Need help with new palidarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with new palidarium

I have a standard 55 gal tank that I have successfully subdivided into an aquatic and terrestrial land scape. The aquatic side is approx 13.5 gal and spills over to the land which is elevated with "hydroballs" and aquarium gravel for some poison darts I plan to place. My big questions are:

1) My lighting source is a standard 48" shop light with two 40w T12 "plant and aqarium" bulbs which are supposed to be full spectrum grow lights. I also have a 60w blue day light on the land portion to help elevate the temp and provide some UVa for the frogs. First, will this light be sufficient for growing aquatic and terrestrial plants? Second, I have covered my screen lid with plastic cling wrap to balance my humididty. This has worked well but, I am wondering if the light will be effected by this?

2) Now that I have achieved a constant 80-90% humididty for my frogs, I have noticed some nice white mold growing in places. How can I control this and will it harm the frogs?

Thanks a million. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:13 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
how deep is the water gonna be?
PDF can easily drown in water needer than 2.5"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

The water is 10.5" deep on the aquatic side but only an inch or so deep in one spot on the land side.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
My answers will be in a color like this to avoid confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisher View Post
I have a standard 55 gal tank that I have successfully subdivided into an aquatic and terrestrial land scape. The aquatic side is approx 13.5 gal and spills over to the land which is elevated with "hydroballs" and aquarium gravel for some poison darts I plan to place. My big questions are:

Your statement sugguests that you don't have the PDF's now.

1) My lighting source is a standard 48" shop light with two 40w T12 "plant and aqarium" bulbs which are supposed to be full spectrum grow lights. I also have a 60w blue day light on the land portion to help elevate the temp and provide some UVa for the frogs. First, will this light be sufficient for growing aquatic and terrestrial plants? Second, I have covered my screen lid with plastic cling wrap to balance my humididty. This has worked well but, I am wondering if the light will be effected by this?

Generally in a tank that size you would want more lighting, however, because of the actual water volume, the lighting should be sufficient to grow many aquatic plants as well as some terrestrial plants. The plastic will effect the quality of light that reaches the plants. Even glass will effect the quality of light reaching the plants but I believe to a much lesser degree. I would use glass to cover instead.

2) Now that I have achieved a constant 80-90% humididty for my frogs, I have noticed some nice white mold growing in places. How can I control this and will it harm the frogs?

Sprintails, a type of insect, will control the mold and may also provide a tasty snack for your PDF's. I do not believe the mold will be harmful to your PDF's. Terrariums, Vivariums and Paludariums go through many cycles that include these mold blooms.

Thanks a million. I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.

I wish you all the best

I quit!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
It might also be good to increase ventillation, both to prevent/deter mold and keep the air quality good for your frogs. What about slightly less plastic covering replaced by more frequent mistings if/as needed?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

water is too deep
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

wespastor:

Thanks for your help. I am waiting for the frogs to ship; Due to weather they wont be here until next week. I wanted to get things up and running before I put the frogs in the enclosure.

Where can I get sprintails?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisher View Post
wespastor:

Thanks for your help. I am waiting for the frogs to ship; Due to weather they wont be here until next week. I wanted to get things up and running before I put the frogs in the enclosure.

Where can I get sprintails?
While I have had no personal experience with this company I have heard many great thing about them on other boards.
joshsfrogs

I quit!

Last edited by wespastor; 01-07-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Miss spelled word
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

Joshsfrogs are legit. Also try blackjungle.com

Dude I dunno what you are gonna do about that deep water, but the poison darts will get in there and die.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
Joshsfrogs are legit. Also try blackjungle

Dude I dunno what you are gonna do about that deep water, but the poison darts will get in there and die.
Have you ever had PDFs die in deep water? There are plenty of reports of people's PDFs swimming in the water features. Of course, some species are better swimmers than others.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 PM

You also might consider getting some woodlice in your terrarium. They have more powerful jaws than springtails and can eat through tougher mold in my experience (I recommend both).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

i have lost PDF in deep water, sorry so late on the answer, fogot about the thread... those bad boys cannot swin and water should never be deeper than 2.5-3"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode