2.5 gallon vivarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 gallon vivarium

So one of my 2.5 gallon tanks busted a leak. The tank is 12" X 6" X 8", but at the 5-6 inch mark, it start leaking (this is even with replacement silicon sealing...). So I want to make a vivarium out of it. I've got potting soil from my foray into emersed growth, calcium carbonate sand from my saltwater tank, coconut coir from trying to culture earthworms, and black sand from a tank tear down. I may also have a few worms here or there. I definitely want my last Anubias nana var. petite plant in there, a few stalks from my Hygrophila polysperma, possibly my banana lily plant, and hopefully one of my mom's orchids. I may also decide to plant some of my leftover plants when they get too big and need to be pruned. So...
1)How do I mix the soil? I know that I need nutrients (the potting soil), something to buffer the soil (coconut coir and calcium carbonate sand), and potentially something to cover the soil (black sand). I plan on adding earthworms to the vivarium to keep the soil nice, and a neutral to acidic environment is probably best based from my aquaria. Is there a good ratio to look for?
2) Have I chosen a good assortment of plants? Is there anything that I'm missing?
3) Are there any beneficial organisms I can add to the vivarium? Preferably something that I can harvest to feed to my fish?

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i'd nix the calcium carbonate sand... and probably the worms. In a 2.5, you're going to be really really hard-pressed for space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 02:08 AM
Algae Grower

You could put some springtails and isopods (rolly-pollies) in there as a clean-up crew.

If at first you don't succeed, keep kicking it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode