So, I bought some artifically colored airplants.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
So, I bought some artifically colored airplants....

Sigh.....I didn't know. I bough two of the Tillandisa Red from this e---bay vendor here...

The item number is 181718924100

The ad didn't mention about their plants being artificially colored. When I got mine, something wasn't right. The underside of the leaves is still green. The surface is red, but not all red. It has certain spray paint marks on it. I send a message to the seller and asking about if these are artificially colored. Yeah, I am upset but not much else I could do other than leaving him a negative feedback.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Last edited by tetra73; 04-18-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to steak
Hopefully it fades over time! The native Tillandsias here in Florida only have color in their inflorescences. I have never seen Tillys that have all those freaky deeky colors like the ones the web vendors sell…they look pretty cool though.

This is the first I have heard that they are painted. I would be unhappy about that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
He does say "Hassle-free Returns" but still a hassle anyway. Looks like he just added the part about color added as it was in a smaller font. I've never had to go through EBay's money back guarantee but being you bought two of them I think I might give it a try. You have 30 days. I think there is a lot of difference between "color added" and actually painting something. Thanks for the warning, I'll try to remember to stay away from him.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by steak View Post
Hopefully it fades over time! The native Tillandsias here in Florida only have color in their inflorescences. I have never seen Tillys that have all those freaky deeky colors like the ones the web vendors sell…they look pretty cool though.

This is the first I have heard that they are painted. I would be unhappy about that.

It looks nice but I am concerning if the artificial color would kill the plants.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
If it were me and I was unhappy with the item I would return it. I see where it says color added, but I'm not sure that would cover spray painting them, just seems like a poor description to try and lure people into buying them. There are color added orchids where the flowers are a different color than they should be, but they are not painted that color, I believe it is a dye they use in the water when it is being grown. If I had purchased them I would have felt completely mislead by the description and would let the seller know. It's one thing to not read the description, but it's a completely other things to word it in sure a way to try and mask over what the product really is and fool your customers.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
If it were me and I was unhappy with the item I would return it. I see where it says color added, but I'm not sure that would cover spray painting them, just seems like a poor description to try and lure people into buying them. There are color added orchids where the flowers are a different color than they should be, but they are not painted that color, I believe it is a dye they use in the water when it is being grown. If I had purchased them I would have felt completely mislead by the description and would let the seller know. It's one thing to not read the description, but it's a completely other things to word it in sure a way to try and mask over what the product really is and fool your customers.
Yeah..if he is paying for the return shipping, sure, I would definitely return them. If not, I see if I can get a partial refund. His other non-color enhanced air plants are ok.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
A lot of times a vendor will pay return shipping to avoid a negative review. If you do choose to leave a negative review just make sure you state that you read the description and didn't think "Color added" meant spray painted or something to that effect. I read a good bit of his reviews and in their reply to the negative reviews they of state that they offered to pay return shipping, so if you push for that you should get it. But if you do get refunded make sure you get the full amount, not just the amount for the plant, sometimes they will try and keep the original shipping fee. If you are wanting to return it, it is best to do it asap, contact the seller as soon as you can and let them know you are unhappy with the product. The few things I have returned from ebay I have returned within two days of getting the item and e-mailed the seller the day I received it that I was unhappy with it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
A lot of times a vendor will pay return shipping to avoid a negative review. If you do choose to leave a negative review just make sure you state that you read the description and didn't think "Color added" meant spray painted or something to that effect. I read a good bit of his reviews and in their reply to the negative reviews they of state that they offered to pay return shipping, so if you push for that you should get it. But if you do get refunded make sure you get the full amount, not just the amount for the plant, sometimes they will try and keep the original shipping fee. If you are wanting to return it, it is best to do it asap, contact the seller as soon as you can and let them know you are unhappy with the product. The few things I have returned from ebay I have returned within two days of getting the item and e-mailed the seller the day I received it that I was unhappy with it.
^Very good advise.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a photo of the plant you mentioned, or did you already return it?

Painting a Tillandsia to enhance its color... a sad ordeal, indeed! I know that some Tilly sellers will try to enhance blushes and/or induce flowering by exposure to ethylene gas, along with using other chemicals such as "Florel" (an ethephon plant growth regulator), "Ethrel", or "Omaflora". But, I've never heard of someone painting a Tillandia before (sounds unscrupulous at the very least).

It's hard for me to keep up with the scientific name changes, but in case you are interested ~ T. abdita was changed to T. bradeana.
http://fcbs.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi...*&nh=2527&mh=1

Scroll down to 14-331 http://fcbs.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi...=1&KEY=*&nh=34

Last edited by wastewater; 04-18-2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: inserted "you" into the first question
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
^Very good advise.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a photo of the plant you mentioned, or did you already return it?

Painting a Tillandsia to enhance its color... a sad ordeal, indeed! I know that some Tilly sellers will try to enhance blushes and/or induce flowering by exposure to ethylene gas, along with using other chemicals such as "Florel" (an ethephon plant growth regulator), "Ethrel", or "Omaflora". But, I've never heard of someone painting a Tillandia before (sounds unscrupulous at the very least).

It's hard for me to keep up with the scientific name changes, but in case you are interested ~ T. abdita was changed to T. bradeana.
http://fcbs.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi...*&nh=2527&mh=1

Scroll down to 14-331 http://fcbs.org/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi...=1&KEY=*&nh=34
I have already filed a return claim and waiting for the seller to get back to me...

Artificially colored tilandsia by vracing, on Flickr

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for sharing your photo.

Just my opinion, but it looks like the real deal and not spray painted. I have seen many T. abdita/bradeana & T. brachycaulos (which is almost identical to T. abdita in plant structure, flowering, and with taking on a red coloration) that look similar to your photo, especially when the plant is kicking into flower mode and starting to blush.

The streaks (red/green) in your photo are a fairly common occurrence when those species begin to blush. Some will be 'more or less' solid in color, and many times the bottom sides of the leaves will not be as intensely colored as the top sides. I have also seen these plants develop only a red speckling throughout their leaves before flowering. I believe the intensity (and type) of light to grow this species definitely comes into play, and will affect the red coloration. Have seen some 'drop-dead-gorgeous' solid red "abdita" that were grown in full sunlight outdoors.

Like I stated above, I'm just going by what your photo looks like to me (and it's just my opinion, good or bad). If the seller stated color was added, it doesn't look like spray paint was used.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your photo.

Just my opinion, but it looks like the real deal and not spray painted. I have seen many T. abdita/bradeana & T. brachycaulos (which is almost identical to T. abdita in plant structure, flowering, and with taking on a red coloration) that look similar to your photo, especially when the plant is kicking into flower mode and starting to blush.

The streaks (red/green) in your photo are a fairly common occurrence when those species begin to blush. Some will be 'more or less' solid in color, and many times the bottom sides of the leaves will not be as intensely colored as the top sides. I have also seen these plants develop only a red speckling throughout their leaves before flowering. I believe the intensity (and type) of light to grow this species definitely comes into play, and will affect the red coloration. Have seen some 'drop-dead-gorgeous' solid red "abdita" that were grown in full sunlight outdoors.

Like I stated above, I'm just going by what your photo looks like to me (and it's just my opinion, good or bad). If the seller stated color was added, it doesn't look like spray paint was used.
No, is not. I got them 2 days ago. It has been in transit for 2 days. It has no roots. The plant is not blooming. Also, area I suspected to be some browning on the leaves due to damage...is red. Like someone painting something over them. The stem bottom, near the roots where they should be...is red. Some paint got on it.

Here is another shot...

DSC_3509 by vracing, on Flickr

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
No, is not. I got them 2 days ago. It has been in transit for 2 days. It has no roots. The plant is not blooming. Also, area I suspected to be some browning on the leaves due to damage...is red. Like someone painting something over them. The stem bottom, near the roots where they should be...is red. Some paint got on it.

Here is another shot...

DSC_3509 by vracing, on Flickr
"No, is not"? Somewhat perplexed by this statement.

Does not matter if they have been in transit for 2 days, if if has no roots, plant not blooming, areas that you suspected to be browning on leafs....

How long have you been growing Tillandsia? I hesitated with replying to your post, but what the hey, you posted so I'll reply.

Roots have nothing to do with a Tillandsia's growth, health, or coloration. Atmospheric Tillandsia use their roots for anchoring (roots have very, very, litlle to do with nutrients, water, or plant growth). I cut many of the roots off my plants because they are nothing but a mass of ugly wire-like growths, and are not being used to anchor themselves to an object in my applications.

If a species is flushed/blushed, it does not guarantee flowering. This particular species has been known to blush red without flowering, revert back to a green coloration, and then re-blush and flower several months later. More importantly, no two plants (even if they are the same species, or if they are offspring of the original plant) will be identical, and that goes for coloration, although the general plant structure should be fairly similar.

Many of these plants are bought already colored with a "natural" red coloration, and the buyer becomes very disappointed when the red soon disappears and reverts back to a green coloration ~ because the buyer's & seller's growing conditions are different. This is especially evident when an outdoor grown plant is brought indoors to be grown under artificial lighting (or in many cases, in front of a window).

If the plant was induced with chemicals to force blushing, the plant may not flower and loose that red coloration over a course of time. I'm not saying this is the case in your situation, I saw your OP in this public forum about an air plant being spray painted, so I decided to respond (and that response was an opinion that your plant was not spray painted to add color). By no means am I trying to belittle (or disrespect) you in any form or fashion... just trying to put the cards on the table, per se. When right/wrong or correct/incorrect is an unknown, an attitude of doubting the truth, along with contention and flame wars often follow.

Thanks again for sharing your photos, but if me... I would really take your concerns back to the seller, and would "point blank" ask what they meant by "color added" instead of assuming the plant was spray painted.

Late note: noticed your plant appears to be wet in your photos. Tillandsia can look quite different when wet and dry. For what its worth: a photo of a wet T. chiapensis and a photo of a dry T. chiapensis (same identical plant).

Last edited by wastewater; 04-18-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Late note
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
"No, is not"? Somewhat perplexed by this statement.

Does not matter if they have been in transit for 2 days, if if has no roots, plant not blooming, areas that you suspected to be browning on leafs....

How long have you been growing Tillandsia? I hesitated with replying to your post, but what the hey, you posted so I'll reply.

Roots have nothing to do with a Tillandsia's growth, health, or coloration. Atmospheric Tillandsia use their roots for anchoring (roots have very, very, litlle to do with nutrients, water, or plant growth). I cut many of the roots off my plants because they are nothing but a mass of ugly wire-like growths, and are not being used to anchor themselves to an object in my applications.

If a species is flushed/blushed, it does not guarantee flowering. This particular species has been known to blush red without flowering, revert back to a green coloration, and then re-blush and flower several months later. More importantly, no two plants (even if they are the same species, or if they are offspring of the original plant) will be identical, and that goes for coloration, although the general plant structure should be fairly similar.

Many of these plants are bought already colored with a "natural" red coloration, and the buyer becomes very disappointed when the red soon disappears and reverts back to a green coloration ~ because the buyer's & seller's growing conditions are different. This is especially evident when an outdoor grown plant is brought indoors to be grown under artificial lighting (or in many cases, in front of a window).

If the plant was induced with chemicals to force blushing, the plant may not flower and loose that red coloration over a course of time. I'm not saying this is the case in your situation, I saw your OP in this public forum about an air plant being spray painted, so I decided to respond (and that response was an opinion that your plant was not spray painted to add color). By no means am I trying to belittle (or disrespect) you in any form or fashion... just trying to put the cards on the table, per se. When right/wrong or correct/incorrect is an unknown, an attitude of doubting the truth, along with contention and flame wars often follow.

Thanks again for sharing your photos, but if me... I would really take your concerns back to the seller, and would "point blank" ask what they meant by "color added" instead of assuming the plant was spray painted.

Late note: noticed your plant appears to be wet in your photos. Tillandsia can look quite different when wet and dry. For what its worth: a photo of a wet T. chiapensis and a photo of a dry T. chiapensis (same identical plant).

That's the thing...wet or not, the red is still the same!!!! Because paint does not change color when wet or dry. Anyway, the return has been approved and he is paying for the shipping. He didn't even argue with me but pointed out about the fine prints about "color added."

By the way, I picked up another Tilandisa from my local orchid wholesaler in NYC. $3 each for all airplants, regardless of sizes and kinds. This one has some red tint by the top of the leaves and the rest of the plant is light green.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Glad to hear that you resolved the problem.

If you can find a local grower, it's much better seeing the product 'up close & personal', and then making the purchase. You can only hope for the best when buying blindly via a photo and description (unless you really know the grower along with their reputation). Sounds like you got yourself a good deal... $3 a pop is very fair... plus you avoid the shipping charges which are oftentimes more expensive than the plant. Keep us posted about the progression of your plants.

Late note ~ Got in touch with a major commercial Tillandsia grower that I have known throughout the years, about paint being used on Tillandsia. He thought a few growers (*and I will mention the words he used to describe these growers: F***%%%A**%%%%%) were using Design Master Floral Paint as a means to give plants an enhanced artificial color (to pump up their sales). This paint is supposedly non-toxic, mainly used by florists to color enhance flowers (fresh and dried) and used to color foliage and plants.

Last edited by wastewater; 12-09-2015 at 01:37 AM. Reason: x late note
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Glad to hear that you resolved the problem.

If you can find a local grower, it's much better seeing the product 'up close & personal', and then making the purchase. You can only hope for the best when buying blindly via a photo and description (unless you really know the grower along with their reputation). Sounds like you got yourself a good deal... $3 a pop is very fair... plus you avoid the shipping charges which are oftentimes more expensive than the plant. Keep us posted about the progression of your plants.

Here is the tillandisa not color enhanced...

DSC_3515 by vracing, on Flickr

Canon Pimp Club #005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode