Shoreline-type vivarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Shoreline-type vivarium?

Okay, technically a shoreline setup would be a riparium, but since around here we refer to ripariums as being riverbank setups, I didn't want any confusion.

Basically, I'm scouring the interweb looking for some kind of a shoreline-style vivarium setup. In my imagination, I can see a beach or lagoon type of setup with some crabs, and some kind of a contraption that will allow me to recreate the look of water coming up onto the sand and rocks, then washing away and back into some hidden reservoir. Essentially, creating the appearance of waves rolling up and then back into the ocean.

Has anyone seen a setup like this before, and if so, can you point me to it. I know this is probably a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
This would work best in a tank with a large footprint, such as a 40 breeder or a short cube.

You can create real nice concentric ripples in a tank but plumbing a standpipe for the return right through the floor of the tank and pointing the flow straight up toward the surface of the water.

It is helpful to sketch up a few options while figuring out this kind of thing.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ Thanks for the reply Hydrophyte. I'm actually busy working away in Google Sketchup right now trying to get some kind of visual aid!

I see what you mean by needing a larger footprint, for the method you just described. I'm actually going to see if the idea I have in my head could work on a 20-Long. I have an idea, and I think it's a good one, but I never know until I implement it.

The way I'm visualizing it, it can be done in a smaller tank, but theory vs. actuality is another subject altogether.

I'll be back with a visual aid, hopefully!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
20 long...this is what I'm seeing:

Build up the land mass on one side of the tank. Kinda like a cross section when viewing it from the front. Use powerheads on a wavemaker controller to create a wave effect or you can use an actual wave box (see here).

-Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's similar to the idea I have, but I didn't think of using a wavemaker. I'm just thinking of using a regular old timer and some powerheads... but that's a good idea worth considering. Thanks!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You know what I ahve thought would be a really cool tank would be a setup emulating the streamside habitats that many crypts use. I have never been to any of those places in nature, but I have seen many pictures of crypts growing like a turf in the bottom of a small forest stream and extending up above the water on the same sandbar. With a dry start lasting several months the crypt plants could develop extensive root systems which would then hold onto the sloped substrate and prevent it from settling when the tank is partially-filled with water.

There are many pictures of situations like that on illumbomb's blog.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
I have been bouncing around an idea like this in my head for a while. Down here in south Florida we have turtle grass flats and mangrove habitats that i frequent often. So i thought of trying to build one in an aquarium and it would be easy for me to collect the plants and most of the critters myself. I am pretty new to aquariums so i figured id try and get some time under my belt before trying something more complicated like this.

A quick paint job of my idea would be like this:

I never planned a wave making action but i did want to have a sump on a timer that would lower and raise 1/5-1/3 of the water to emulate tides.

The plants would be Turtle grass or Manatee grass and Red Mangroves. For fauna i would probably stick to some small crabs, maybe some horse shoe crabs and a few small fish.
Attached Images

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ It probably doesn't need to be mentioned, but I hope you don't plan on taking mangroves from the wild! Even if you are ecologically-minded, and know what you're doing, I can't really condone that. Plus, keep in mind, it's highly illegal, and our local authorities are on the lookout for that specific act.

So be careful.

That being said, I like your tank idea! Hydrophyte, yours too!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I thought that it was legal to collect mangrove propagules, but not trees or seedlings, in unprotected places in Florida(?).
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, yeah, but I assumed he or she would want seedlings or trees, because how can you really scape with the propagules? That would require a LOT of patience!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I sure would like to get some white mangrove propagules.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
...some kind of a contraption that will allow me to recreate the look of water coming up onto the sand and rocks, then washing away and back into some hidden reservoir. Essentially, creating the appearance of waves rolling up and then back into the ocean.
You know where I have seen something like this is with various kinds of wavemaking devices for reef tanks. I remember seeing one that used a toilet tank hardware to fill and then suddenly empty a reservoir plumbed upstream of the tank. It seems like there was a commercial product like that a few years ago too.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting. I'll have to start searching for something like this. In the meantime, I'm still trying to work with SketchUp to get my visual aid, but I suck at this 3D stuff.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
I know the laws and fines associated with disturbing mangroves. I have worked on several mangrove habitat restoration projects in my day, and would of course source my mangroves from a legal source. I do appreciate the concern and advice though.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They are slow, but you can get little treelets from the propagules with some patience. I started these black mangrove (Avicennia germinans) from propagules about a year ago.

They are about 12" tall. I probably could have grown them up taller with brighter light and more consistent fertilization. They are neat little plants. They aren't really big enough to use in a display yet, but I am pondering a brackish riparium and hope to use them someday.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode