Mushrooms growing on DW - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Mushrooms growing on DW

Bad, good, or harmless? Mushrooms started growing on DW in our Paludarium?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440462101505.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	510465

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 08-25-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is so cool.
See if you can id them, they might be edible LOL.

|
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Nice I've never had those before. Look cool. I had these giants in my dart frog tank. Didn't know what type they were and the first exploded kinda and turned my tank gold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440466155351.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	510481

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Nice I've never had those before. Look cool. I had these giants in my dart frog tank. Didn't know what type they were and the first exploded kinda and turned my tank gold.

Attachment 510481

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
If only it had been "into" gold lol

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Unfortunately, mushrooms can potentially speed up your driftwood's decomposition. As well, their spores can make some people react adversely ie allergies/asthmatic exacerbation.

I would recommend removing the caps as soon as you see them in order to maximize the life of your wood. It may not totally go away, since it's the damp, moist conditions that promote its growth. The mycelia is also now established in your driftwood and will keep multiplying and possibly attempt to keep fruiting (ie make caps).

Or, you can leave it alone and see what happens. Part of the fun in growing things.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-25-2015 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Typo
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Unfortunately, mushrooms can potentially speed up your driftwood's decomposition. As well, their spores can make some people react adversely ie allergies/asthmatic exacerbation.

I would recommend removing the caps as soon as you see them in order to maximize the life of your wood. It may not totally go away, since it's the damp, moist conditions that promote its growth. The mycelia is also now established in your driftwood and will keep multiplying and possibly attempt to keep fruiting (ie make caps).

Or, you can leave it alone and see what happens. Part of the fun in growing things.
Thanks to everyone for responding... But Daisy Mae, great input here! Yeah, I've noticed that it is almost growing new caps daily now, multiple ones at that. When it first started, it was a single mushroom, then a few more, then lots more... While I sort of like them, the thought of spores and what ever else mushrooms spread in the air, kinda worries me. Should I use some sort of anti-fungal treatment? Is there something safe for the plants and my beta swimming below? I tried H20 treatment, but it has no effect.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think an anti fungal treatment will be effective as the mycelia will be deep within the wood. The problem is the damp, shady, moist conditions that are oh so necessary for the paludarium environment. The spores are also all over the system now.

You can try drying the system out slightly (or thin out some areas to provide better air circulation where the caps seem to be more prevalent) but some plants may sulk with drier conditions, so, personally, I would just remove the caps as you see them, definitely before they mature and spread spores.

At some point, the mycelia will get exhausted trying to propagate and slow right down as their substrate ie the wood is exhausted of required nutrients. You may still get caps now and again, but it should be controllable.

Daisy Mae V

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-25-2015 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Added info
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you.. I'll try removing as I see them.

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think it's cool. More natural. But, add Daisy Mae touched upon - fungi can be nasty if it's the wrong species!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any way to determine the species based on the photos?

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry, not a clue here, I only know oyster mushrooms coz I grow them.

Daisy Mae V
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 AM
Planted Member

It's cool it's like "nature." I have muschooms growing inside my paludarium. Edible> no idea. I am assuming tthey are not. Interesting idea for an experiment go to the market and get some expensive mushrooms with spores and try to grow them in your plaudarium area.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

He he, I have successfully used store-bought mushroom stem butts to grow edibles. Works with oysters.
If you have coir or peat in your paludarium substrate it might work. I use coffee grounds, paper, and coir.
Sorry OP, gone off topic a little.

Daisy Mae V
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyke View Post
It's cool it's like "nature." I have muschooms growing inside my paludarium. Edible> no idea. I am assuming tthey are not. Interesting idea for an experiment go to the market and get some expensive mushrooms with spores and try to grow them in your plaudarium area.
If you had oak in your palladurium you might have a reasonable chance at getting portabellas to grow from spores. You'd have a better chance if you got ahold of a sample of the actual mycelium (from a DIY portabella kit, for instance) and implanted that in the wood itself, but the spores might do the job.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anybody wants to start a mushroom thread? Lol

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode