Planted HOB filter(flowering pennywort) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted HOB filter(flowering pennywort)

Here's a pic of the HOB filter. Brazilian pennywort has gone crazy and is flowering.

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	511825  

Views:	142
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	511833  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice. I need to find some of that plant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Gratz! I've not had pennywort flower.. it grew like a [censor] weed in my emersed bins but no blooms.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
My H. tripartita "Japan" bloom like crazy in my dry starts. But, for the life of me - heaven forbid other pennyworts bloom for me, lol!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
That's gorgeous. I've been researching what to plant in my filter and this just might be it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:05 AM
Planted Member

I see you have a pothos plant in your HOB as well. Looks nice.

Does the filter sometimes clog up with the roots?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome setup! How deep of a root system does the pennywort develop? I think that it would make a better alternative to using houseplants in HOB's, being a true bog plant that may not clog up the filter.

My pennywort has only flowered after I exposed it to natural sunlight. Perhaps a broader wavelength spectrum (vs most artificial lighting) plays a role?

Edit: g4search I guess we more or less have the same question...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have not even pulled out the media basket in over 4 months. Only drop the motor to clean, and clean intake pipe. I use a fluval prefilter sponge, it catches everything.
Bio media still looks very clean through sides of the filter, lots of roots to.

Combination of low bio load(3 kuhlis, snails,shrimp), lots of plants(in tank and on filter),2-25%water changes a week must be why. But I think I the pennywort has gotten to big and is totally sapping the water colum. Once it gets going emersed, it is very aggressive.

Now my soil seems to be depleted of potassium,(way underestimated how much I needed) so I've been dosing. And plants are slowly showing iron deficiencies, even though I added 20oz of laterite to the dirt. I did not know the importance of CEC when I started this tank, and should have used some clay in my dirt. I don't think the soil mix has sufficient CEC to recharge itself, and was lacking to begin with.
I'm going to be breaking the tank down soon and moving all the plants and livestock to other tanks.
I already made a mineralized topsoil(focussing on CEC), using worm castings,and many amendments. I have also grown out several aquarium plants in my pond. I will be dirting a rimless 60 gallon(48"L, 16"W, 18"H). Just Working on the stand, and looking for an LED light.
I'll be sure to take lots of pictures of the root mass in the filter when I tear the tank down. And the filter has only recently been "clogging up" with roots, but nothing near the motor(somehow). Just so many roots no water can flow by lol. Nothing serious, just reduced flow
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBA View Post

My pennywort has only flowered after I exposed it to natural sunlight. Perhaps a broader wavelength spectrum (vs most artificial lighting) plays a role?

Edit: g4search I guess we more or less have the same question...

I recall having read a post on a thread on the forum in which the person who replied stated that the blue spectrum is used by plants in flowering and pigment production.
Since I have no HOB I can't try it, but someone might see if a bulb listed
as having blue in it will cause flowering to happen.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I recall having read a post on a thread on the forum in which the person who replied stated that the blue spectrum is used by plants in flowering and pigment production.
Since I have no HOB I can't try it, but someone might see if a bulb listed
as having blue in it will cause flowering to happen.
Filter is under a 26w 6500k cfl, and a marineland led strip with blue and 6400k LEDs(?watt), so it gets a lot of blue, also some ambient light from a window.

I've always thought plants need more red spectrum in flowering, and more blue will create tighter node spacing. But that's terrestrial plants like vegetables. I'm really much more experienced with gardening

Should also mention it only flowers after switching lighting schedule to include a mid day dark period( 4on, 3 off, 5 on) only 9hrs of light a day( other than ambient light from window
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pennywort

That's cool. My tank is full of it but no flowers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150803_152912.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	514265  

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still haven't touched it, maybe this weekend
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	96
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	518889  

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
"Filter?? What filter?"

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So pennywort is a real winner for the HOB filter. I have seen several varieties of it grown in HOB filters and it always does amazingly well. The roots don't seem to get into the motor, but they will grow into channels and pathways and block them up( like the overflow beside the intake tube on an Aquaclear HOB). But if you have success, and let it grow large enough, the root mass will eventually become thick enough to start blocking the flow of water through the HOB.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	86
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	522673  

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Heart shaped leaves in the first picture could also be Philodendron cordatum. It has several names as botanists reorganize the plant kingdom.
Works really well in such a set up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode