You all should seriously consider starting a vivarium. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You all should seriously consider starting a vivarium.

I've had my planted tank for about 8 months, and my dart frog tank for almost 3 months.

I guess I just want to make a PSA that I think many members of this board would find a vivarium incredibly rewarding.

Here is my experience so far:

1) Holy crap is this thing low maintenance. Compared to my planted tank and doing water changes, fertilizing, water parameters etc. my viv takes hardly any time at all. I feed some dusted fruit flies every other day, hand mist the tank every day or so if I even remember, and start a couple fly cultures every 2 weeks. That is literally it. Takes about 1 minute of work every other day for full maintenance.

2) In spite of how ridiculously easy it has been to maintain, my viv honestly looks an order of magnitude better than my planted tank. Despite my best efforts, my low tech tank looks decent but not really spectacular. My viv on the other hand looks more like a zoo exhibit. Using the insulation foam/silicone/coco fiber method along with lots of cork bark to make a background, it looks really natural. My fish tank looks like a fish tank. My viv looks like a rainforest.

3) Plants are a lot easier to grow, you don't have to fertilize, and you can have pretty much any correctly sized plant you want with any setup. It is easy to include colored and flowing plants. I have a much larger diversity of plants in my viv than my planted tank, from bromeliads to tillandsias to ferns and more.

4) No stupid algae/cyanobacteria/diatoms/more stupid algae to worry about. I don't have to do anything to keep my viv looking great. My fish tank on the other hand... lets not go there.

5) Maybe it is just me, but I find that getting random diseases in fish tanks is very common, and over the course of your aquarium you will probably have disease issues and lose some fish. So far so good with my frogs though. I just have a feeling that my frogs aren't going to have issues like my sensitive little fish do.

6) Owning dart frogs is so uncommon that people are usually really impressed when they see them.

So yeah, I just wanted to share how great my vivarium experience has been so far. I guarantee anyone who loves planted tanks like I do will also love a vivarium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:19 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Ive been thinking about doing one for some time. Got any pics of this jewel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can't say all of that and not provide some pics!

Under construction.

Eheim 2217, pressurized C02, high tech planted

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
Hear, hear.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

vivarium

Show your stuff man !

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Did dart frogs for 3 years. Truth is continuously raising fruit flys SUCKS! (Agree, vivs are awesome though).
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree. Don't own dart frogs but turned my 29 gallon high for my axolotls into a Vivarium type tank. And yes I think it looks better than my planted. Took literally 10 minutes to set up, no ferts, no co2, no crazy lights, and yes a bigger variety and types of plants. Sigh
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocological View Post
^ what they said!

I'm working on setting up a viv but at least I put up progress shots!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Yup yup, I agree. My new crab set up is currently growing in and just sitting there with daily misting and that's it. There really is hardly anything to it and with well planned set ups, you can include quite the nice water feature so you can have your cake and eat it too!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I decided to convert my planted tanks to vivs one at a time starting with my 10 gal isolation tank a couple of weeks ago. My background comes in today followed by my substrate and false bottom tomorrow. My plants are on order and I'm meeting with a local dart frog raiser tonight to get some additional insight. Like GuppyGills stated just got tired of algae and water changes. Seems like the main problem with frogs is going to be getting them fed while on vacations, no automatic feeding.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

I've been kicking around that idea also.....but.. as much as I would love to have a tropical forest in the living room the temperature of my house through out winter is around 58>62.So my thought is to build a temperate rain forest with indigenous plants from around my area.
And yeah,photos or it didn't happen....
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceman View Post
the living room the temperature of my house through out winter is around 58>62.....
I keep my house around 55 at winter nights but at least so far what I've been told the frogs can deal with the cold better than the 80 degree days. Now the plants may be a different story. The guy I'm meeting tonight here in Colorado tells me he doesn't have a heater in any of his vivs and he raises darts.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh boy... in my eagerness to convince everyone to start a viv, I hope I didn't oversell my tank haha! I guess you can all be the judge of that.

Here is my fish tank for reference. It is a 40gb. Nothing too special, and I have had a lot of algae and cyanobacteria issues. I love my tank but it isn't an beautiful as some of the amazing tanks on here.

And here is my viv. It is a 20H. If anyone has questions on the build feel free to ask.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150207_162133 (1).jpg
Views:	797
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	457546  

Name:	20150404_222317.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	457554  

Name:	20150208_131025.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	457562  

Name:	20150405_115752 rotated.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	457578  

Name:	20150207_163719.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	457586  

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

GuppyGills,

Looks great. I think those are the same frogs I plan on getting, Dendrobates auratus?

Did you put a bulkhead under the false bottom or not? I've pretty much decided not to do it on the 10 gal but will probably do it on the 20 gal. Plan on just running hose down both back corners behind the background for draining if needed on the 10 gal.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

They are tinctorius azureus, which I believe are a bit bigger and bolder than auratus. The false bottom is from Josh's Frogs, basically just really lightweight gravel, and it is covered by a mat of landscaping material, with AGB mix on top of that. When i need to top it off I just pull back the cover in a corner and pour some water in.

I made some customizations to the tank to fit my needs. To get some extra air circulation, I cut out the back piece of plastic that normally snaps onto the back of the glass cover so that it is more like a narrow plastic frame, and then hot glued air conditioner filter foam to cover the opening. I also cut strips of the same foam (from walmart) and hot glued it around the entire perimeter of the lip where the cover sits. The cover sinks into the foam and creates a fruit fly proof seal. I also didn't have a way to hang my lights overhead so I bought a long wooden rod, cut it in half and duct taped it to the back of the tank. Then I just clamp my clamp lights on the rods and I can adjust the light height very easily.

I also recommend buying a bunch of cork bark to stick in the foam background. I think it makes it look a lot better. I just threw a bunch of pieces in before the foam dried. You can get bulk cork bark very cheap online.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode