15H Riparium, my First - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
15H Riparium, my First

Here is my riparium as it sits tonight:

OK, so it isn't quite ready for prime time I finally made the mistake of spending too much time on Hydrophyte's website and blog, and just couldn't resist any longer. I have a good spot to put one, but it has a 10 gallon tank stand there, which stores the stuff for my other tank. So, I visited Craigslist, another mistake!

First I found the perfect tank, a 29 gallon complete with a beautiful stand, all for $60, but the stand is 36 inches long, too long for the space I have. Next, I found a 20H, which was $15! That one I checked out, only to find it was actually a 15H, which fits my 10 gallon tank stand perfectly. So, I bought it.

I forgot: first, I showed my wife one of the best photos Hydrophyte has, and asked if she would like one. And, she said, sure, but what about cleaning the algae off all the time. I assured her that Ripariums never get algae And, off I go.

------to be continued-----

Hoppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I too have been reading about the Ripariums. Now I will live through your project. Have fun with it!

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nice I've been eye balling my 29gl for a riparium, with my blue gularis that likes to jump 4 inches. Would be fun to dangle insects on overhanging leaves.

This'll be fun to watch, subscribed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm sure you'll do a great job on this endeavor. Subscribed!!!
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Very nice. It was only time before this would catch on. They really are extravagent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Nice I've been eye balling my 29gl for a riparium, with my blue gularis that likes to jump 4 inches. Would be fun to dangle insects on overhanging leaves.

This'll be fun to watch, subscribed.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/1260294196.html is the 29 gallon I really wanted to try this with, if only I had the room for it. Much more planting space, and tall enough to work well for a riparium, even though it is too shallow, front to back, to be ideal.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement! I really needed it.

Hoppy
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I bet your wife is a saint : )
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Does a riparium fall under the MTS category?

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Does a riparium fall under the MTS category?
I vote yes. I was planning on selling my 75 gal to cut back on tanks, and then the riparium bug got me. Now I still have the 75, and also added a 125.
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I spent most of the morning removing the heavy hard water marks and coating from the tank. I hate to say what chemicals I ended up having to use, but most of it was removed with a single edge razor blade. So, reassured that it will be possible to make this look good, I removed the top trim. All it took was a putty knife, pushed down through the silicone around the top, with the tank upsidedown. It popped a lot, making me think I was shattering the top edge of the glass, but that was just the silicon seam popping. Then, turning it back over, the top came off pretty easily. And, good news, the top edges of the glass are well rounded over and polished. The God of Ripariums smiled on me today!

EDIT: That big smile by the God or Ripariums was actually the beginning of a horse laugh! The top edges of the glass felt so well rounded and polished because there was a thin bead of silicone on them. Once I started to scrape off the bits of silicone I realized that. And, the top edge has sharp corners, and little half moon broken out spots to boot. But, I bought a silicon carbide sharpening stone, and quickly took care of that.

Hoppy
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The tank and light are finally set up:

That old tank had an awful lot of hard water deposits on it, and there is still enough of a haze left that my wife is asking that I "clean it up". So, I suspect I will keep working on that, plus touching up the wall behind it, so the mounting holes for the last light fixture I used won't show. I'm thinking of using some spa acid I bought a couple of years ago - sulphuric acid, which should eat out the remaining calcium carbonate off the glass.

Meanwhile I ordered my planters from Hydrophyte, plus a few small cuttings of plants to get me started. Those are due tomorrow! Time rushes on!

Hoppy
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
I am hearing that Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker cleaner is the business when it comes to removing hard water stains. May be worth a shot.

post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Will you share what you used to clean up the glass? I have a baggie of that coffeemachinecleanerstuff, might give it a try. Got some glass covers with years of calcium deposits, they don't seem to get clear again with the usual cleaners. Let me know how you eventually get rid of the haze. Not sure if (secretly) buying a new tank would be better on the long run, the 20's or 15's are pretty cheap.

Nice start...

post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
I am hearing that Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker cleaner is the business when it comes to removing hard water stains. May be worth a shot.
Thanks, I will try to get some today and try it. A 10% sulphuric acid, made to adjust pH down in spas didn't touch it. Maybe if I could keep the surface wet with it for 4 hours, but I can't figure out a good way to do that. I just laid the tank on the front glass, propped the front up slightly, and poured the acid on the glass, and left it for about 15 minutes. Then I stood it back up and used a folded paper towel to scrub for another 15 minutes. Little, if any effect.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode