Discus biotope with riparian addition - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Discus biotope with riparian addition

Hey all,
Just thought I'd share my little project. I had a discus biotope tank running for a while with no plants. I then decided I'd like the benefits of plants without diminishing the authentic feel of the tank so I came up with this idea to support emergent plant growth. I didn't want to just have planter cups sitting on the back walks of my tank so I tried to sort of hide them with this undercut shoreline look. It's not a very big tank but the lighting effect created by the platform adds a bit of visual depth making the tank seem bigger than it is.

I simply used a piece of acrylic as the playform cut to fit the rim of my 54 gallon corner and drilled holes in it to hold plastic cups that I used as planters. Made somewhat of a rain system with PVC pipe with an attached Powerhead sitting in my corner overflow. Covered the platform with sphagnum and sheet moss.

The plants seem to be doing really well. Getting some cool submergent root growth as well. Not using CO2 or any ferts.

Plants:
pothos vine
Brazilian sword
Bella Palm
Brazilian pennywort

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	504537

Here's a view of the submergent and root growth:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	504545

This is a video of the tank from a few months ago. Not much submergent growth then:

http://youtu.be/eX5ycx_Dhq4

Here's a video of me giving a bit more of a detailed description of the planted addition:

http://youtu.be/O3do3WeM52g

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Last edited by mattjm1121; 08-08-2015 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Deleting bumps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Very lovely set up! What is your room humidity and temperature? How long has it been setup? Whats your light? My pennywort withers above water (when it creeps through the hood) from the dry air here.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
bk.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
That is awesome! When my wife and I end up moving into a new house (several years out) I'm more than likely upgrading my 55 to a 120. I've been thinking long and hard about a black water biotope. And yours is a great example!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

WOW that's the best looking tank I've ever seen! I watched your videos and I've got to say you've got a nice peace of nature there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
looks awesome! i Have always loved the look of wild discus!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh man now we are talking :-) I only watched the second video for now. I guess a corner aquarium is the best for this kind of setup.

Do you keep the raining device on all the time?
do you have a high evaporation rate?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Very lovely set up! What is your room humidity and temperature? How long has it been setup? Whats your light? My pennywort withers above water (when it creeps through the hood) from the dry air here.
Thanks! I actually don't monitor my room humidity so I have no clue lol. The planted part has been set up since maybe the end of April or so. Lighting is an old coralife compact fluorescent (2x 65w 6500k) metal halide (150w 10000k) combo. I'm definitely not doing anything special with the pennywort. It is pretty well rooted in the sphagum moss which is constantly moist so I assume that's gotta help.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk. View Post
That is awesome! When my wife and I end up moving into a new house (several years out) I'm more than likely upgrading my 55 to a 120. I've been thinking long and hard about a black water biotope. And yours is a great example!
Thanks a lot! Go 120! Lol. Blackwater themed tanks are my favorite especially with the wild discus. Another plus is that the darker tank allows you to better hide your equipment make it feel even more authentic.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smells Fishy View Post
WOW that's the best looking tank I've ever seen! I watched your videos and I've got to say you've got a nice peace of nature there.
Glad you enjoyed!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
looks awesome! i Have always loved the look of wild discus!
Absolutely! Mother Nature is a much better fish designer than we are lol.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just out of curiosity if I wanted to start supplementing my plants what and how would you guys suggest? This is my first foray into emersed plant growth so I don't know if I should go about that differently.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
im pretty sure u can just use regular fertz for your tank your riparium plants will just soak up the nutrients anyways
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
im pretty sure u can just use regular fertz for your tank your riparium plants will just soak up the nutrients anyways
^+1
I use Seacehm: Flourish, potassium, phosphorus, and iron, dosed into my ripariums (no excel since above water plants don't need it). They're going great! My flowering plants never stop spitting out new blooms!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
^+1
I use Seacehm: Flourish, potassium, phosphorus, and iron, dosed into my ripariums (no excel since above water plants don't need it). They're going great! My flowering plants never stop spitting out new blooms!
sweet thanks ill give it a shot
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
fantastic setup! Cant watch the vids right now; but I'm a huge fan of discus! cant wait to watch it later.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode