Cement/Peat Moss Dish Garden - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cement/Peat Moss Dish Garden

I bought this dish garden in the spring at the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society show. It was made and sold by John Spain. It contains Sedums and Sempervivums. Both are flowering now. I am not really up on my identification of these plants and I may even be incorrect as to the ID of the plants with the large flower spike. I would appreciate any correction. These photos were taken last week.

If anyone wants to look into making troughs out of concrete and peat moss, you can overwinter some cacti and definitely the Sempervivums outdoors in them. Here are two links with directions on how to make them: http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Garden/trough.htm http://www.thealpinegarden.com/newtroughgarden.htm

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That's delightful. So I suppose that those are all hardy plants in that one?

I have it in my head to make a few very small hypertufa troughs. I made some cement aquarium features a while back and it was fun.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, they are all winter hardy. I am going to leave it outdoors on my deck and see what happens. It only cost me $10.00, so it is good to experiment with.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Lnb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Been away from succulents for a long time. I think the pinkish/blue ones are called "Hens and chicks" don't know the "real" name for them.

Yes, I've seen them overwinter down by the NJ shore.

Very nice .....btw.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Beautiful pics - what a lovely display!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Just... GORGEOUS!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I can't believe you got that for ten bucks--what a good deal.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys. This planter is still outdoors, but we've only had one frost so far. I do plan to let it go the entire winter unprotected. I'll see if it cracks when it freezes. I'll let you know.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are a few shots I took of the dish garden today. You can really see how the Sedum has died down after blooming and the frosts. There is some growth in the center of each plant though. I'll see what happens in the spring. The Sempervivums have turned reddish and look "winterized". I am going to leave this outdoors over winter. I plan on placing it against the foundation of our house out of the wind in an eastern exposure.:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That's definitely beautiful. I want one

-Chris

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Time for a photo update. I shot a photo of this dish garden tonight while it is snowing. It was frozen to the ground and I had to hit it to knock it free. It isn't cracked anywhere as far as I con see.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can see growth on the plants in the dish garden now. It did not crack at all even though it was outdoors unprotected from snow and freezes.

I bought this dish garden at a cactus show in Connecticut last year. John Spain made it. The show will be held again in April on the 10th. Here is the announcement for those in the CT, NJ, NY area: http://www.ctcactusclub.com/ShowSale...howandsale.htm

Photo 1 is before cleaning it up from the winter. Photo 2 is after cleaning off the dead parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-14-10 Dish Garden before cleaning 1 244 kb.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	19495  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-14-10 Dish Garden after cleaning 2 244 kb.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	19496  

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's cool.

There is a whole world of people who make and collect stuff like that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode