Mike's 45Column Vivarium(56k Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mike's 45Column Vivarium(56k Warning)

So, I started this project a few months ago to keep a thumbnail species (aka extremely small) of poison dart frogs. However, money got tight so for right now the only inhabitants are springtails (little white bugs that eat mold and thrive in high humidity environments).

Anyhow, here is how it looked in the beginning:

It then progressed into this:

And finally, here we are today:

The driftwood waterfall is covered in riccia, as well as some of the soil, along with frogmoss to the right.

Here's a view up the waterfall:

Bromeliads sprouting pups:

My favorite bromeliad (It was ugly and half dead when I got it, now it has this awesome blood red color)

Masdevallia pyxis orchid sprouting new leaves:

Another favorite brom, this one holds a ton of water and would be great for the frogs to raise tadpoles in:

View of the whole vivarium, looking up from the small pond section:

Who says dead moss won't come back to life?

And now, for the best part.... the fog machine.

After several minutes the misty fog begins to settle and gives the vivarium this really awesome evening effect:

Well, that's my little vivarium (And the reason I'm coming back to freshwater after a long hiatus into the reefing world.)

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Awesome! This really makes me want to set up a viv.

What did you use for the background? It gives a nice natural effect, like the base of a tree or something.

Whenever you get frogs, I'm sure they will love it in there.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I made the background myself, it's just expanding insulation foam, cured for a few days, then smeared with black silicone and cocofiber pressed into the silicone.

The best part is, after the bromeliads take root (They're strong enough to root through the foam. Hell, the big one next to the waterfall has roots going through the driftwood) You can take out any supports (I use bamboo chopsticks in a V shape) and their roots hold them up in place.

Heres a picture of the background before the silicone/dirt process:
\

Oh yea, and I pressed some cork bark flat pieces and tubes into the foam before it hardened.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Algae Grower

Nice. Please put some frogs in there, they'd look AWESOME and They'd be extremely happy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode