Is there really a Terrarium part of the forum? (I hope so :) ) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
bny

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Is there really a Terrarium part of the forum? (I hope so :) )

Hi,

Is it true there's a terrarium forum over here?

I had to get out of fishkeeping about 18 months ago due to my health (although I still keep up to date on research, writing and friends <3 )

Just the other day, though, I found a beautiful Sellaginella emmeliana that needs to be rehabilitated and brought it home. Having 3 aquariums on hand that I haven't sold yet (two 20 L, 1 standard 55), I was thinking of repurposing at least one of the 20 L's as a terrarium since it has a glass canopy and light anyway.

The Sellaginella's really outgrown the pot it was sold in and a lot of roots are seeking a more complete substrate for which I'd like to go hydroponic in order to avoid fungus gnats. Might anyone here at The Planted Tank have info on hydroponic substrates and set-ups, nutrients, feeding and when to restore substrates?

I've been looking around and it looks like this plant can be grown on everything from rocks and lava rocks to charcoal and other hydroponic substrates. I might include some driftwood for vertical interest. In many ways, Takashi Amano is still very much an influence in terms of composition and thinking beyond boundaries for what might be possible (for fishkeepers, he's been our Frank Lloyd Wright.)

Ideally, I'd like a terrarium (maybe 2) that are composed of the Sellaginella, ferns (likely dwarf varieties and it would be *wonderful* to plant a fishtail fern given that I'm transitioning from fishkeeping to plantkeeping), also epiphytes such as orchids and other "air" plants.

It would be nice to be able to incorporate some sort of water feature--either a misting system or some sort of miniature fountain to wend through the plantscape and give the scene a feeling of animation/motion.

I'm a long-time fan of The Planted Tank and the innovation of it's members so I'm really hoping it's true that you have a terrarium portion of the forum.

Thanks so much!

bny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well clearly, since you found it, it exists

I think there are so many routes to go, you're limited only by you imagination and ingenuity. A warning... fishtail palms get ENORMOUS. Like full on trees. I have one for sale where I work that is at least 12 ft tall. Anyways I'd recommend just browsing other's builds to some get ideas. Again, not really a whole lot of "right" or "wrong" ways to do anything as long as you can keep your plants happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
bny

Hi CannaBrain,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
fishtail palms get ENORMOUS. Like full on trees. I have one for sale where I work that is at least 12 ft tall.
Ah, it's nice to dream, though...anybody know a modern-day Mendel to create a dwarf form? Then again, ferns once ruled the earth, nothing so titanic in geologic time can be made small.

Being new to terrariums (sounds crazy--I've kept planted tanks and plants) I definitely want to go soil-less. I've read where people have used everything from lava rocks to charcoal to blasting sand. I'm wondering if something like Eco-complete might work as well?

Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Why not use ABG? Also, there are a variety of small ferns that you could use. Check out the rabbits foot ferns, korean rock fern etc. They all stay relatively small. Definitely look around and see what other people have done! Don't reinvent the wheel! I wouldn't use eco since it's small and will fall through the false bottom. Also check out dendroboard.com, lot's of good vivarium info there! But in the beginning I'd suggest you read a lot and research and see what's out there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode