• 2 Post By Wilderman204
  • 4 Post By Wilderman204
  • 2 Post By Wilderman204

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
.9 gallon Nano Cube orchid riparium

Ok so technically the orchids roots aren't submersed, but they get moisture wicked up from the live moss and driftwood. But I think this is a riparium now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	563993  

HDBenson and HDBenson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very cool!
Have you considered a snail or two as fauna and a little bit of extra nutrient for your plants?
Have you seen copepods or other little bugs scooting around in there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
How long has this been setup?
It is very cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm curious about what you have setup behind the tank, where it looks like a filter is
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

There is a planted 2gallon hex tank behind, with an aquaclear20 that I am going to put a plant in. But it's not ready for pictures yet.
This has been going for about a month, I moved the orchid while it was already blooming. But I gave it some kelp fertilizer first and that seemed to prevent much transplant shock.

That black gravel is fluorite black, and there is a pinch of mineralized topsoil,sul-po-mag, and food grade diatomaceous earth under it. There is crypt parva behind the rock(above area with MTS), eleocharis acicularis mini infront of Rock, and anubias nana petite on the wood and right beside the rock. Duck weed on the surface and Weeping moss growing on the wood over the orchid roots. All I do is top it of with RO water. There is no algae so I don't want to add snails. I haven't tested water at all. There are cyclops , daphnia and other Copepoda swimming about. I added them a week ago from another established tank and looks like they are living and breeding. I think they are living off white fuzz on the wood and biofilm.
This is really just an over the top orchid planter lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Some H. tripartida or, H. 'Japan' emersed and a few other emersed stems in the cube would look great, IMO. However, this looks awesome already! I've been wanting to do something similar to this for some of my Orchids and Broms. Keep us updated, I'm curious as to how the orchid roots will do regarding the moisture. Noticed any mold/fungus under the moss yet?

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
Some H. tripartida or, H. 'Japan' emersed and a few other emersed stems in the cube would look great, IMO. However, this looks awesome already! I've been wanting to do something similar to this for some of my Orchids and Broms. Keep us updated, I'm curious as to how the orchid roots will do regarding the moisture. Noticed any mold/fungus under the moss yet?
Thought about some hydrocotyle but this tank won't get enough light where it's going. Lots of white fungus on the wood, and a couple of orchid roots that got mushy. Tried inoculating the orchid roots with mycorrhizae, don't know if orchids even form bonds with myco fungus.
But it has finally settled in. I have never had an orchid shoot new buds right after transplanting( while flowering). It had two flower spikes, but dropped all its flowers a couple weeks after moving it. Now there are new buds forming on those flower spikes.
I give all the credit to my kelp fertilizer, this stuff is unbelievable. It's basically fermented kelp and molasses as far as I can tell. And it will make your tomato plants 6' tall and your house plants lush and colourful. almost eliminates any signs of transplant shock. Made the plants in my riparium go crazy too.

Bump: Pic

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	171
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	567665  

Views:	154
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	567673  

Views:	147
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	567681  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well the orchid just wasn't doin for me. Seemed to big for the cube, so I repotted it and planted some mondo grass and Brazilian pennywort.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	120
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	582273  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Beware the pennywort. That stuff takes off and grows like a weed emersed. Be aggressive with trimming it back or it will overshadow everything else in a month or 2.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Beware the pennywort. That stuff takes off and grows like a weed emersed. Be aggressive with trimming it back or it will overshadow everything else in a month or 2.
Hahaha thanks. I've seen what a monster it becomes emersed. This pic is an HOB filter I grew some in. It grew fast enough to cause defficencies in all the other plants in that tank lol.
Also when emersed hit it with some blue LEDs and it begins to flower. The plant in the filter flowered for 3 months straight.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	112
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	583001  

I put Dirt in my tanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Try again with a smaller Orchid like a Cattleya sp, or maybe small Masdevallia, Pleurothalis, or Bulbophyllum. They all like a bit of humidity, can take a good shower every once in a while, and can handle low-moderate lighting - minus Catt. sp. which needs drying time in between as well as more light. I like what you have going for now though! Keep it up!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode