Anthurium in a shower caddy? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Anthurium in a shower caddy?

I keep a smallish anthurium on the windowsill in the fish room and I've noticed that it seems to prefer wet feet.

Does anyone have one keep one in a shower caddy or similar?

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have one in a home made HOB
Paint holder as HOB planter
Before I put it there, it was in a paint roller tray transformed into a river. It has not flowered in a long time though

I have seen some people here that have them in a shower caddy if I am not mistaken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Mariostg; 06-21-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added thread link
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks!

Angelo

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Anthurium don't stay small, it can get over 12" tall.. mines closer to 18" if you count the bloom

I use shower caddies for all my riparium plants on the 55 (pictured above) and 20g long (below).

Caddies from store, super cheap here bout $2, make sure it has slits on the bottom to let water in and roots grow out, all plastic (and rubber) only, no metal caddied!:

I use expanded clay media (left over from aquaponics-very similar to ripariums but usually with edible plants), and will sometimes top with leftover gravel. The clay media is lighter than gravel so less strain on the suction cups and absorbs water and wicks it up to the roots so you don't have to worry about the water level going down a bit as long as the bottom of the caddie is still in water.

There are a lot of plants that do great in riparium! Be forewarned: ripariums are addictive! You'll find yourself buying new plants to try on it then run out of room and get a new/add more onto another existing tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 06-21-2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: updated 55 fll tank photo
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I knew AquaAurora would pop in soon or later

Mine is about 12 inches. But no blooms

|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Mariostg; 06-21-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added size statement
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
I knew AquaAurora would pop in soon or later

Mine is about 12 inches. But no blooms
^^
Hmm..Do you dose any ferts or have root tabs stuffed in media by the riparium roots, whats your nitrates and lighting like? I dose seachem ferts (iron, phosphours, pottasium, and flourish daily) and the tank has 20-ish ppm nitrates. Light is 6500k t5 x2 bulb 4' long, about 1' above the top of the antherium, lights on on 7 hours a day.
I feel like it started taking off with blooms when I began dosing iron, but that was the same time nitrates went up (had been staying around 0 for a while). The blooms start out looking like a pale pink wrapped leaf and don't grow quite as fast as new leaves, from base to finally opening feels like over 3 weeks.. maybe a month (but I'm terrible at keeping track of time).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I like those little caddies! WalMart?

I found some really big ones that fit in the corner and put them in each corner of my 180G. The stand is 40" tall and with the height of the tank......let's just say it's up there, lol!

The Anthurium I've had for a while now is pretty tall too. But I'm noticing what look like root nodes along the "stem". It's starting to look more like a vertically growing rhizome.

I just bought a much smaller one yesterday, and it reminded me of some miniatures I've run across. I may have to start looking around for those little guys.

I made the mistake of loading those corner caddies with plain gravel when I first set them up. I used plastic spring clamps to make sure they don't fall. They disappeared in the jungle pretty quickly. I'm going to have to get some of that expanded clay media and do them over again and add Anthuriums.

Angelo

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I like those little caddies! WalMart?

Actually I found these at my local Giant Food store. I ended up buying and shipping 7 to another member on here who couldn't find any, they paid for caddies and shipping.

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I found my caddies at a dollar store, Dollarama here in Canada. I made some hooks as the succion cups are not not sucking...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
^^
Hmm..Do you dose any ferts or have root tabs stuffed in media by the riparium roots, whats your nitrates and lighting like? I dose seachem ferts (iron, phosphours, pottasium, and flourish daily) and the tank has 20-ish ppm nitrates. Light is 6500k t5 x2 bulb 4' long, about 1' above the top of the antherium, lights on on 7 hours a day.
I feel like it started taking off with blooms when I began dosing iron, but that was the same time nitrates went up (had been staying around 0 for a while). The blooms start out looking like a pale pink wrapped leaf and don't grow quite as fast as new leaves, from base to finally opening feels like over 3 weeks.. maybe a month (but I'm terrible at keeping track of time).
I don't want to steal Bushkill thread...
I don't use root tabs, and I haven't measured NO3/iron in ages. I would need to calibrate more than likely. I measured PO4 yesterday and that was above 5ppm. considering I don't do water changes, I would stipulate NO3 must be pretty high. I add K2SO4 and micros on a rather pseudo-random basis.

Light could probably be increased, tank is near a window, so that's all it gets. I might try increasing iron and see what that does.

|
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Actually I found these at my local Giant Food store. I ended up buying and shipping 7 to another member on here who couldn't find any, they paid for caddies and shipping.
I was out almost all day and wouldn't ya know it I was literally feet away from a Giant, lol! I'll be back there soon though. Thanks for the tip.

Can you recommend a source for the expanded clay?

Angelo

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I was out almost all day and wouldn't ya know it I was literally feet away from a Giant, lol! I'll be back there soon though. Thanks for the tip.

Can you recommend a source for the expanded clay?
Not all Giants have them but some do, hope yours will.

I usedhttp://www.amazon.com/PLANT-GMC10L-Clay-Pebbles-4mm-16mm/dp/B009LNOZQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434982433&sr=8-2&keywords=plantit!&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011, I got the 10L bag and am only using about 1/2 of it right now (the stuff is reusable so I'm nowhere near running out of it yet) on my 55g and 20g long. I've not tried another product to compare it with. A LOT of people in aquaponics use Hydroton, its a discontinued item for production but people still sell it. I cannot link E-to-BAY on this forum but that's a good place to start looking for a cheap price. You can also try looking/calling up nurseries or garden centers in your area and ask if they sell expanded clay media and ask for pricing.

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Those shower caddies look just like the Riparium planters I have, minus the place for velcro floating rafts.

Eheim Pimp #475
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

if one is looking for a "heavy duty" planter, I saw those drain grates at HD the other day.

It's 3 or 4 inches diameter depending on model.

|
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or you could just go to a hydroponic shop and buy netted pots for like 70 cents...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerah1 View Post
Those shower caddies look just like the Riparium planters I have, minus the place for velcro floating rafts.
I have a few ripariums planters too they use the exact same plastic caddie but the ripariums planters have the Velcro glued on the front and a different suction cup (the store bought one has better suction than the ripariums ones imo), and the ripariums one comes with the little price of cut window screen.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode