Aquarium plant box, what do you think? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Aquarium plant box, what do you think?

Hi..

After following this amazing forum for a while, I am becoming more and more amazed at what one can do with plants and a tank with half water.

I first came accross Hydrophytest Blog (http://hydrophytesblog.com/), which is to date one of the best bastions for planted tanks. His photos are well taken and his product is well thought out. A work of art one may say.

I have been trying to find in the UK a product similar to his hanging planter, found only shower cadies that would do the same job, but I am battling with the suction cups. They do stay on, but I am always worried that they will let the planter drop.

What if instead of suction cups, one would use legs? Like a window sill planter, but on a tank?

I have draw a very crude sketch on google sketch, which I have attached to this message to give you an idea of what I am thinking about.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plant box with legs.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	15824  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi Ghostsword

I was not able to see the hanging planter you referred to. Would you post a link to it? I don't understand what you want to do with the drawing you made.

Edit: I just saw your earlier thread and understand what you are trying to do now. The way you have the legs on your drawing makes me think you are planning to have them setting on the bottom of the tank, because the opening is opposite the legs. Correct? If so, how are you going to disguise/hide them from view?

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:

Last edited by jerrytheplater; 10-22-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Saw the other thread
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi..

The planter drawing is on its side, to show the slats and the legs.

It would look something like this:
http://realpanther.com/wp-content/up...10/planter.jpg

But in clear plastic and 20cm long, 10cm tall and 10cm wide. It will have legs that are 10cm to 15cm tall.

Makes sense?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I understand what you are planning now. Sounds good to me. If you drape plants over the edges, you should be able to hide it pretty well. You might even consider attaching some stones or bark to the planter to hide it even further. Just a thought. You could even have some plants growing through the slats into the planter. Lots of potential there.

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I was thinking about either use moss on the side, or bark. Also If the spray bar of a filter is on the top, then one would be able to use stem plants to hide the box, this would allow fish to seek protection under the box and maybe even use the plant media as more filtration.

I have a small tank I can use this on, so will try with a prototype and post photos. The hard part is to get a box with legs. Will have to improvise, either with a flat log with legs made of acrylic rods, and the box secured on top.

Tags
legs, planter, windowsill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode