8.5G Bow-Front Nano Riparium Build! - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking 8.5G Bow-Front Nano Riparium Build!

I have two of these brand new National Geographic cornerless bow-front tanks I have no use for but I love them so much so I am thinking about making a riparium with one...and possibly a paludarium with the other some day so they can be a side by side comparison between a riparium and a paludarium.

Obviously since this is a riparium I will not really have any landmass above the water, I bought a new Marineland Penguin 75 HOB bio-wheel filter for this project and I would like to have some sort of waterfall feature following it. I did an experiment with the inlet tube 1" below the water surface and I got a slow flow rate, I will try extending it straight down further so there is more water pressure on it. I also bought a casted cave for this (the only casted piece I will use in it) it has an opening on the right side as well. The identical tank I already dirted, graveled, and have began to cycle it for when I am ready to build off it.

Just to get an idea I used a glass as a raised rock pool, which would be nice if I can get a proper flow rate. I may have to put the entire HOB body inside the tank to be able to have the water level where I want it at around 60% which also means I will not be able to have a pool above the waters surface.

I did an experiment with a 3/4" ID hose clamped onto the intake tube, but it was not 100% air tight because the tube is so thin so it has to be under the waters surface to even keep the line primed. It sucks the water from the opposite side of the tank which is great but again the flow rate was slow, I think it would work fine if the water level was higher or the filter body was lower.

Seems ripariumsupply.com is out of or no longer selling planters so I have sourced to eBay and they are about $15ea shipped...now I just need to find out how to make some floating rafts for the fronts.

Last edited by Teebo; 10-15-2017 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Title Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
The smallest of those racks (middle right) I get at my local grocery store for $3 each. Hope you "$15 each" means for the set of 3. Dollar stores are another place to find them cheap.
HDBenson and HDBenson like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No $15 each, I cant find ones with small holes locally but I am not finish hunting.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ouch, keep looking, even here in Canada I get them for 3-5$.

|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I checked 3 pharmacy's, Walmart and a few department stores, and 3 grocery stores. I found some! I'm glad I did not order those they would have been way too large, because I did find those too! The baskets ended up being at a grocery store and the cup was at Walmart, these were the two best I could find and they were $3 each!

The only holes in the cup are two slits at the bottom, it will work fine I think as is and the baskets look great for growing moss on the fronts.

I ended up having to lower the filter body into the tank it seems to be the only option, so I have to find something to put it on...I am thinking bricks or blocks of some sort.

Last edited by Teebo; 10-10-2017 at 06:12 AM. Reason: .
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why not get a cheap internal filter? They have small ones at large chain pet stores for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Alex
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't worry about the smaller basket's slits, I mostly use that one (only a few large plants in the longer basket) and everything grows fine in it, roots find their way out of the bottom (or the back by the suction cups).
Teebo and Teebo like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Alex View Post
Why not get a cheap internal filter? They have small ones at large chain pet stores for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Tetra Whisper 20i in-tank, that has served me well. It's fairly small, very quiet and has been reliable. It has a nice waterfall effect and might be what you're looking for.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Alex View Post
A submarine filter? Because there is poor aeration for biological growth, which is why I wanted the bio-wheel. You may be right though...not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Don't worry about the smaller basket's slits, I mostly use that one (only a few large plants in the longer basket) and everything grows fine in it, roots find their way out of the bottom (or the back by the suction cups).
Thanks!

This is the identical tank I have been cycling with a bag of used filters from the tanks at Walmart (they are very clean I give the guy some credit) this tank is already dirted under the gravel I used Miracle Grow Organic Mix. I just pulled the sack of sh!t out after a few weeks and it is fully cycled now plus I added bio-starter bacteria blend, I will be working on setting this tank up now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadpher View Post
I have a Tetra Whisper 20i in-tank, that has served me well. It's fairly small, very quiet and has been reliable. It has a nice waterfall effect and might be what you're looking for.
What size is your tank? I'm looking at the 10i since I only have about 4 gallons of water in my tank after decor displacement, etc.

Last edited by Teebo; 10-10-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: .
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am trying to decide on what to use for hanger substrate, I see many people use hydroponics clay ball pellets, but what about Aquasoil?

As far as the hangers themselves go I am a bit confused about the trellis raft, its just used to help plants float along the surface and hide the hanger container and provide appearance of depth right?? I am also confused about that piece of screen I see in the rear of everyone's cups, is that only the prevent substrate from falling out of the suction mount holes??

Last edited by Teebo; 10-10-2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: .
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Concerning planter substrate I thought about it more, and hydroponics clay will be much lighter which is important in a suction mounted planter.

I picked up a Tetra Whisper 10i with the new bio-guard its a little larger than I thought but its powerful enough to run above the water level (unsure how high) and its quiet! I tucked it behind the cave decor where the fish are less likely to reach the intake, I also put filter floss inside the base in front of the pump I was shocked to see no prefilter. I hope circulation is not affected by the decor but I can hide the filter with plants easily, and it gives me an area to hide a mini heater:

Last edited by Teebo; 10-10-2017 at 06:19 AM. Reason: .
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was able to corner the filter a little more to angle it, I have hung the planters...I do not think I am going to submerge them completely. I just want the bottom row of holes submerged so I can spill some moss over them or something and save some space in the tank for submerged plants under the planters.

This is max water level and minimum will be above the top of the next rock tip to the left, the small planter will help hide the filter and I will use a large planter on the outside of the tank on the left (back of the filter) I will use it to grow Pothos and Wandering Jew which can both be stretchered to the right between the other plants along the back and the substrate does not require submerging.

I really want to hide a mini auto 78F heater right here behind the cave decor, I know they say to put your heater opposite from your filter but I think it will be fine. I will grow Helxine soleirolii in the filter to help hide it:

I am open to suggestions on a mini heater but I think I am going to just end up using a Tetra HT10, the tank is 8.5 gallons, it is 2/3 full which is around 6 gallons minus the displacement of everything in it...we are talking about maybe 4.5-5 gallons of water.

Last edited by Teebo; 10-10-2017 at 06:22 AM. Reason: .
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've read some bad reviews on that heater brand. I'd recommend Hydro Theo adjustable heater. 50 watt for that size tank. I got one on amazon recently amusingly the 50 watt was priced cheaper than the 25watt .. whatever works for me!

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I did some research into other mini heaters, including the Marineland Stealth series which has a recall on fires and exploding tubes. I have not had any problems with Tetra heaters so far but I will checkout the Hydro; it needs to be very small and compact and typically anything adjustable is not.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is an update, I started planting! I have 4 plants so far: Peace Lily, Sensitive Fern, Dwarf Palm, and a grass I took from a pond side about 4 months ago I think it is a form of Eleocharis?

The way I rooted them was I filled the basket to the water line THEN put the plant(s) in so that only the tips are in water that way they can adjust to having submerged roots with hopefully minimal shock wilting. I am curious how the clay balls will affect the water chemistry I did rinse them first but do they get smaller over time? Will they leech into the water and harm my fish or add clay to the water column? I have Osmocote Plus in the substrate of the tank under the gravel but I can not really use it in the planters...would you use Seachem Flourish to keep the planters healthy since they rely 100% on the water column? I am already planning on using Excel for Carbon substitute.

I ended up using a Tetra heater only because it was in my Betta tank (and I put that fish in this riparium) it is model HT10 but it seems to be running a lot and only maintains 76F so I need to bump the wattage up soon. It fits perfectly almost out of sight, and I plan on planting Baby Tears in the filter which should spill over and hide the wires/heater:

I will be growing some form of moss out of the front holes of the long baskets but this taller narrow one with the Peace lily has no frontal holes, I want to plant something else out of the top that will spill over the front and help hide the planter...something similar to Baby Tears. I ended up choosing the same long basket for my outer planter but it needs to be sealed up a bit for use with soil, I am using it for Pothos and Wandering Jew which will follow each other over the rear of the tank and I may plant a third plant in it at some point as well.

Last edited by Teebo; 10-10-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode