How do you water a paludarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you water a paludarium?

--- I didn't get any traction on the General forums, so I am posting here since it would make more sense ---

Hi All, I wanted to get some ideas and input from experienced paludarium hobbyists on how to water a paludarium? I've done some research and I've either seen setups with humidifiers that feed mist at certain intervals or setups that have a pond pump, or similar, and cascade water down, like a drip system of sorts? Are these the only ways of watering a paludarium?

Do the land plants pick up moisture from the aquarium water and is that how they feed their roots?

For example, how is this paludarium being watered? Link

I've kept planted tanks for years now and want to try my hand at something new so the more research I have going into this build the better.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

~ fv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your link does not work.

Maybe this will help. Paludarium comes from 2 latin words - 'palus' meaning swamp/bog/landing and 'arium' meaning space or dedicated space.

So a paludarium is essentially a swampy landing place. The way I have understood this is that your plants will be plants whose roots are happy in water/very moist substrate. In all my paludariums past and present, the plants on the landing get all their water from the water below. Mist systems and foggers are useful to keep up humidity and to provide water for epiphytes (typically), but not usually used to water the land mass - you start to get into terrariums if you're going to be having soil masses separated from water sources.

Honestly though, I don't think there are any rules or anything. As long as you can give the plants what they need, you can water (or not) however you'd like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
paludarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode