gecko tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
gecko tank

I'm gonna make a 45 gallon into a gecko tank. the measurements are 48LX17TX12.5W. i was wondering what u guys would put in there. I'm thinking 2 female 1 male fat tailed and 3 female leopard. Is this too much or could i have more? i am thinkin a potting soil/peat moss mixture for the subtrate. I have a heat rock that i might use and of course bury it about 3 inches under the subtrate. and i have a heat lamp and im going to get a 150 watt red heat bulb and use that on one side. and i may get a fogger and till then ill use a spray bottle that has had no chemicals whatsoever in it and feed crickets that i keep in a 10 gallon. does this sound good? right now i have a tokay gecko that im gonna get rid of because i want something that i can handle that wont bite me every chance it gets. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoman
I'm gonna make a 45 gallon into a gecko tank. the measurements are 48LX17TX12.5W. i was wondering what u guys would put in there. I'm thinking 2 female 1 male fat tailed and 3 female leopard. Is this too much or could i have more? i am thinkin a potting soil/peat moss mixture for the subtrate. I have a heat rock that i might use and of course bury it about 3 inches under the subtrate. and i have a heat lamp and im going to get a 150 watt red heat bulb and use that on one side. and i may get a fogger and till then ill use a spray bottle that has had no chemicals whatsoever in it and feed crickets that i keep in a 10 gallon. does this sound good? right now i have a tokay gecko that im gonna get rid of because i want something that i can handle that wont bite me every chance it gets. thanx
Ok, few things to consider..

-Dont mix the fat-tails and leopards; they require different humidity levels. And if the leopard gets exposed to constant humidity; it will have respitory problems.

-The soil/peat mix is ok for fat-tails, but not leopards.

-Absolutely no heat rock. Those things should be banned; they will burn your geckos to a crisp. (unless it has a thermostat; in that case put it on the lowest temp.)

-Get an under-tank heater thats roughly 1/3 the width of the tank.

-I dont see the point for a fogger; they are a low-humidity type gecko.

Good luck. A good place to research is drgecko.com
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 03:17 PM

i agree with moe88, although both these geckos don't like humidiy,leopard geckos live in savanas in India, the fat tail lives in the sahara desrt in Africa. but you may ant to keep the lower levles of the substright a tille moist, they do like some moisture, play sand it the best substright for both and cati and suculents will grow well in them, make shure you lay down a 1-2 inch layer of gravle 1st, this this is for draned, then put down plastic window skreen matereal to seporate it from the sand, now you but down any heay objests like rocks or fake rock caves.then put down like 4-5 inches of sand. now you can plant you cacti and suculents and they may be down an accent like a peice of old drift wood (Cholla Cactus Wood looks realy cool), some dryed grasses and a water bowl. this woukd be fine for eather leos or fat tails, you could keep about 4 of eather, just make shure you only have one male in the tank. position a 100w basking light on one side, this side should be about 100-110 degrees, you can have like a 75w cacti grow strip light for the plants, as long as it does not go below 75 degrees at night you should not need any outher heating
good luck and have fun!!!!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Well actually i researched and i saw that they both need the same amount of humidity. and peat moss and potting soil is the best subtrate u can get. I'll look into it a little more and see what it says. So which one likes moist and which one likes low? I am going to have a 150 watt red bulb so it should keep it warm enough. and actually its not going to be constant humidity just one spray in the morning and once at night. Will a tokay pick on the rest of them? im not sure about the sex. if it will i may sell it. the heat rock i can understand and will go. and i will get an undertank. thanx.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

ok i looked and saw what u were talking about im sorry. umm what about leaf tailed geckos? i read that they need high humidity like fat tailed geckos so im going to try putting the together. also what kind of plants can i grow in there and what kind of lights would i need.

Last edited by geckoman; 06-26-2004 at 04:49 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 04:53 PM

You can not keep a fat tail and a leaf tail together, whare are you getting this information? fat tails live from Nigeria west to Senegal, in dry savanas, semiarid and arid conditions! play sand is the best substright for them. the humididty they like is about 20%-30%, you can do this by keeping the lower levels of the sand slightly moist.they are terestral sp? (living on the ground).
leaf tailed geckos coem form of madagacar, they are arboreal (lives in trees) and inhabit rainforests they like humididy around 70%-90% also, they can be a little shy and a little unreluctent to eat, mainly becuse they are almost always wild caught, you can't hold them, they are delicate and jump, i would wate untill you have a little more experence to go after them, goe with like 3 fat tails in that 40 gallon. thats it!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

i want more then 3 what else could i get? if they like a humidity of about 30 the they will be fine with leopards. leopards like that hunidity too then when they shed about 70. so before u said they like high humididty and nowu say they like low......hmmm so i dont see a problem with leopards and fat tails since u contradicted yourself.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 03:32 PM

sorry, i was a little unclear, yes i think you could keep them both in a 45 gal only 1-2 of eatch though, and make shure you don't have 2 males of the same speciese, they will fight!
good luck!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

could i have 2 female 1 male leopard and 2 female fat tails maybe?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

I do not know if you considered this but maybe you could get crested geckos. I have one and he reguires a higher humidity. He is more of a forest gecko that lives at room temperature.(70 to 80 degrees) So he would not need a source of heat. He is very cool to look at and is very low-maintenance. I just feed him every other day and mist his cage every night before bed.

If you do get a crested gecko I would get either a moon light or a red light just to watch him at night. They are so fun to watch when they are on the hunt for crickets. They go crazy jumping around the tank catching them little critters. I have just some vines and leaves for cover and it looks very cool.

You could probably find a few at reptile shows, maybe you will find one at your lfs, maybe. They are just entering the hobby more(about 2 years ago) and more color morphs are coming out just like the leopards. The crested can be a little costly just because they are pretty rare but they are pretty easy to breed so as their numbers go up price should be drop pretty soon .

I would go for these guys instead.

My goal is a sea of green.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

can u get em where u live? ive never even seen em or heard of em...i mean can u get some and send em to me? i dont think i can get em ne where near here and i dont really want to spend a lot on em
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Algae Grower

They are fairly rare and I have not seen one around here for about a year since I got mine. However I have not been going to the reptile shows, so they may be there. I would see if there are any reptile shows in your town anytime soon. They may have a few.

My goal is a sea of green.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

hahah yeah i wish.....i live in the smallest town in arkansas u can get just about.....theres nothing here.....where would i look to find out ne ways? i could ask my lfs/pet store but i doubt they would know. ill look around and see if i can find anything out but i dont know man.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

wait....i was just looking at ur name up there and it says ur from st. louis. thats about 5-6 hours from here....where did u get your cresteds? if you could find some more from there for less that 100 each (i looked and that was the lowest) then i might just come up there and get them. if u there arent any there or too much then ill just get leopards. i mean there cool but im 13, i have no job, and it takes a while to get money and i can get leopards here for about $20 each which aint bad.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 11:06 PM

cresteds are great! i like them better then leperds, the pet shop by me (in NJ) pet shop just started carying them, they are becuming more and more popular and will soon be as popular as leoperds! you may se some in your local shop soon, if not you can go to any reptile show and get one, there are reptile shows in every state and many go one 2 or 3 time a year i think you could find one pretty easly, if not you can get them form breeders online.
i just started breeding mine, so in a couple of months i moght be able to sell you one!
if you have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode