Aquaponics Vs Walsted Method Vs Weekly Water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquaponics Vs Walsted Method Vs Weekly Water changes

i have been looking into the first two methods of taking care of our underwater ecosystem.

for years people have been doing water changes and we all know it works BUT does that mean its the only method of taking care of your aquarium. i would like to know your thoughts about which of these three you prefer, why you prefer it, whether you use combinations etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Water changes is good for the animals and does replenish some minerals plants need although weekly is much in a natural aquarium. Every month or 2 is good. I haven't changed my water in my natural aquarium in a long while though.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I've done both + ripariums. Granted the aquaponic system for was a giant pleco that was a poop monster so I still had to do 2x a week 20% water changes to get all his poop up (so much poop x.x) but the benefit of getting your own fresh and truly organic food (bonus if tank and fish have NEVER had meds since you got them) definitely makes it worth it for the initial cost and hassle of setup. I have a walsted tank and i still do water changes because its a pico and snails make it messy looking with their poop again but nitrate wise I don't have to be doing so much water changing.
Agree with the above about replenishing minerals.. BUT if you use ro/di water and dose minterals/ferts yourself then congratulations! You can skip the water removal and add in part perminently!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aqua Aurora thank you some much. this was the information i have been waiting to hear for 3 days lool. im gonna try a mini aquaponics with bamboo and spider plant in my HOB and see what the effect is. having live plants in my tank and outside is pleasing to look at. my tank will be quite under stocked with tetra, rams and hatchet fish.

the walsted method is good but the thing that puts me off is that most of the tanks that work by that method look ugly IMO. im sorry but the majority are an eyesore.

right now im going to use peat filtration. i really hate the amount of water RO units produce but i will invest in one anyway (i guess my garden will benefit).

cheers
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Hero View Post
the walsted method is good but the thing that puts me off is that most of the tanks that work by that method look ugly IMO. im sorry but the majority are an eyesore.
cheers
It's a matter of taste. I saw really nice Walstad tanks on this forum. I like mines anyway.

|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

true i respect that. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i didn't say all of the tanks looked bad though
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Tank Filtration

Hello Aqua...

Research the use of land plants in the tank to help maintain the water chemistry. I've found the Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen) helps maintain low nitrogen levels in planted tanks. The more plants of this type you use, the less the need for water changes.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah i have researched it in depth so i know what youre talking about. just recently i have discovered another method of reducing the nitrates in the water.

basically its the concept of having a deep sand bed that will act as a place for aerobic, anaerobic and anoxic zones where different types of bacteria will live and help with the water chemistry.

here the link: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...e_7_1/dsb.html

one problem i have is if i were to use aquaponics in conjunction with lives plants and DSB while having a light bio load of fish. there mine not be enough nitrates for all three options. one of the three will suffer.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I signed on for water changes when I began keeping fishes four decades ago ,and have had good result's with regular water changes.
Walstad tank's I have seen were small and very few fishes.
Could perhap's get away with monthly water changes in these type tanks with lot's of plant's.
Have yet to see water changes hurt fishes/plant's unless...they are few and far between.
If the twenty minutes it takes to change out a portion of water in my tanks became an issue,I would quit the hobby.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Aqua Aurora thank you some much. this was the information i have been waiting to hear for 3 days lool. im gonna try a mini aquaponics with bamboo and spider plant in my HOB and see what the effect is. having live plants in my tank and outside is pleasing to look at. my tank will be quite under stocked with tetra, rams and hatchet fish.

right now im going to use peat filtration. i really hate the amount of water RO units produce but i will invest in one anyway (i guess my garden will benefit).

cheers
Looks aside, you've missed the point of Walstad's method. That point is, it works.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i know the walstad method work but the disadvantage for me is that it doesn't suit my taste. i never said it didnt work.

guys guys i know the miracles that can be achieved with water changes cause i have been doing them all my life. however, what i also want to achieve is an ecosystem that doesnt 100% rely on heavy 50% water changes every week.. with my old tanks i had to do 50% water changes every wee because if i missed one week i would have problems. i remember i missed one week and i had a green algae and brown algae bloom. the tank was overstocked with fish and had no plants. i stripped it down and now it is heavily planted with a deep sand bed. im planning to understock it, over filtrate it and use some aquaponics. doing 50% water changes every week in a setup like that would have NO PROBLEMS to the tank, but is it really necessary in this particular setup?

would doing 15-25% water changes weekly be a bad thing in a setup like this?

would doing 50% water changes but less frequently (2-3 weeks) be a bad thing in a set up like this?

i have my 8 gallon where i have a betta and did 25% water changes each week. it had no plants also but my betta did fine and the tank is stable. then i introduced alot of plants and some cherry shrimp. if the water is getting bad my cherry shrimp will stop eating and swim all over the tank and into the filter flow. i do 25% water changes every two weeks and the tank is betta and shrimp are still thriving. but because im not doing water changes every week people will tell me "You will have problems" but its been like this for 5 months and they are all thriving. Im i doing a bad thing?

again let me stress this to you guys, i am not against water changes in any way. i haven't said "i wont be doing water changes anymore". im saying with the particular setup im establishing. is major frequent ones necessary? hope this clears up the confusion.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is really nothing wrong in not doing water changes. But other will disagree . I am of the minority that don't do it. I top up, trim plants, monitor TDS add K and Fe once in a while.

|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
i know the walstad method work but the disadvantage for me is that it doesn't suit my taste. i never said it didnt work.

guys guys i know the miracles that can be achieved with water changes cause i have been doing them all my life. however, what i also want to achieve is an ecosystem that doesnt 100% rely on heavy 50% water changes every week.. with my old tanks i had to do 50% water changes every wee because if i missed one week i would have problems. i remember i missed one week and i had a green algae and brown algae bloom. the tank was overstocked with fish and had no plants. i stripped it down and now it is heavily planted with a deep sand bed. im planning to understock it, over filtrate it and use some aquaponics. doing 50% water changes every week in a setup like that would have NO PROBLEMS to the tank, but is it really necessary in this particular setup?

would doing 15-25% water changes weekly be a bad thing in a setup like this?

would doing 50% water changes but less frequently (2-3 weeks) be a bad thing in a set up like this?

i have my 8 gallon where i have a betta and did 25% water changes each week. it had no plants also but my betta did fine and the tank is stable. then i introduced alot of plants and some cherry shrimp. if the water is getting bad my cherry shrimp will stop eating and swim all over the tank and into the filter flow. i do 25% water changes every two weeks and the tank is betta and shrimp are still thriving. but because im not doing water changes every week people will tell me "You will have problems" but its been like this for 5 months and they are all thriving. Im i doing a bad thing?

again let me stress this to you guys, i am not against water changes in any way. i haven't said "i wont be doing water changes anymore". im saying with the particular setup im establishing. is major frequent ones necessary? hope this clears up the confusion.
Keep the fauna population on the low side is the key.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I know 😉. Earlier on I mentioned that I will have an understocked tank. I used aqadivisor and it said the stocking was 66%.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Let me say it another way. You are criticizing method for the wrong reason. That method's emphasis is how to grow plants with minimal effort and expense. It says practically nothing about aquascaping.
Here's but one example using the Walstad method and combining that with aquascaping not resulting in an "eye sore".
http://ct-att.com/aquarium-aquascape...ad-method.html
You see one can aquascape so I don't see why you have such a negative outlook?

Last edited by Steve001; 05-13-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: .

Tags
aquaponics, aquarium, walstad method, water change alternative

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode