First riparium! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
First riparium!

Hi folks! Just posting a list of plants I'm going to "try" for riparium plants. Please offer any pros/cons/advice/experience on level of sub/emersion, nutrients you noticed some needed, light intensity etc. I have all of these around the house except where noted:

Liriope sp
Dracaena sanderiana
Aglaonema sp
Pothos sp
Caladium sp
Croton sp
Anthurium sp(@ Lowe's)
Maranta leuconeura

Thanks for your help and expertise!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

Last edited by HDBenson; 08-17-2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can only speak for:
Dracaena sanderiana (*)
Pothos sp (*, **)
Croton sp (**)
Anthurium sp(@ Lowe's) (*)
Maranta leuconeura (*)

(*) under a 10 watts LED flood light.
(**) by window, west side.

Overall, all are easy to care for.

I moved around my 2 Dracaena from 2 different tanks and they don't complain. For me, they are not fast growers. But I bought them they were pretty much just a straight stick, no branch...

Pothos is the Egeria densa of the paludarium. Well, it doesn't grow as fast, but once it has good roots, it's pretty good growth rate. I have it in shower caddies, or directly in the tank, in HOB, in my river, etc.

My Croton pops up a new leaf at regular interval. Because it's by a window, it tends to bend a lot toward the light.

Anthurium. No flowering. According to AquaAurora, it likes iron. I just moved it today and divided it in 3. So I guess it's somewhat growing anyway.

Maranta is no problem. I often see the leave dangling in water and it doesn't seem to bother the plant. It did not have flowers in a while. I tried to grow a brach without root, no-go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Dieffenbachia anyone?

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So got my current plants in.. Will post pictures later.

Aglaonema sp "Red"
Anthurium andraeanum
Dracaena sanderiana - Luck bamboo
Epipremnum auerum "Variegated" - Variegated Pothos
Liriope muscari - Liriope
Saraurus cernuus - Lizard's tail
Syngonium podophyllum var "Pink Illusions"

Last edited by HDBenson; 08-17-2015 at 02:27 AM. Reason: added Syngonium sp variety name
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have Saraurus cernuus in my pond I added this summer. I might bring some in this fall.
When are we going to see pictures?

|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

(Temporarily)Finished product!

Full set-up:

Tank:

Top:

Thank you Aqua Aurora and Mariostg for your help!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Happy to help and lovely setup! Look forward to updates on how the plants do/any new plants you try ^^

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Happy to help and lovely setup! Look forward to updates on how the plants do/any new plants you try ^^
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it as well! I actually need to make room for MORE, lol! I still want to add some croton and try that Caladium... and MORE liriope!! Also, there are some nice white Syngonium podophyllum at Wal-Mart for $4 I'd like to get my hands on(in the even Caladiums don't work out)... mwa-ha-haaa(sinisterly wringing hands).. My wife gives this two thumbs up!! That's a rare occasion, lol.

Side-note:

I have a bromeliad I've been growing out for a few months(it's got two shoots coming out of it!!). Anyone have ideas how I could incorporate this? I don't think submerged roots will do the trick, lol!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it as well! I actually need to make room for MORE, lol! I still want to add some croton and try that Caladium... and MORE liriope!! Also, there are some nice white Syngonium podophyllum at Wal-Mart for $4 I'd like to get my hands on(in the even Caladiums don't work out)... mwa-ha-haaa(sinisterly wringing hands).. My wife gives this two thumbs up!! That's a rare occasion, lol.

Side-note:

I have a bromeliad I've been growing out for a few months(it's got two shoots coming out of it!!). Anyone have ideas how I could incorporate this? I don't think submerged roots will do the trick, lol!
I think bromeliads like airy roots or well drained soil? I know they get used a lot in vivariums..can't recall if those can be epiphytic? If so maybe loosely wrap it in a moss and let the moss just touch the water? It will wick up moisture but let the roots still have air. Using planting wire to make a support/holder for it... Not entirely sure if it would work though.. hopefully someone with bromeliads in a viv can chime in.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looking awesome . Like the blackwater tank too BTW. Looks pretty wild in there lol.

What did you use for planters? Venerable shower caddies?

|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Mariostg; 08-17-2015 at 11:43 PM. Reason: stupid typo
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
What did you use for planters? Venerble shower caddies?
Thanks Aqua Aurora. Thanks Mariostg! The dracaena is so long it just sits touching the bottom. The Aglaonema and, pothos are just in there. Everything else is in caddies except the stuff in the HOB.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added three more varieties:

Syngonium podophyllum "Holly"
Dracaena godseffiana "Florida Beauty"
Philodendron scandens "Green"

Tags
nutrients, riparium, species, submersion level

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode