New Riparium tank and poisonous plant question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Riparium tank and poisonous plant question

Hello,

A few months ago I decided to move my two year old betta to a 20long and fill it half way so he would have an easier time getting to the top. I added some plants and thought hey what a neat idea I have found ha ha ha, upon further research I found out what I was doing was called a Riparium and someone, many someones had already thought of it!!

Anyways here is my tank and I have questions on plants and toxicity to fish further down.

Top Down:

From outside to inside I have Umbrella sedge, coleus, spathiphyllum, ivy, dracena colora

Front:

I have kept under water simple with crypts and java fern and marimo moss.

This tank has 0 nitrates. I liked the idea so much that I decided to add some land plant roots into my main 35g community tank in the hopes of having to do less water changes.

This tank I added curly bamboo (dracena), pothos, philodendron and sweet potato vine.
There seems to be some question on another forum I am on whether these plant roots would be toxic to my fish. I would greatly love some imput on someone knowledgeable about plants. Specifically I have been told I shouldn't be using the philodendron or the curly bamboo though my initial research does not show they are toxic to fish.

The list of plants I am working from are as follows, though I know there are many more that could potentially be used:
Begonias
Chinese evergreen
Coleus
Croton
Dracena
Herbs, including mint, basil, oregano, lavender, rosemary, and sage
Impatiens
Ivy (any type)
Philodendron
Pothos
Sweet potato vine
Wandering Jew

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not sureabout the toxicity of your plants, or their roots... but in this case I wouldnt expect your betta to nibble at them... a gouramI, or gold fish or some other herbivorious fish then I might be concerned... but only if I had some evidence they were poisonous...

If youre really overly concerned, take a look at the link in my sig, for a way to grow the plants in a large planter plumped into the main tank. It would isolat tje roots from your fish and mighthide your riparium planters better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I don't believe you'll have to worry about with those plants. Pothos is on the poisons plant list for house pets but its a very commonly used plants in ripariums. There's been no reported incident of fish death correlated with having it in the tank. I have ALOT on my 55g riparium (have had pothos growing on fish inhabited tanks since last April) and at one point it had so many roots my angelfish could not move around the tank easily so I hacked all the roots short in the tank and let them regrow-no deaths/sickness/signs of stress to any fish (I even have sensitive otos and cory in the tank who I'd suspect would be the first to die if anything was wrong).

I'm curious how the Coleus, Croton, and Dracena adapted to riparium life? I've been meaning to try them, especially the Chinese ever green but keep forgetting to grab one.

I found wondering jew grew faster than pothos on my tanks, but its stem/vine is not as strong so it sags quickly-also it doesn't tolerate wet leaves like pothos can.

People have put sweet/regular potato vines in tank water and as the vine grow, pushed it into a pot/box of soil and produced potatoes (you'd need more nitrates in your tank if you tried to get potatoes out of the vine though).

Also slight tanget: marimo is not a moss but a specialized form of slow growing hair algae.

Some other terrestrial plants for ripariums(that I've grown on my 55 and 20g long):
Fittonia albivenis
Aluminum plant
Friendship plant
Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella
Anthurium
Alocosia polly
Riccia
Purple queen
Syngonium
Purple Waffle
Dragons Tongue
Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'
Sweetflag
Star Grass
Rain lily
Polka dot/mosaic plant
Riccia (emersed)
Hydro sp. japan (emersed)
Helxine soleirolii

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the list of plants! Where have you found the aluminum plant? I have looked at nurseries but seem to be missing it and I really like it.

I initially put in two of the dracaenas. One died, the one I still have is doing great and has new growth. I think I planted the stem too far out of the sand on the one that died.

The coleus has also done great though tends to wilt a little at first due do its more fragile, non-woody stems. I found the second time I planted them that keeping the original plant together instead of trying to separate it out was key to it faring well. The ones in my photo were planted about 4 days ago and are not wilting like the original ones did.
I have not tried a chinese evergreen but I like how they look also.

Ha, I had no idea marimo was a hair algae. One I guess I like.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not to derail, but in response to aquaaurora, the croton and dracaena that I had/have in my planter adapted just fine, my only gripe with them is the slow slow growth... im partly blaming it on the lighting, but even after moving the croton to a window sill that gets direct sun light for several hours each day (with an almost identical planter setup) it still grows very slowly. I think its the fact they are woody stems instead of the much softer stems on everything else I have

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not derailing either, just adding to the statistics, I have a croton in a shower caddy in my 75 gallon. It's been over a month I suppose and ding fine. Before that it was in a temporary river made from a paint roller tray. Very wet environment. Did fine there too.

|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

I ended up picking up some polka dot plants today. They look a lot like the aluminum plant. I put them in my riparium but also in my 35g tank today in a shower caddy along with the sweet potato vines. I'm going to start really watching my nitrates with all these terrestrial land plants in.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiL View Post
Thank you so much for the list of plants! Where have you found the aluminum plant? I have looked at nurseries but seem to be missing it and I really like it.

I initially put in two of the dracaenas. One died, the one I still have is doing great and has new growth. I think I planted the stem too far out of the sand on the one that died.

The coleus has also done great though tends to wilt a little at first due do its more fragile, non-woody stems. I found the second time I planted them that keeping the original plant together instead of trying to separate it out was key to it faring well. The ones in my photo were planted about 4 days ago and are not wilting like the original ones did.
I have not tried a chinese evergreen but I like how they look also.

Ha, I had no idea marimo was a hair algae. One I guess I like.
I bought mine from a riparium plant seller (they do not ship well) but I've seen them periodically at home depot too.

I forgot to put creeping jenny on the list, its works in the garden, under water, or in the riparium-great versatile undemanding plant!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode