Epiphyte Terrarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Epiphyte Terrarium

I have a pair of crested geckos that have been through multiple terrarium setups due to different failures. The latest problem was that I used dirt that happened to be infested with fungus gnats (got it at Home Depot) and they quickly infested our whole house. No one was very happy with me to say the least, and I had to take the geckos out and try again. So, this time I'm ditching the dirt completely and I'm hoping I can get a bromeliad dominated terrarium to work

I ordered a ton of cork bark from a seller on Ebay which I hope should get here tomorrow. My first thought was to cover the backand side walls with the cork and use silicne to glue it on, however I'm thinking that planting the larger plants (I have a large anthurium and some bigger broms) on a vertical wall would be quite difficult. So I came up with an idea to make "branches" that I can plant on. That would give the geckos some more climbing stuff too. I attached a mock-up of what I'd like to do. I'm thinking of getting some 1.5 or 2" PVC and a bunch of fittings to make them, and then I can use to cork instead to cover the pipe. If this ends up being what I do, I can't figure out how I'm going to stick the PVC to the wall. I'm thining maybe squirting Great Stuff around the insides of the tubes (would it cure enclosed inside the tubes?) and smearing silicone around the outside. Then I can glue the leftover cork around where the tubes touch the wall.

Anywhoo I tried to post this before with embedded pics and it won't let me, so no pics right now!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Also, I'm unsure of how to transition the plants I have growing in soil in there now (a couple small broms and an anthurium) to growing as epiphytes. I can't just dig them up, rinse off the roots, and stick them to the cork, or can I?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
ok, this should work, but what are you going to use on the bottom for substrate?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

also, are you breeding this pair of geckos? cause they will not lay eggs without substrate or a hidebox...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Probably just paper towels or something like that. I'm only growing plants on the cork bark so the bottom will be bare.

Yeah I have a m/f pair. I have an egg laying box (tupperware container filled with damp vermiculite and it has a hole in the lid) for the female but no eggs so far
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

i would recommend a thin layer of coconut fiber on the bottom instead of paper towels... this way they will be forced to use the hidebox. Also, paper towel will not hold humidity as well as the coco will..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Wouldnt they use the box anyways? If it was just bare?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:27 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

yes, but they won't breed because the enviorment won't be right without a eco or mulch bottom

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode