American Toad Terrarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
American Toad Terrarium?

I live in Wisconsin and I am wondering if anybody has experience or knowledge of raising an American Toad in a planted terrarium. I have tried to recreate their natural enviroment using some 1g aquariums I have laying around, but is that enough space for my 1/2in toad? I will post some pics of the two "mini" terrariums soon. I am a planning on spending $0 and any help is appreciated!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
blanchard's cricket frogs are pretty small, less than an inch.

Or Fowler's toad, 2-3 inches.. I caught these guys at the local river.

no experience raising them, just taking photos.

Just googled the smallest toad, it's this guy

Bufo quercicus (oak toad)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am pretty sure the toad I have is an Eastern American Toad (B. a. americanus) though it could be a BarkHousen Toad. The only reason he\she is that small if it is an E. A. Toad is because it hatched in june so it is less then 4 months old. Thanks!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
I am pretty sure the toad I have is an Eastern American Toad (B. a. americanus) though it could be a BarkHousen Toad. The only reason he\she is that small if it is an E. A. Toad is because it hatched in june so it is less then 4 months old. Thanks!
It's big enough for now, but won't be for too long. An adult should have at least 10 gallons with lots of places to hide and a very shallow water dish. For the time being you can feed him gut loaded/dusted pin head crickets, very small earthworms or wingless fruit flies.

They are curious little guys and if they feel safe enough with the enclosure you provide the will explore rather than hiding constantly.

If you walk through parts of forest at the right time of year you can see dozens of little ones (1/4 to 1/2 inch) hopping through the grass to get away.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Smile

Thanks wondabread! I have a 10g and 20g that I could use, so that works out. Here is the pics I promised!
Plants: Grass, Moss and others from my yard
Lighting: Spiral Florecent bulb
Subtrate: Garden dirt with a little sand and plant matter mixed in.
Fauna: Eastern American Toad, I think!
Waterer: Plastic container put into the subtrate.
What do you think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuff to sell, Abbeys Birthday 017.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	15891  

Name:	Stuff to sell, Abbeys Birthday 018.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	15892  

Name:	Stuff to sell, Abbeys Birthday 019.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	15893  

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Last edited by RipariumGuy; 10-27-2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Thanks and Pics
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Whoops! I forgot to add Toadstools to the plant list!

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Planted Member

It doesn't need to be bright like a planted fish tank. Remember that amphibians might need some UVA/UVB in their light for proper digestion because they are cold blooded (I've been out of the herp hobby for some time now, so I've forgotten a lot). A little bit of natural sunlight will work just fine and is free. B. americanus lives on the forest floor most times which is usually dim. The light is mainly going to be for your plants to be able to photosynthesize properly.

Looks like a great little tank, like a slice of forest. I've kept American toads many times over the years, and they are fantastic pets.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have a couple herp questions. First, can I feed the toad mealworms, or some type of vegatable? Second, will he hibranate, in my 69`F house? I really like looking at this thing and really whant it to stay alive!

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think the toad is trying to hibranate, he has dug a little hole and has gone into it, backfirst.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i used to catch that kind of frog down the shore in Wildwood NJ all the time when i was younger. he might be boroughing because i think they live underground. when i cought them it was allways at night so its noctornal. sorry for my very poor spelling. hope this helps a little.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks jreich! During the early summer\late spring their are so many, you wouldnt believe! They breed in a small ditch that fills with water at the end of my feild. Its really cool! The ditch has several types of annual plants that I will probably use in the 10g when the toad grows.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

good luck! i would love to start a froggy tank but the girlfriend would want to kill me. already have a 29 planted tank a 5.5 planted shrimp tank, and a 55 with a monster ball python in it. in a 2 bedroom apartment. theres more tanks in my apartment then actual residents.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Good luck getting your girlfreind to allow you to get another aquarium\terrarium.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
Good luck getting your girlfreind to allow you to get another aquarium\terrarium.
yea thats def not going to happen but thanks anyway!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

The toad will not hibernate at 69F.

The burrowing you are seeing is what toads do. It will come out when it's hungry or wants to watch tv or hit the treadmill or whatever...

If you want it to hibernate, you must drop the temp down to closer to freezing. I have never hibernated any of my herps, but it's not a bad idea to do it. If you do hibernate, make sure it is done in a dark cold place with good ventilation. The temp drop must be done slowly (over a week or two) and you need to look into changing feeding habits prior to hibernation. I don't remember if you stuff them to make sure they have enough fat to make it through the winter or starve them to make sure their stomachs are empty. It might be a combination of both.

It isn't really necessary to do it unless you are looking to breed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode