Connordude27's 10g Carniverous Plant Terrerium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
Arrow Connordude27's 10g Carniverous Plant Terrerium

okay so i got inspired to do this by seeing legos tank and a mueseums tank so here it is

PLANTS- purple pitcher, venus flytrap
LIGHTS- 23watt (equal to 100w) spiral flouresent 6500k

materials used- long fibered spahgum moss, sand, rocks, driftwood, plants, 10g, aquarium gravel, light,lightbulb

total cost = $19.93 (thats because i had most of the stuff)

THE TERRERIUM (had to wipe the condensation of the side to take a pic)

venus flytrap

purple pitcher

the niffty containers they came in

comments suggestions and plants are all welcome lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Nice work!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks i was going to try a river where the rocks are but decided i'll wait till i actually have money lol

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Sweet! My only concern is that you may not be able to keep the substrate wet enough for the plants. A lot of these, certain sundews and pitchers especially, like to be almost flooded up to the top of the roots.

If your S. purpurea likes where it's at, this is what you have to look forward to

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Are you finding these plants locally? I loved carniverous plants when I was a kid but never managed to keep any of them alive for more than a couple of weeks.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow that grown plant looks amazing!!!
i think i am keeping it wet enough the soil is soaked (really really water logged like part of the tank was filled) i used half a gallon of my drinking water (no minerals added) just last night

Digsy- i found these at lowes but i've always been able to find them there or at a local greenhouse...

lego- should i add water till the rock well thing is filled? or just add lots and lots and get a ton of condensation... at the moment i'm using syran wrap as the cover but plan to get glass.... i also plan to get a temp/humidity gauge for the inside... this seem like a good idea?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Aroid Addict

Since it's a 10g, I'd try to have at least one inch of standing water from the bottom of the tank (so you can see the water line above the black rim). If you've ever grown aquatic plants emersed, you can basically treat the carnivores like that, minus the nutrients. You'd be surprised at how close these things come to being aquatic

I'd be very careful using drinking water. Even if it has no minerals added, there still could be trace minerals left over. I'd definitely stick with R/O or distilled for these guys. That way you know that there are absolutely no nutrients whatsoever.

A humidity gauge would be a really good idea. You want to keep it above 65% at all times, the higher the better. You don't really need the temp gauge as long as it doesn't get too hot or cold in your house.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok i think i'm going to buy distilled and hope it's not too late. i just made it so theres and inch of standing water so the base of the plant is very very close to the water....

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Aroid Addict

You can probably get R/O water at your nearest supermarket for about 25 cents a gallon. Drinking water would probably be fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry I guess.

---

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this could be bad the water had 24mg of sodium per 8 ounces..... do you know the salt tolerance or if i need to do something about it quick?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Aroid Addict

You're not gonna like the answer

Carnivores can tolerate minerals at their roots for a while, but it will end up killing them within a couple months at the most. You don't have to go and drain the thing right this second, but I'd definitely remove as much water as you can sometime soon.

---

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok so basically put in new moss? cause if i have to do that i got plenty lol

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Aroid Addict

If you flush the spaghnum out with RO water, you won't have to replace it, but it might just be easier to put in new . You don't want any water touching the carnivores' roots unless it's DI/RO. They're that sensitive to minerals.

---

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok readded moss and reapplied sand so i'm set now

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Aroid Addict

Hey Connor, anything new here?

---

Tags
10g, carniverous, plant, terrarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode