Paludarium Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paludarium Question

So I've got a 20 gallon (high) paludarium.
I inherited it from a friend, and it had been used with archers and, I believe, some sort of gecko or anole.
When I got it, it was just a piece of acrylic bent to fit on the back wall of the tank. I filled it up with potting soil and planted it with jade, mondo grass and "polka dot plant" (hypoestes phyllostachya). The construction of the tank includes the acrylic piece, which has a piece of piping running through it. The piping fits on a small pump, which can hold a small sac of carbon. The pump moves the water to the other end of the "island" acrylic piece, where it falls down a slate waterfall. The waterfall has java moss on it, growing 80% submerged. This waterfall is a bridge up to the planted island area. The water portion of the tank holds about 8 gallons. In it I have one betta, and some feeder guppies. For aquatic plants I have bamboo growing with the stalk in the sand underwater, and the leaves in the air, and java moss, and some driftwood.
I have a small hydor mini heater and for lighting I use a twin bulb flourescent fixture, with plant bulbs in it.

My main question is this: I was hoping to add some sort of critter to this tank. I want something that won't need to eat crickets or other bugs, and that will be happy in this tank. I know that fire belly toads can sometimes be trained on feeder guppies. Is this a good source of food? Or does it lack nutrients?
If so, would I be able to have two or three of these toads in this tank?
How much do they eat, and how often?
I have done research, but I was more interested in the opinions of people here and personal experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
try a gold dust day gecko. i keep a breeding pair, and never feed anything but a prepared formula powdered food. it works great, they are healthy, colorful, and energetic. i feed repashy MRP base and repashy MRP nectar at a ratio of 6:4.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Fire belly toads secret poison, they should not be kept with any other animal. If they do eat fish, and I remember reading that they can at times, your beta would be on the menu as well.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

Hi, why don't you keep a musk turtle with it? Although it would make a run for the Beta for sure..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode