New to ripariums.. lost on where to start? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to ripariums.. lost on where to start?

I'd like to start a riparium and have done some research, but have not found any in-depth articles, so I'm hoping I could get some help on the questions below.

- If you put root tabs into the planters, do the ferts leech out into the water column? If so, is it a good idea to just let the plants feed off water column dosing instead of using root tabs?

- Which plants work in a low-humidity setup? I've heard many need a fogger of some sort.

- What planter sizes do you reccomend for a 20 gallon high?(in other words, for smaller to medium sized plants)

- I've seen some people use a type of black foam with the planters to root plants in...what is this and where could I obtain some?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I've not used root tabs for that exact concern and instead dose liquid ferts into the tank, the plants are doing very well with this method of plant feeding. I use seachem ferts but there are plenty of fert dosing options.

There are a LOT of low humidity plants, many house plants work great as riparium plants. Typically keeping emersed form of aquatic plants (some exceptions being pennywort, ludwigia, and creeping jenny) and some more tropical plants need the higher humidity.
Starter list of easy low humidity and low light plants:
pothos
purple waffle
wandering jew
peace lily
arrowhead plant
dwarf palm
You can find a larger list here, contributed by members of the forum: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/25...lant-list.html

I've found it more depends on the plants you are keeping than the tank to decide on planter size, some don't stay that small (for example my dwarf palm and peace lily 'dominio' are 24" tall and several inches wide and need a larger container).
Photobucket is not working atm so I can't link photos of the planters I use but they're just simple cheap plastic shower caddies (google "shower caddie riparium planter") I got for $2-$3 at my local grocery store (also check dollar stores).

The black foam "riparium trellis rafts" you are asking about were sold by a member of this forum, hydrophyte, here and at their riparium supply site but they no longer sell them.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
I'd like to start a riparium and have done some research, but have not found any in-depth articles, so I'm hoping I could get some help on the questions below.

- If you put root tabs into the planters, do the ferts leech out into the water column? If so, is it a good idea to just let the plants feed off water column dosing instead of using root tabs?

- Which plants work in a low-humidity setup? I've heard many need a fogger of some sort.

- What planter sizes do you reccomend for a 20 gallon high?(in other words, for smaller to medium sized plants)

- I've seen some people use a type of black foam with the planters to root plants in...what is this and where could I obtain some?
I've never heard of using root fertilizers in a riparium, most of them function like a hydroponic setup and get the nutrients from the water column (co2/excel aren't needed, the plants get that from the atmosphere). About all you need is something for the plant to root in (or more accurately something to hold the plant) I have used foam blocks (think filter foam) and pea stone, as well as just bare roots in water, all have worked. Others have used felt and hydrotone and other materials with success as well.

Here is a thread with a list of plants that some of us on the forum have tried, is not exhaustive but it'll give you a good starting point https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/25...lant-list.html

And Here is a thread with some build styles, is recent and most of us should respond if you have specific questions on building one. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/25...-planters.html also those foam rafts you
Were wondering about are from ripariumsupply.com I've never used them, but that's where from

Lastly add to planter size, the bigger the better, they're addictive... And you'll definitely want more space

Help build the [
] and [
]

Last edited by theatermusic87; 01-29-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Fixed link

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
I've never heard of using root fertilizers in a riparium, most of them function like a hydroponic setup and get the nutrients from the water column (co2/excel aren't needed, the plants get that from the atmosphere). About all you need is something for the plant to root in (or more accurately something to hold the plant) I have used foam blocks (think filter foam) and pea stone, as well as just bare roots in water, all have worked. Others have used felt and hydrotone and other materials with success as well.

Here is a thread with a list of plants that some of us on the forum have tried, is not exhaustive but it'll give you a good starting point https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/25...lant-list.html

And Here is a thread with some build styles, is recent and most of us should respond if you have specific questions on building one. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/25...-planters.html also those foam rafts you
Were wondering about are from ripariumsupply.com I've never used them, but that's where from

Lastly add to planter size, the bigger the better, they're addictive... And you'll definitely want more space
Thank you! This is a great starting point. Would you say a 2" cube is too small for a planter? What do you usually go with?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I make planters from the needlepoint craft stuff . I just let mine root into the water so 2" is fine for me .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
Thank you! This is a great starting point. Would you say a 2" cube is too small for a planter? What do you usually go with?
I usually stick plants into my hob filter and let them grow there. My riparium is actually a window planter above the tank that is planted to look like a riparium (I don't like the look of roots in the water) look at my signature for more build details

Help build the [
] and [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode