Will this work? no "dirt" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Will this work? no "dirt"

I have been reading...researching...in an attempt to see if what I would like to do in a 40 gallon corner aquarium will work. I want to do a paludarium..riparian...or whatever it may be for plants and red bellied toads). I would like to do with no substrate..or at least no "dirt". Is this possible? Use rocks and driftwood to give places for rbt to get out of water and attach emmersed plants. Maybe some type of cork to attach plants to sides. I will be using a filtration system of some sort, hood with lights for plants, some screen for ventilation but has to be secure to house the net. The water level level will be maybe 6-8 inches or more with aquarium plants...determined by rbt. My goal is to not have divided area...no dirt to deal with. Lots of support that fish can be placed in water area and do ok with rbt with flirtation...anyone have experience with this type of set up? My focus will be plants but like to have frog..toad...etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
I have been reading...researching...in an attempt to see if what I would like to do in a 40 gallon corner aquarium will work. I want to do a paludarium..riparian...or whatever it may be for plants and red bellied toads). I would like to do with no substrate..or at least no "dirt". Is this possible? Use rocks and driftwood to give places for rbt to get out of water and attach emmersed plants. Maybe some type of cork to attach plants to sides. I will be using a filtration system of some sort, hood with lights for plants, some screen for ventilation but has to be secure to house the net. The water level level will be maybe 6-8 inches or more with aquarium plants...determined by rbt. My goal is to not have divided area...no dirt to deal with. Lots of support that fish can be placed in water area and do ok with rbt with flirtation...anyone have experience with this type of set up? My focus will be plants but like to have frog..toad...etc
I didnt know that RBT's and fish would flirt....lol =]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I saw that after I posted...was hoping for some input but a laugh will do

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Yea, sorry, my expertise lies in goldfish keeping =]

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
In aquariums, aquatic epiphytes (java fern, anubias etc) grow without dirt. When I first started vivariums, I was surprised by how many terrestrial epiphytes there are. Plus most aquatic epiphytes can also be grown terrestrially. I have java fern, christmas moss, anubias and bromiliads growing on wood in my vivarium. I'm sure there are lots more options, but those are the ones I have tried.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode