what type of creature for my 20g high? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what type of creature for my 20g high?

i am looking for recommendations on what type of creature i could keep in a 20g high. I want to get away from water and fish for a while as i now have a 55g all male mbuna, 46g P. saulosi species only tank, and a 30g planted gourami tank.

i am not exactly sure what type of animal i want but here is what i do know. I do not want an animal that requires a heat rock. I would also like to have some low light plants in there.

any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Planted Member

Heat rocks are really outdated, and there are no animals I suggest using them for. Their reputation for malfunction and burning inhabitants is all too common. If you're looking to do plants, frogs are a good place to start. There are a ton of options, and you'll have to look around and see what you like. Avoid heavy burrowers, like pacman, pixie, and chubby frogs. You can also try smaller lizards, like an anole, or long-tailed grass lizard. You could try a day gecko, too, though I'd recommend some reptile-keeping experience first. Now that summer's coming around, you could pick up a rough green snake. It's a small, very attractive US native. And, they're insect eaters, so no worries about having to feed rodents.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you very much for the reply. i havent kept a reptile of any type since i was about 12 which was nearly 15 years ago. SO i am glad to hear that heat rocks are outdated. I never like those things.

Frogs would be pretty cool. I like those bright frogs that look like poison dart frogs. How many of those would work in a 20g High? Also if the escape easy that could be a problem because i do not want my dog eating the frog and getting sick.

As far as the common lizard goes i can look out in my back yard and see 4 different species in any given day. A gecko would be cool but i really dont have to much reptile keeping experience and i dont want an animal that is difficult to keep.

Depending on the difficulty of the little frogs i might go with them.

thanks again for your suggestions

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
a phelsuma laticauda laticauda (gold dust day gecko). i keep a breeding pair, and they are not too demanding, but looka awesome.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Planted Member

Dart frogs are very labor intensive, requiring daily or even 2x and 3x daily feedings of live foods you will have to culture yourself. I used to breed the things, and they really are quite a bit of work. If you don't mind breeding the fruit flies and pinhead crickets they will have to eat, then you can give it a go (pinheads are VERY tiny...you can't buy them at your local pet store unless you have them ordered in 500 lots, usually). Perhaps try looking at some sort of treefrogs, like Red-Eyed Treefrogs, or Tiger-Legged Monkey Frogs.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm. i dont really want tree frogs or common animals. i live in south georgia and i can go out back and find about every native frog, lizard, snake. we even have a creek behind the house with fiddler crabs, blue craps, and gators too.

SO basically i am looking for something that is low maintance, not a common animal i can find outside my house, and will work with some live plants as well.

I am almost considering doing the half water land thing. I know the setup cost and maintance will go up, but i have seen some awsome looking ones. I cannot remeber the exact names. one was a ripirium and one was a paludadium or something like that.

when i was younger i had a newt i really liked. would i have to have a filter system in for a newt? or would something as simple as a sponge filter work?

any one have newts?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Planted Member

Get hermit crabs dude

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode