40 breeder for a Marudi exclusive biotope riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
40 breeder for a Marudi exclusive biotope riparium

Kinda copied from the tank journal, as I feel I can get better help specific to what I need here.

I have had this tank set up for several years now. I lowered the water level several months back but of course its pretty bare right now. I do have some planters coming soon for plants. I do have several questions.

1- This tank houses macrostoma, so a lid is a necessity. Is there any Borneo native plants that would do well in the planters and not get massively huge?

2- I want to give the illusion of a river bank of course, how does it look having the planters on the back and across part of one side? Would it also hide my intake?

3- Buces. I see they grow natively on rocks. Will the be ok on wood? I suppose for the most authentic look I would need to go rock.

4- Plants. What other plants would work well? I am OK with simple and few species. So far I have Java fern, Barclaya Longefolia, some moss of unknown types and wisteria. I do have to pull the wisteria, its basically there as a way to help the water parameters.

Here is a few photos of the setup as of right now. I may change the wood but I really love it.

This is my return from the filter It is so nice to watch. Once my money gets less tight I will be adding more rocks and such to help it look more like their home. They are wild caught so its the least I could do for them.

Many thanks to Bartohog! I still need to properly anchor them but for now they seem to be OK right there. A little close to the surface but they should do fine. '

Also just because I adore this photo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #475
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This morning I woke up to spawning! They must be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #475
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Borneo plants you ask? There are a bunch!!! As far as a riparium, I think hydrophyte is your best bet. Epiphytes are a great addition to any tank and there is a myriad of them available to you from Borneo.

Look into orchids (epiphytes or jewels; genera: ascocentrum, bulbophyllum/cirrhopetalum, dendrobium, pteroceras, cordiglottis, trichoglottis, thrixspermum, crepidium, liparis, oberonia, etc.). The orchid list from Borneo is huge as that part of the world has some of the densest concentrations of orchids. I only mentioned some that are of particular interest to me, but the list is entirely to long to write an exhaustive post here. Also, just because I listed the genus here, doesn't mean that there aren't species endemic to other parts of the world so do your research!

Buces will do well on wood, they aren't strictly lithophytes.

Cryptocorynes are everywhere in Borneo, and they will do well as riparium plants if you have a lid and keep high humidity. You just have to match the species to your water conditions.

My best advice is for you to just start googling and reading up on Borneo. There are books on just bulbos/orchids from Borneo and you can really get lost in the info. Aroids, gesneriads, begonias, etc. all have representatives in Borneo so you can really delve into the Indonesian flora!

Bump: As far as covering the back goes, you can always just throw in a couple of tree fern panels, make a drip wall under the filter outlet and cover the hoses! Then you also have a great place to mount epiphytes!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Sweet! Hoping for baby fishies! Looks great so far
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you Hobbes and Kay!

Yes I am hoping for little ones. The pair are strange. Not bonded or even trying. This time the male seems ill at the female as opposed to how Grump is just a sweet fish. If I can get the old man in tip top shape I may move her to be with him.

Eheim Pimp #475
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I changed out the wood. I adore the piece that was in there but its just not close to native wood so it clashes with what I am wanting to do. Pics will follow in the next day or so, lights are off. No sense in disturbing them for pics this late.

Eheim Pimp #475
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was thinking. I currently have the Current USA Sat. + fixture on here. However even with the ramp timer on there I dont feel it simulates their natural lighting enough. So, I was thinking about the Finnex 24/7. Now I realize it is bright. Super bright. Buuut with Riparium plants, it should shade parts of the tank enough to almost simulate a break in the canopy? Thoughts on this?

Eheim Pimp #475
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I believe the buce is pretty happy with the setup. I am getting a leaf every few days on this one.

Pics of how this is coming along.

Beautiful buces!

Still needs more work but I love the wood and how the plants are doing in here.

Comments and critique is always welcome

Eheim Pimp #475
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow! You have gotten far!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Updated shot of the buces!

Eheim Pimp #475
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buce looks excellent, would love to see an updated fts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode