Carnivorous plant terrarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Carnivorous plant terrarium

Curious if anyone on here has experience with specializing in carnivorous plants and suitable symbiotic species in a terrarium. I've become fascinated with carnivorous plants but unfortunately the climate where I live is incredibly limiting on what types I would be able to actually keep outdoors in a bog garden. I get zero responses to any of my inquiries on terra forums which is basically like the tpt of carnivorous plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've a fly trap and a pitcher plant for two years now. They're planted in a plastic pot full of sphagnum moss. They sit outdoors so long as the temp is above 45F. I bromg them in the garage when it's cold. Part shade. I water with tap water left out overnight before use. Sometimes I forget and just water them with straight tap.

I grew a bunch of fly trap from seed once in a 10 gallon fish tank. They were just to the point of their first mature traps, but then died off quickly. I think it was a lack of drainage.

Been thinking of getting those glass terrarium on a cement pot looking things from World Market and drilling holes in the bottom. Not sure if they'd like whatever chemicals are in the cement or whatever that pot is made of.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
bpb
Wannabe Guru

I have a sarracenia and a vft on my porch right now in pots. They're doing ok. A couple lids on the sarr look a little burnt on the ends, possibly from photo shock and temperature shock, but one of the pitchers is starting to turn red, which is my goal with the high light. I'd really like to do an outdoor bog display with a dozen or two different carnivorous plants, and would love live sphagnum but I'm sure it's much too hot. Wanting more input before I go ordering a bunch of plants. Oddly enough in the CP hobby, there isn't a whole lot of information exchange going on on forums. Just a lot of "look at my photos" threads and stuff.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Planted Member

I had a nepenthes. The problem with nepenthes is that it will eventually grow huge. The cups become about a foot in length. I put it in terrarium conditions and the moisture damaged all the cups, as well as the newest leaf. Right now I have it in a regular pot with my other plants, but I do not think it is going to make it.

However my terrarium was for moisture loving plants. I am sure that you could set up an adequate habitat by stydying the conditions needed by the plant. As far as size... this would be the problem with nepenthes at least. You may need a very large terrarium. I believe that people do have nepenthes as a house plant. It is all about conditions.

Similarly, finding other plants that go with the carniverous plant is a matter of researching various plants and sometimes trial and error.

You seem to live in College Station, Texas? That is near Houston? I've always thought of that as being fairly humid and warm all the time. I am on the West side of the Texas pan handle, and it is very dry here. Have you considered an outdoor green house? I know of 2 carnivorous plant growers on You tube but they are up on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver). They get big snows there but seem to keep their carnivorous plants happy. They have carnivorous plants like (pardon spelling) pingicula, saracinas, nepenthes, venus fly traps all in their green houses. These are Brad of "Brad's Greenhouse," and Bill, of "PlantsNthings."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Carnivorous plant terrarium

Correct indeed I am about an hour from Houston, but we are in a valley so we are lower topographically. It actually stays the touch warmer and more humid here than Houston is just down the highway. We get about two months of light freezes intermittently over our generally mild winters. The heat is what really worries me about some of the nicer CP. I should be able to grow sarrs and vft 365 247 outdoors here if properly acclimated.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:16 AM
Planted Member

I chose carefully as far as heat and cool. It is almost like humidity is the thing you can play with (here). I kil cool growing masdevalias. I need to go warm growing for everything. Would you say that your lat/long, and humidity echoes any place where the sarrs grow wild? You might also stick with Sarrs that grow in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. I have seen people on line growing them well in Arizona and California.

You do realize that they can grow to be three feet high and over?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Yes. Hoping I can achieve that level of growth. I may use a 1/2 whiskey barrel with pond liner as the container.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Terrarium growing will limit you to tropical and subtropical Drosera and Utricularia. Outdoor growing gives you the chance to grow Sarracenia, temperate Drosera, and Dionea outside year round. Sarracenia alata is native to eastern parts of Texas. You can also grow S. rosea, S. psittacina, S. leucophylla, and S. minor and their hybrids without any problems. Other Sarracenia species will do fine, though they might experience scorched pitcher tops in severely hot weather.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
bpb
Wannabe Guru

I'd love to do a terrarium and maybe will eventually. I'll try my hand at growing temperate species outdoors first. I actually like most of the tropical ones more as far as color and form, but they do seem a lot more difficult to care for. The thing that really gets me is some of them look like they need a 10-20 degree temperature drop at night. I don't think installing a window unit in the garage just for the terrarium would be in the cards. My wife would think I've truly lost my mind

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode