Has anyone - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Has anyone

So I have a new idea! Currently I have a 40 breeder with 3 firebelly toads and about 15 endlers(they keep multiplying!) I siliconed a divider in and have a piece of driftwood in front

Don't mind the light. I changed it!

So, I don't have much vertical space in the land area for plants. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 65 gallon!
My idea is to put maybe a 10 gallon tank inside the tank to make a "removable" totally separate land area so there's no need to worry about silicone. This way there will be water on the sides instead of seeing silicone and dirt like I do now.
I'm thinking of making a waterfall on both sides of the land area.

Has anyone done this? Stupid? Any better ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
So I have a new idea! Currently I have a 40 breeder with 3 firebelly toads and about 15 endlers(they keep multiplying!) I siliconed a divider in and have a piece of driftwood in front

Don't mind the light. I changed it!

So, I don't have much vertical space in the land area for plants. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 65 gallon!
My idea is to put maybe a 10 gallon tank inside the tank to make a "removable" totally separate land area so there's no need to worry about silicone. This way there will be water on the sides instead of seeing silicone and dirt like I do now.
I'm thinking of making a waterfall on both sides of the land area.

Has anyone done this? Stupid? Any better ideas?

I've thought of this too! I think cleaning under and around it would be a bit of a hassle. I've never seen anyone do it, but you know somebody has tried it at least once. There are also odd shaped glass containers in hobby shops and even walmart that might work. I have considered those very large goldfish bowls.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
I've thought of this too! I think cleaning under and around it would be a bit of a hassle. I've never seen anyone do it, but you know somebody has tried it at least once. There are also odd shaped glass containers in hobby shops and even walmart that might work. I have considered those very large goldfish bowls.

I'm having a TERRIBLE time finding the size container I want for the "land" area! I've found at Petco a bookshelf aquarium which has great dimensions, is acrylic but costs $50 I don't want to spend that much to "bury" it. I can't seem to find anything used though..... What to do

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Build it yourself?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
It might be easier to do up a false bottom vivarium. Check out some of the builds here for ideas: Dendroboard

I would worry that the tank-within-a-tank might create uneven weight distribution on the larger tank, which might crack the glass. If you are set on it (rather than a false-bottom), would line the smaller tank's base with a soundproofing mat or some other layer that might help distribute the weight evenly.

7 hermit crabs var. sizes in 50 hex
2.0 guinea pigs

*rebuilding animal addiction after a cross country move.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Its honestly not that hard, just look it up on google. I am a stickler for proper masking off anywhere you don't want silicone and giving everything a good alcohol wipe before applying any.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
I'm having a TERRIBLE time finding the size container I want for the "land" area! I've found at Petco a bookshelf aquarium which has great dimensions, is acrylic but costs $50 I don't want to spend that much to "bury" it. I can't seem to find anything used though..... What to do
Acrylic might be a bad idea for this application. It scratches easily. I'd go with glass. Also, regular pyrex/glass cookware comes in many shapes and sizes. It might be worth looking at for ideas.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am planning to cover the smaller tank so you can't see it at all. I was thinking the acrylic would be better than glass on glass.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

P.S. I got quote for acrylic tank from glass cages. $180! Yikes!! $50 doesn't seem so bad now! Lol

Also I'm going to have about 8" of water in the tank. Is a false bottom still feasible? How do you keep dirt contained? I don't want it to touch any side but the back. Another reason for the tank in tank
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How about siliconing pieces of glass to the back and bottom of your tank to make your island? You'd need only 3: two sides and the front. People do this all the time to make sumps, etc.

Framing shops can cut glass to order if you don't want to cut it yourself.

Or if you want to use acrylic...it's pretty easy to cut. I buy it from Amazon. It comes in various sizes and thicknesses, and you get it cut to order as well.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking about that! I was worried the silicone might fail though. But I guess if I did glass to glass? I bought the tank today, but now I'm thinking it's not tall enough
I can't make up my mind!!
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Don't mind the closet rack. Temp spot.
So with my current piece of driftwood in front of this tank, it would give me about 6" of water space and 8" of land and 3" of the driftwood width. I have enough space on each side to run 2 filters for 2 waterfalls maybe. I still have to dismantle original tank to see how this will work. Does this seem cheesy?
The water can be almost 9" deep
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is that? A small fishtank? A plastic shoebox?

If it's plastic, you might have to put some rocks in the bottom to keep it from floating.

Looks like a nice size for what you want, anyway.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's petcos "bookshelf" aquarium. 6.6 gallon.
24" x 9" x 8" it's acrylic. Seems a bit small, but any bigger I'll lose the water area. And my frogs don't exactly move around much! Lazy!!
I'm trying to carve "rocks" out of styrofoam now for waterfalls.....
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So you shelled out the $50?

Looks good to me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode