lighting for riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
lighting for riparium

Can someone give me suggestions for lighting on a 29 gallon riparium tank that will house fire bellies, aquatic plants, and other low light plants? I have used a double bulb fixture on a similiar planted tank with low lights but didn't know if that would be appropriate for the fire bellies. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I can't speak for fire bellies or say what will work best for you, but I have used 13 watt 6500k cfl bulbs in clamp on reflector lamps for my 20g long 3x (30" long tank) (low light riparium and aquatic plants) the lights are 6-12" away from the riparium plants. I also have a 4' 6500k double bulb T5 on a 55g riparium (no aquatic plants) that's over 24" above the tank 's to trim (and my monstrous riparium plants are growing up past it).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So do you think a single bulb fixture with at least 14 watts may work?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'd probably go with 2

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have been rethinking my tank...decided to have the plants I want and allow them to grow my top needs to be open therefore will not have fire bellies...have fish instead. So what suggestions for lighting for the plants...Will hang fixture above 29 gallon...budget friendly please
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am "bumping" this thread because I still need suggestions please...owners of riparium....what are you using as lights? As I mentioned...29 gallon...aquatic low light plants in water section...other plants in"suction" type planter or attached to driftwood. Light will be suspended above tank. LED or aquarium or hydroponic...budget friendly is necessary. Need someone to suggest what they are using that works for adequate plant growth.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would purchase two clamp lights from home depot and add two 23W bulbs. Only challenge would be finding a way to raise up the lights
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinator View Post
I would purchase two clamp lights from home depot and add two 23W bulbs. Only challenge would be finding a way to raise up the lights
I keep my clamp lamps on a simple cheap chain (can also get at home depot) and a hook that screws into the ceiling. I use a long chain that I can loop over the hook to shorten/lengthen distance of light from tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My only thought is if you're doing CFLs, might as well bump it up to 32 or even 42 watts, unless that's too bright for you. I'm using two 2700K 42w CFLs in my 20 gal long setup, but it's not really "low light" so maybe it would be overkill for you. Most plants (even low light) won't complain about a little more light, IMO. But I'm relatively new to the planted tank hobby, so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited by winn; 01-11-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What wattage you use depends on what plants you keep. Some riparium plants do worst in higher light like lucky bamboo and I recall being told told prayer plant tends to wilt/die off a bit if lighting is too strong. Its good to know what you are keeping (full plant list) first.

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know the aquatic plants will be out of another tank...java, anubia, low light stem or two. As far as the "riparium" plants I have not planned that out. It will be easily available ones online or nurseries, etc, while I am trying out the set up. My concern is "spill" into the room...will there be much with the lights mentioned? Do they get hot? I am not experienced with anything except florescent.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode