non-foam paludariums - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thumbs up non-foam paludariums

Many of the paludariums I come across seem to have the carved foam as the basis for the dry area. I'd love to see people's paludariums without this! Whether the dry area is made from branches, sloped gravel, rocks, etc. post your pics! Just looking for some inspiration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Both tanks in my sig are non foamed palus! I also work in the houseplant/water gardening dept. at a local greenhouse... Usually cant stand when I see normal houseplants in ppl's palu's or vivs! I like to see some variety, If I can grow it in my house w/ out problems, why jam it in a small glass box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Canna, I was looking through your thread for the 5.5g and I loved your setup! Was going to comment on how great it looked but got distracted, so telling you now That 10g looks awesome, too, thanks!

And I could see using houseplants if that is the look you are going for... and hey, you have some wandering jew in yours!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:49 AM
Algae Grower

Here is mine, but its not really complete, but a work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	462825  

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	462833  

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	462841  

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	462849  

Last edited by PeacockGoby; 04-19-2015 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Correcting pictures.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks great so far, PeacockGoby. Although I'd think that is more of a riparium... What is that grassy plant sticking up out of the water?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you, Qwe! To be fair, wandering Jew is somewhat less common, though I have collected quite a few varieties of tradescantia, so I'd say that's something of a favorite of mine. It has been removed, though. I guess I'm mostly just turned off by the plants i see like thousands of each year at work like dieffenbachias, peace lilies, most broms, pothos, anthurium, palms, etc. Not that I don't appreciate them, I guess I just like to see the basics left for more basic surroundings.

I'm jaded, I know, but I have to work with those plants daily so they get old to me.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwe View Post
Looks great so far, PeacockGoby. Although I'd think that is more of a riparium... What is that grassy plant sticking up out of the water?

Yeah it is more like a riparium right now. I am still looking for the right piece of rock and wood so that I can build a land mass against the back wall. Ideally, I want the water level to be no more than 50% of the tank's height or preferably at 25%. So, it is a work in progress.

As for the plant, I am not sure which one you are referring to but the plants on that island (below water line) are Pogostemon Helferi, Peace Lilly, White Ruellia and Dwarf Umbrella Sedge.

I hope this helps.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's totally understandable CannaBrain.

It must be the Dwarf Umbrella Sedge that I was eyeing, PeacockGoby, thanks! Once you drop the water level, are there any critters you plan to utilize that land space?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
PeacockGoby, I don't care what you call it, I think it's stunning just like it is. Is that simply one rock or numerous rocks stacked?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
That's totally understandable CannaBrain.

It must be the Dwarf Umbrella Sedge that I was eyeing, PeacockGoby, thanks! Once you drop the water level, are there any critters you plan to utilize that land space?
I haven't decided on the land critters, but there will be a few. I am leaning towards frogs and newts, but that is limited to what kind of rock and wood I manage to find. It just depends on how everything fits together.

Ultimately, the landmass will be layered. The central island will remain and contain terrarium plants and the lower back wall will be planted with semi-aquatic plants. The small island sticking out of the water with the succulent looking plant will be pruned to look like a bonsai and that will serve as the center piece above the water.

The front will be pond-like. The fishes will be transfer back to my main planted aquarium once the project is done.

At this point, everything is pretty fluid and so changes can occur.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOlder View Post
PeacockGoby, I don't care what you call it, I think it's stunning just like it is. Is that simply one rock or numerous rocks stacked?
Thank you!

The foundation is composed of 4 semicircular rocks arranged into a circle, the center piece (below water line is one rock in the shape of an inverted cone, and the small island rock above water is another small rock with a hollow out center (used for planting). The overall structure is very stable so that its not at risk of collapsing.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not sure if you would call this a paludarium or Riparium but this is my all time favorite!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...938&highlight=

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Not sure if you would call this a paludarium or Riparium but this is my all time favorite!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...938&highlight=

Nice tank BUT......it does not have a soil based substrate. Which means that your plant selections are only limited to creeping plants and moss.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Nice tank BUT......it does not have a soil based substrate. Which means that your plant selections are only limited to creeping plants and moss.
Where there's a will there's a way. You could easily modify that set up to accomodate a wider variety of plants.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Looks like a beautiful setup anyway. You don't need to have fancy, demanding plants to create an eye-catching display. I'm sure it's much more manageable and easier to take care, as well.

BTW, I'd call it a paludarium since it is enclosed with land space. I think of ripariums as those that have plants coming out the top of the aquarium and not really much, if any, land area for critters. Different definitions out there, but that's what I've gathered from a majority of pictures I've come across as to what people are calling their tanks...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Looks like a beautiful setup anyway. You don't need to have fancy, demanding plants to create an eye-catching display. I'm sure it's much more manageable and easier to take care, as well.

BTW, I'd call it a paludarium since it is enclosed with land space. I think of ripariums as those that have plants coming out the top of the aquarium and not really much, if any, land area for critters. Different definitions out there, but that's what I've gathered from a majority of pictures I've come across as to what people are calling their tanks...

Terrestrial plants aren't demanding. You can pretty much grow anything with your regular florescent lights. You only need to add fert, if at all, once a month. If you use soil, you don't really need to add ferts at all. Your biggest challenge is keeping your humidity high enough. That's it.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode