Suggestions for terrarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Suggestions for terrarium

Hey folks! I have a goodly amount of terrestrial ornamental aroids(pothos, philos, Anthurium, Aglaos etc) they currently reside on my deck. Well, the weather is starting to cool off and I'm putting them in a 55g I have laying around for a permanent home. I need suggestions for orchids, creeping plants, ferns, tropical carnivorous plants etc for the "accents". I'm already planning on some Wandering Jew, hemigraphis sp and a few others.

I'm also looking for a soil with a good/high peat ratio. I've never done a terrarium so ANY suggestions are appreciated!!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Selaginella (club moss)! They like being in a humid environment.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Forget peat, use ground coconut shell mixed into the soil!
And try Jewel Orchids!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use coconut coir for substrate. Buy it by the brick and rehydrate.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 AM
Planted Member

For tropical terrariums I've used ABG Atlanta Botanical Gardens Mix.

What are the planned inhabitants or will it be plants only?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The plan is plant only.. I may eventually opt for a chameleon or, a nice Anole sp. I've been wondering if for all practical purposes shredded coconut could work in place of peat. I guess so!! I'll look and see if the ABG mix is available. I'm trying to do this on the cheap. I have everything already except the coco coir, I have plenty of putting soil laying around from my plants! Thanks for all the help so far! Daisy, I have looked at the club mosses before and will likely be getting some! Acro, can you give me a genus for the Jewel Orchids?

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Planted Member

Golden lloydiella is a nice bright yellowish green creeping plant. I think it contrasts nicely with other plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Planted Member

One of the plants that I had in my poison dart frog vivarium was columnea carnival. It was pretty easy to care for and flowered every now and then.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks JG! I've seen those before and love them! Toadpher, I have plenty of creeping jenny on hand so I'll add that to the list!! Acro, FINALLY got some results on the orchids.. I'm changing my question to which do you like and which did you keep with success?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Planted Member

I have a thing for small small orchids. I kept pleurothallis mathildae in the same tank with the darts.

they look like this:

http://www.orchidspecies.com/orphotd...rmathildae.jpg

I found them super easy
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I recommend the ABG mix also if you can. Joshsfrogs.com sells it and has fast delivery.

I'm a big fan of my Rabbit's foot fern. check that out. it's spreading and growing real fast in my tank.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Planted Member

I dunno how well this would work in your tank, but I got a Raspberry swirl Joseph's coat for my paludarium and I think it's beautiful. If you are looking for a stiff bushy plant, this is one to consider. Almost indestructible and changes colors from green to pink to reddish pink to white. I like it cause you basically can't kill it lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay, so after some reading I see I'm looking at needing 16 quarts of the stuff... with shipping that's over $120.. so, are there any suggestions for DIY? I've seen several recipes for it - so suggestions on where to buy or alternatives to certain ingredients?

1pt Charcoal(Lowe's)
1pt Peat?
1pt Shphagnum moss?
2pt Tree fern fiber(possibly substituted for coco Cori?)
2pt Orchid bark(lowes)

And in all the ingredients.. where is the soil/sand/dirt etc? Or, do these ingredients break down enough - quickly enough to do the "job"? Could I put down topsoil as a base then cover with an inch or two of this? I'm actually confused as to why ABG is "good"/recommended... my current plants and a few others I plan on getting have lived for years in plain soil with once yearly fertilizing...

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
Okay, so after some reading I see I'm looking at needing 16 quarts of the stuff... with shipping that's over $120.. so, are there any suggestions for DIY? I've seen several recipes for it - so suggestions on where to buy or alternatives to certain ingredients?

1pt Charcoal(Lowe's)
1pt Peat?
1pt Shphagnum moss?
2pt Tree fern fiber(possibly substituted for coco Cori?)
2pt Orchid bark(lowes)

And in all the ingredients.. where is the soil/sand/dirt etc? Or, do these ingredients break down enough - quickly enough to do the "job"? Could I put down topsoil as a base then cover with an inch or two of this? I'm actually confused as to why ABG is "good"/recommended... my current plants and a few others I plan on getting have lived for years in plain soil with once yearly fertilizing...
You can use the ABG mix without any need for "soil/sand/dirt"

Do you have a drainage layer planned? Otherwise your substrate will get soggy and overtime it will be detrimental to a lot of plants.

Also you would need about 16 quartz as suggested on Josh's frogs website. That would run you about 50 bucks including 2 day delivery. Each bag equals 4 quartz/1 gallon so you'd only need 4
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was planning on laying down sand or gravel as the drainage level. Planned on having a piece of pvc hidden in one or two places to water from the bottom. And then mist the top for humidity. I'm really not trying to have anything that is going to need super high humidity though, just stuff that needs misting on a daily basis at most. All my plants I have for it do well with -50% humidity outside. I plan it to be slightly higher than 50% MAYBE up to 60-70%

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode