low light riparium plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
low light riparium plants?

I happen to not have room (or outlets) for an extra light above my tank, and I'm trying to keep the tank relatively low light itself (skittish lowlight blackwater fishies). I'm wanting to add a few riparium plants to make the scape a bit more authentic, but all the ones I can think of either get huge, need more light, or both. Something slow growing, stays small (at least for awhile), and can handle pretty low light conditions.

I'm figuring that emersed anubias would work, although I can't think of any others that might fit the bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Photo of set up? Is light right against the top of the tank or raised slightly? Any sunlight from a window (direct or indirect)?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Very indirect light most times of the year (unless it's winter, in which case it gets an hour or two of direct light). Please ignore the mess. For scale, this is a 5 gallon tank

When the tank wasn't a blackwater tank, it seemed to be low-medium light, but with the water, it's now low/very low light. Not that I figure my anubias or moss are going to be complaining much. At least it'll keep the algae off the anubias.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lucky bambo (Dracaena Sanderiana)
Purple waffle (Hemigraphis 'Exotica')
Wandering jew (Tradescantia zebrine + few other variations of Tradescantia)vine
Dragon's tongue (Hemigraphis repanda)
Pothos (several variations) technically gets long not tall(vine) but can be trimmed easily
Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) I've not owned this one yet.. it gets 'bushy', not too tall though. Seen it on a few ripariums

There are some Peace lily (Spathiphyllum) species that stay small but not all, I don't know proper name for those that stay at/under 12" sorry. Don't think most stores sell the small sp. You can contact hydrophyte on this forum, ask them if they have their small Spathiphyllum species. Do not get Spathiphyllum domino, unless 18" tall is ok (height of mine after a year) the other one they gave me was solid green and is staying small.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's also occurred to me that I could just put small pots behind the tank and raise them to the right level to make a faux-riparium look. That would give me more options, although the same couple of houseplants keep coming up. I will probably be bothering my grandmother's spider plant soon.

I've heard some ferns might work (in pots outside the tank) as well, but I really don't have much experience with those out of the water. I could probably do a couple as a living wall of sorts, which would probably be the best way to use the limited space behind the tank.

As far as true riparium plants go, I'm still thinking a couple upright anubias would be the best bet- I can't think of anything that would work better in low light emersed conditions. I actually do have some petites that are emersed on the driftwood, and they seem to be doing just fine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
It's also occurred to me that I could just put small pots behind the tank and raise them to the right level to make a faux-riparium look. That would give me more options, although the same couple of houseplants keep coming up. I will probably be bothering my grandmother's spider plant soon.

I've heard some ferns might work (in pots outside the tank) as well, but I really don't have much experience with those out of the water. I could probably do a couple as a living wall of sorts, which would probably be the best way to use the limited space behind the tank.

As far as true riparium plants go, I'm still thinking a couple upright anubias would be the best bet- I can't think of anything that would work better in low light emersed conditions. I actually do have some petites that are emersed on the driftwood, and they seem to be doing just fine.
No experience with keeping terrestrial ferns, some like higher humidity than others (50% some even 80%) so research first.

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a terrestrial fern last week end. It's not setup yet though. Still thinkering about it.

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi, I am now gathering plants and so on for a 75 gallon plaudarium. It is to be at least half way full of water. One problem is that as it is a fish tank and not a case made specifically for terrarium/vivariums, I have the problem of not so much room for plants at the top. My plan is to eventually create a kind of "top" which would be something like a wardian case. This would raise my plant count.

As far as low light plants that love being in a humid environment, grow slowly, remain small, you can not go wrong with small mounted orchids.
These are what I have so far:
Grosourdya appendiculata,

Anoectochilus lowii, and Ludisia X Lightning.

Cadetia (Dendrobium) Taylorii

Bulbophylum catenulatum. Looks like it sprawls a bit. No flowers.

Dendrobium aberrans.

Haraella oderata

In addition I got several varieties of spike moss, and a few low light plants available at garden centers.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyke View Post
Hi, I am now gathering plants and so on for a 75 gallon plaudarium. It is to be at least half way full of water. One problem is that as it is a fish tank and not a case made specifically for terrarium/vivariums, I have the problem of not so much room for plants at the top. My plan is to eventually create a kind of "top" which would be something like a wardian case. This would raise my plant count.

As far as low light plants that love being in a humid environment, grow slowly, remain small, you can not go wrong with small mounted orchids.

In addition I got several varieties of spike moss, and a few low light plants available at garden centers.
I did consider orchids, but having no experience with them, and not knowing what I was getting, I decided to hold off. Maybe another time if I've got someone making sure I'm not doing dumb things to them.

I did figure out a solution, I'm not sure how it will work out long term, but for now, it seems to be working. I got a plastic drawer organizer basket, and it turns out it fits snugly between my tank and the wall. A bit of light adjustment later, and hopefully it will work.

I added a layer of gravel to the bottom (drainage/holding some water), and used some rampantly growing local moss to line the inside. I used dirt from the plant pots to fill it. I added a Lemon Button fern (split in 2), Purple Waffle plant (2/4 plants in pot), and two reaaaally small cuttings from a Rex Begonia. No idea what will work or not (though I'm confident the fern will survive at least), but it's been a couple days, and things have only needed water once. To water it, I took the basket to a sink, and gave it a drink. I let it drain for a bit before replacing it.

The basket slips out of its little hole quite easily, so I'll probably add a couple nails or something to make sure it doesn't fall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode