Aquatic plants in terrarium???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquatic plants in terrarium????

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make a tropical look terrarium but it's hard to find plants that suit.

I have been told it's possible to grow most aquatic plants emmersed in this fashion.
Does anyone have experience with this or know of species?

I was thinking mosses and ferns and other plants such as

java fern
Anubis
Java moss
Alternanthbra reinkii
Etc

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You can try crypts. In fact, I am having some crypts growing in my vivarium by accident. One of the diftwood's former life has tons of crypts growing in a high tech planted tank. Although I removed all the crypts, there are roots trapped inside and ready to come back to life. For emersed growth, you need to keep the soil moist and above 80% humidity. For aquatic ferns, they need to be near the water.

Personally, I won't want to grow everything with emersed aquatic plants. The tank has to be consistently moist and wet. Too much moisture would lead to mold. Besides, I think there are more better and cheaper terrestrial plants that can be used in a vivarium, and that can tolerate a drier condition.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll have a look. I know what you mean about existing plants but there are very few readily available ferns.

What soil mix do you use and what configuration?

I have a terrarium that averages 90% humidity and I don't have mould problems. I get some awesome fungus eruptions which last a week or two occasionally.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamS View Post
I'll have a look. I know what you mean about existing plants but there are very few readily available ferns.

What soil mix do you use and what configuration?

I have a terrarium that averages 90% humidity and I don't have mould problems. I get some awesome fungus eruptions which last a week or two occasionally.

I use the Miracle Gro African Violet soil, with perlites, and orchid barks. So far so good since my vivarium is over 1 month old. No molds at all, not that I can see. It does not smell despite I used no charcoals. I do have min air circulation mixing in with outside and inside air. I have few fungus gnats but nothing serious. I misted heavily once a day and early in the morning. The humidity stays around 80% until the next morning.

Looking up "rainbow moss" and "spikemoss" if you want some moss/fern ground cover. Here is my tank with a carpet of gold spike moss. They didn't grow that way but I planted them with 2 4" pots gold spike moss. Another nice addition is the rainbow moss or rainbow fern.

DSC_3548 by vracing, on Flickr

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Have you looked at using abg mix? The spagnum and peat act as natural anti fungal. The also filter and hold moisture.

Viv looks awesome lovely range of colours
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamS View Post
Have you looked at using abg mix? The spagnum and peat act as natural anti fungal. The also filter and hold moisture.

Viv looks awesome lovely range of colours

ABG is nice but is cheaper for me to use something more locally available. I needed 3 bags of African Violet soils. That came out to $14. I would need 16 quarts of ABG mix to fill up a 40g tank. Is $8 per 4 quarts. That's already $32. My tank has no live stocks and so having some ferts with the soil isn't a problem for me.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just made my own abg. It's the spagnum that's the costly bit.

I had enough peat to re house all my spiders and scorpions as well. And I still have more
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Javafern grows fine and so does anubias. Lots do in fact, dwarf hairgrass, Hydrocotyle, pygmy sword. Sometimes they have different shaped leaves to growing underwater. Rotala rotundifolia looks quite cool it grows round leaves emersed. Hydrocotyle sp. Japan definitely isn't too fussy about humidity, mine broke out the propagator and has made it about a foot along the window sill.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode