converting fish tank to riparium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
converting fish tank to riparium

Hi all,

I have a 54 litre fish tank at the moment. It is lidded so the glass isnt so thick. I only have 6 minnows and a couple of shrimp in there, as well as quite a few plants.
Feel like a change and I was wondering about converting it to a riparium, and have a few questions

How do you know how much water a tank can take without the lid? If it was half full would that be okay?

Filter wise, I obviously couldnt use the one I have now as it would be too much flow. Would it be worth getting a little sponge filter or would it be okay no filter at all?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Hi all,

I have a 54 litre fish tank at the moment. It is lidded so the glass isnt so thick. I only have 6 minnows and a couple of shrimp in there, as well as quite a few plants.
Feel like a change and I was wondering about converting it to a riparium, and have a few questions

How do you know how much water a tank can take without the lid? If it was half full would that be okay?

Filter wise, I obviously couldnt use the one I have now as it would be too much flow. Would it be worth getting a little sponge filter or would it be okay no filter at all?

Thanks in advance
You can keep the waterline near the top, simply remove the lid put plants right by the tank rim, keeping the same fluter (you will hae to do periodic top-offs for evaporation but it won't be too bad for that size tank.
I use cheap all plastic (and rubber) suction cup shower caddies that have slits at the bottom to let water in and roots grow out

My 2 lid-less ripariums (20g(75.7L) long and 55g(208.1L)). Water line is right up to the bottom of the black trim. I have to top off about 1-2 gallons once a week for these tanks from evaporation. I have a hob on the 20 and a canister filter on the 55. 20g has white cloud mountain minnows. 55g has angelfish, rainbow fish (jumper species, but no issue) cherry barbs, cories, and otos.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the reply
curious that the water line on yours is up to the top, i have read that with the lidded tanks with thinner glass it is dangerous incase it cracks under the pressure
nice looking tanks btw do you find the light for your external plants penetrates for the aquatic plants as well? i need to figure out how to light it if i go ahead with this
and yeah i have a load of those shower caddy things waiting for me to use them

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
thanks for the reply
curious that the water line on yours is up to the top, i have read that with the lidded tanks with thinner glass it is dangerous incase it cracks under the pressure
nice looking tanks btw do you find the light for your external plants penetrates for the aquatic plants as well? i need to figure out how to light it if i go ahead with this
and yeah i have a load of those shower caddy things waiting for me to use them
a lid on these tanks does nothing to keep the 4 sides close together (lids fit in the depressor on the top trim) so no lid doesn't make a difference. If you de-rim a large tank (over 20g) you should consider a euro brace with glass to keep it together (especially the 55). I've done nothing to compromise the black plastic bracing its still whole.

I'm focusing more on the terrestrial than the aquatic plants, so I have lot light plants under water (anubias, crypts, and java fern needle/narrow leaf).
People who do more medium to high light aquatic plants often have 2 lights, a low profile (thin) LED on the tank for aquatics and a second raised light for the riparium plants. Because I let my plants get so tall on the 55 the lights are 4 feet above the substrate on the left side, the right side and the 20g lights are about 2.5-3 feet above the substrate. There are many lighting options and I'd recommend using 2 sources. For options theirs LED, T5, CFL.. riparium plants take the same kelvin range as aquatics, and its good to stick with lights that don't get to hot so the plants don't get burnt(the 3 types listed above are some of the coolest options) adding a small quiet pc fan can also help reduce heat from lights.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-09-2015 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typos
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ah okay

I think I will have to seriously consider lighting options and do alot of researching. Going away for a week and a bit so tank will have to wait!

thanks again for the help
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the tank as it is right now

Sorry about the relfections! Its just a phone pic, need to get SLR and polarising filter out.

But its basically two bits of squiggly wood, with annubias attached, java fern at back, cryts on the floor and a lot of hydrocotyle which isnt doing too well.

I am thinking to take the water level down to just above the big annubia
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

@AquaAurora - Using the shower caddy is a genius idea!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode