Need suggestions for vivarium inhabitants please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need suggestions for vivarium inhabitants please

Hello! I wasn't sure quite where this might fit but I am looking to set up a naturalistic vivarium so I thought I'd inquire about potential inhabitants here. I'm open to any eco-type as long as the inhabitant(s) will thrive on diet consisting entirely of melanogaster and hydei fruit flies, springtails, isopods, bean beetles, and field plankton (when in season). Of course these insects will be dusted with the appropriate supplements. I already keep dart frogs (hence the tiny feeders) and I'm not willing to do crickets or roaches based on past experience with both. I've looked into Sphaerodactylus and one or two species of Gonatodes geckos, which are fascinating, but I just want to explore my options entirely. Thanks in advance for any recommendations .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
have you considered rhacodactylus auriculatus? they are a very cool species and are quite undemanding as far as care requirements go, I keep a breeding pair in a 10g tank and they do very well. I think one of the best things about these little guys is that no live food is required. Repashy super foods makes a powder diet that can be mixed into a baby type diet and fed to them in small bowls through out the terrarium.

Rhacodactylus ciliatus (crested gecko) have the exact same care requirments and are also quite attractive

rhacodactylus chahoua are also similair in care requirement and are rather attractive, depending on the size of the enclosure and the substrate you may end up with a small breeding project on your hands...

hope this helps

hit me up with any questions...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I was also going to suggest Crested geckos. They'll go after crickets but they aren't strictly necessary, the other nice thing is that they are a temperate rainforest species, so they don't really need extra heat sources like most reptiles, in fact, people who keep many reptiles and have warmer "reptile rooms" often have to house these guys in another room because they will get too hot. I have one and he's a really fun little guy and very low demand as far as care is concerned. I imagine you could try some of the other insects as a form of enrichment, because mine does like to hunt the crickets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hermit Crabs... They eat powdered food tho... I have one and I am willing to give it or sell it... If you are interested, PM me
Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode