maybe airstones. aquariumexperiments.com

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Planted Member

Too expensive, too much maintenance, too much replacing filter media! Hamburg Mat Filter Is my favourite. With proper stocking you never have to clean it. I've seen HMF filters that have been running for over 8 years without ever being removed from the tank. You can also use them as a vertical surface to grow plants, and grow plants riparium style on top of them

I put Dirt in my tanks
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderman204 View Post
Too expensive, too much maintenance, too much replacing filter media! Hamburg Mat Filter Is my favourite. With proper stocking you never have to clean it. I've seen HMF filters that have been running for over 8 years without ever being removed from the tank. You can also use them as a vertical surface to grow plants, and grow plants riparium style on top of them
I love mine, get about a years worth of time between cleanings

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Planted Member

I would like to add that a lot depends on whether the tank is drilled or not. Canisters make better sense for non-drilled tanks as it eliminates external overflows etc that add cost and complexity. A drilled tank can go either way, I had a canister on a drilled 90 gal and then switched to a sump for maintenance and flexibility, but it is much more noisy. The surface skimming was a bigger benefit, however.

I like that fact that with a sump, it is easier to do partial changes of anything and also it is easy to keep cycled material for the once in while quarantine or hospital tank. Adding ferts and top off water easier too. Most canisters are solid and not see thru so it is hard to see mechanical filtration status.

Born a Pisces, Always a Pisces
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Algae Grower

Canisters are very good with CO2 , I use Eheim Classics on all of my plant tanks except 2 which have cheap Chinese air powered sponge filters and CO2 , I use Fluval canisters on Cichlid tanks when I have them and Air powered sponges on all of my Melanotaenea and Psedomugil breeding tanks ( Aussie/ Newguinea natives ).
I used to have a Sump based system with all of my tanks plumbed to a single sump and return . . A bacterial disease wiped out 90% of my fish - you live and learn .
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbybills View Post
I would like to add that a lot depends on whether the tank is drilled or not. Canisters make better sense for non-drilled tanks as it eliminates external overflows etc that add cost and complexity. A drilled tank can go either way, I had a canister on a drilled 90 gal and then switched to a sump for maintenance and flexibility, but it is much more noisy. The surface skimming was a bigger benefit, however.

I like that fact that with a sump, it is easier to do partial changes of anything and also it is easy to keep cycled material for the once in while quarantine or hospital tank. Adding ferts and top off water easier too. Most canisters are solid and not see thru so it is hard to see mechanical filtration status.

I have to agree with this, if you don't want to drill, or can't a canister is the way to go. If You have a tank setup for a sump or are not afraid to drill a sump is the way to go space permitting.

I started out HOB, then went canister, and after a year am finally on a sump setup running under a reef ready tank. I will agree they are more noisy but if you do it right you just have a nice background trickle, though in the bedroom that might be an issue. Also I have noticed Co2 off gassing is not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be during my research, I add a few more BPS and that made up for it.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
I have to agree with this, if you don't want to drill, or can't a canister is the way to go. If You have a tank setup for a sump or are not afraid to drill a sump is the way to go space permitting.

I started out HOB, then went canister, and after a year am finally on a sump setup running under a reef ready tank. I will agree they are more noisy but if you do it right you just have a nice background trickle, though in the bedroom that might be an issue. Also I have noticed Co2 off gassing is not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be during my research, I add a few more BPS and that made up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony-tail View Post
I used to have a Sump based system with all of my tanks plumbed to a single sump and return . . A bacterial disease wiped out 90% of my fish - you live and learn .
I have a friend who runs a setup like that and does not do a QT, no thanks.

Here fishy fishy.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 AM
Planted Member

I have an Eheim 2026 running on my 72 g. It's the same Eheim 2026 I had running on my 125 g over 10 years ago. I spent about $30 on parts to get back up and running. 10 years, under $200. That's not expensive that's a steal.

I have it set up in a planted tank with a high fish load right now. No detectable Ammonia or Nitrite. I had it set up in a large SA Cichlid tank with a high fish load back when I got it, never any dectable Ammonia or Nitrite. While using it in conjunction with Bio Wheel HOB's, I'd still say that there is imperical evidence that they can be highly effective at both mechanical and biological filtration equally. Same for Bio Wheel HOB's.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower

I used to use Hagen Fluval C4 (HOB) in my tank but then I switched to Hagen Fluval 206 (Canister). I find that I always had to clean the HOB twice or thrice a month due to the molds and scum I get from my tank. It somehow clogs the white fabric where the water trickles on the biological filter. The canister on the other hand is on a different level. The Hagen Fluval 206 has four stages of filtration; mechanical and three biological or chemical depends on how you want to play it. In my case, after the mechanical I use the first two racks as biological filters then the last rack for chemical. I use Purigen in it. The water in my aquarium tank is like gin xD.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

I find that canisters work great as a biological filter but are poor at particle filtration. I use both canister and HOB (best for particle filtration) in the same tank. HOBs are easy to clean and maintain and by using these I greatly extend the time between canister cleanings. Water quality is very important to me and by using both systems I get very good results. Also, by using both systems, I get great water movement and surface turbulence.... no need for air stones or water movement pumps.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I opted for canisters on my show tank and HOB's for quarantine or just on hand in case of an emergency. I like hiding the filter, I don't want to see it or hear it...plus lilly pipes look great on a rimless tank.

I could imagine maintenance is much faster on a HOB if you can stand to look at the thing :p

I run 2 overly expensive canisters the Fluvial fx-6 and Eheim professional 3e. I also have a Eheim classic that was much much cheaper and works just fine.
The Fx-6 can't be beat on large 100 gallon plus tanks. The Eheim 3e has a built in computer, it's pretty fancy for a filter honestly, some might say totally unnecessary. Some of it's features include a built in primer button, computer that controls flow/speed with manual adjustment, auto flow adjustment to avoid pump burn out if it senses filter obstruction, 4 stages of filtration.

I stopped buying the expensive filter pad replacements and just buy bulk filter floss, that's how I save money now after that initial investment.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

I love my canister filters, i run two on my 5ft tank. They are by far the easiest filter i have used and i like that can get away without cleaning them out for longer periods of time, compared to other filter types. I fill mine with marine pure, filter wool and sponge and they do the trick very well. I do maintenance on mine every 2 to 3 months or so, replace the filter wool and give the marine pure a rinse with tank water if it gets to much gunk in their.

Mine are quiet, easy to hide and when filled with a good bio media can deal with a larger bio load without an issue.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For me I would run from a canister. I have not had much luck with them not leaking. One is sitting in a bucket every time I shut it off it leaks. For smaller tanks under 30 gallon I like hob over 40 gallon a sumps the only way to go. I have one sump running two tanks and another on a 180. They are so easy to maintain and low cost. I always dread replace canister media.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post

I have seen really good comments on the last Rena's canisters and SunSun's.
I have 2 SunSuns (302 and 304-b) and am growing to dislike them more and more. The media baskets do not like to go in straight so the lid does not sit right and I have to pull them out and restack a few times. Recently the media baskets have started getting stuck in the canister and the handle pops off when trying to lift them out. Any additional pain during canister filter maintenance is too much.
I like Fluvals, Renas have never done me wrong, my Cascade is OK. I had an Eheim for a while, I don't remember having any problems with it.
Changing out filter socks in a sump is really easy and satisfying after mucking with canisters for years.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode