Riparium with cracked tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Riparium with cracked tank?

I have a tank that I'd like to do something with but it's cracked. I think it's either a 60 or 65 gallon tank and there is a crack on one end pane that runs from the top frame, across the pane, and down to the corner seam. The previous owner slopped silicone all over it. Since the crack is on the upper portion of the pane, could I still use it as a riparium with water in the bottom half? It's such a nice tank and has great dimensions for something like this, I hate to see it just sitting

Nicole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I can't see a good reason not to use the tank, as long as the water line is well below the crack. Since there will be about 40% of the height of water in the tank as it is designed to hold, it should be plenty strong enough. But, how will you make the crack invisible? Since a riparium is intended, as I see it, to be a beautiful arrangement of plants more than anything else, a crack could distract attention from the plants. I know we are told that keeping the glass absolutely clean is half of the battle.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah, I though about that. I'm hoping some well-placed plants could hide it. The tank has been in storage so long I honestly can't remember how big the crack is or its exact placement. I'm gonna dig it out today and see what I can do.

Nicole

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
the dimensions of the 65 (36 wide X 24 tall X 18 deep) are really nice for ripariums: this is my favorite shape. like Hoppy said so long as the water line is at least 6" or so below the crack it ought to be OK. can you post some pictures of it?

if the silicone is unsightly you could start out in that tank, then upgrade to a new 65 once you get everything established. it would be easy to enough to switch everything out. the Aqueon 65 is only 110 bucks brand new here.

if you are into plants that tank could also be good for growing orchids, although there in Florida you can do as well just putting orchids outside.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode