Smallest (adult) but easy to grow Tillandsia? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By wastewater

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smallest (adult) but easy to grow Tillandsia?

This is the first time for me to try to grow Tillandsias from seeds to adults. I have fallen in love with Tillandsias since I got them for my Birthday almost a year ago. My whole life I have taken care of plants because of my father which was a florist designer, but have never worked with Tillandsias before. My father is gone now so I can not ask him any more for advice so I turn to you...

I want to start with a small easy growing Tillandsia and was wondering which of the Tillandsia species suits my wish the best. I do not have much experience on the species, only the 27 plants I own now, but those are not identified properly, I know which species they belong to but not exactly.

I have already tried some seeds which I got from a friend of a friend (by mouthsay it were Tillandsias) but those turned out to be other plants and definitly not Tillandsias. So if you know a reliable place where to buy seeds that can be sent overseas to the Netherlands that would be nice to.

I was wondering if any of you can help me decide which species is best to start growing in a very tiny available space. I have already read on the internet that Tillandsias are not very fast growers but I can be patient and willing to learn.

Hope you can help me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Welcome Xamydo!

I give you a lot of credit for growing Tillandsia from seed... can be quite a challenging and time consuming project (especially indoors), but very rewarding in the end. There are quite a few miniature species of Tillandsia that stay small in size. You might want to research the diaphoranthema group of Tillies; many of which range in the one inch (2.54 cm) size when mature.

Tillandsia tricholepis is a self pollinator, producing seed rather easily. Not a rare species by any means, but desirable *and in demand* by serious collectors. Some other good "miniature candidates" that might be desirable to work with: T. loliacea & T. funebris. Another possibility, T. ionantha (although not really considered miniature, but many ionantha species/cultivars are small in size), easy and fun to work with.

Here in the States, seeds are usually obtained from other growers that "are really into it". Most usually just acquire & start with plants (via offsets or etc.), grow them out to maturity, and then produce seed if wanted. I don't know what the laws (in regards to importing seeds and plants) are in the Netherlands.

The Netherlands is known (and held in high regards) for producing many high quality plants, so maybe you can reach out to see if there are any Tillandsia growers around your area that are producing seed stock (saves you the "case of Tylenol headaches" you may encounter with importing seeds/plants, especially pertaining to CITES species). One of the problems with Tillandsia seed is its "viability". If the seed is not "viable", disappointment is sure to follow. If I remember correctly, Tillandsioideae seed has a short viability of around 3-6 weeks.
Xamydo and Xamydo like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you very much for your response.

I have looked up the diaphoranthema group of Tillys and they are adorable. I will try to find a grower in the Netherlands that sells them so I can start growing too.

Tags
seed, tillandsia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode