HOB... Paludarium?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
HOB... Paludarium??

Well i don't really know what to call this... Riparium 2.0? Ripaludarium? Here is a teaser, build info later tonight

HOB fern forest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	452097  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
i call it awesome.....

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok another teaser, been running like this as test
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	210
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	452193  

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great!

Is that a hang on breeder box you're using?

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Looks great!

Is that a hang on breeder box you're using?
Yes a large marina breeder box, using a Hagen mini elite pump. Build info later!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dont think I'd call it either riparium or paludarium, HOB planter probably most appropriate. But nice, anyhow. Hopefully the ferns dont mind being so wet and will take off for you. Plannin on mounting this on a runnin tank or settin up something new?

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lightbulb

So I have been setting up my Aquaclear HOB to be planted when I came across a bunch of threads about planted hob breeder boxes.
So I went out an grabbed a marina brand "large" hob breeder and a Hagen mini elite filter.

I had started prepare a few aquarium plants for the filter already. So I decided I wanted to do something different with the breeder box.

I have been reading up on paludariums bc I am planning to attempt making one. The idea of a false bottom wicking up moisture to soil caught my attention.

I created the upper "planter" are with a plastic container, cut with a dremel to sit around the back of the box. I sealed/ glued it to the box with silicone.

On the front half of the box-I filled the bottom half with hydroton balls and top half is fluorite.
The back half - hydroton goes all the way up half way into the raised planter. Above that(where ferns are planted) is almost like a bonsai potting mix.
The mix is mostly small bits of volcanic rock, horticultural and filter charcoal, fir bark, and some flourite too. Sorry I didn't keep track of mix rates. the mix wicks moisture well enough to stay damp, but is extremely well aerated.

I modded the Hagen filter output with a dremel and slipped a piece of siphon hose over it. It now pumps water through the siphon hose under the substrate (into hydroton layer)in the planter.

Bought 4 potted ferns,(souther maidenhair, silver brake, leather leaf, and another "brake or table" fern not sure exact variety) and some potted "club moss"( not actually a moss). All the plants require their roots to stay damp at all times, but not sit in water.

i can still plant out the front half of this box with traditional riparium plants. And if the ferns don't acclimate well I can remove the back planter( only siliconed), and put more flourite and riparium plants.
I plan on putting it on a heavily planted 20 gallon with dirt substrate, right beside the HOB filter I was going to plant out . But I am running it in this container with water from the tank for a while to see what the "bonsai soil" will leach.
This is a lil crazy I guess, I just started this just wanting to grow baby tears ontop of my filter. Now I have a mini fern forest getting ready to grow above my tank lol.

If this works or not it has been fun lil project so far. And I have finally come up with a plan for my paludarium... A cypress swamp biotope with a cypress bonsai tree centrepiece... Better start learning how to train bonsai trees lol.

Sry thought I took more photos, but here it is while i was fitting the "planter". More pics too come!!!
Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	148
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	452297  

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a space age set of tools as you can tell.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	104
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	452353  

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What kinds of ferns are you using? Ive got a sort of similar setup (see signature) and id like to add some ferns at some point, if yours work well I might be inclined to copy

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
What kinds of ferns are you using? Ive got a sort of similar setup (see signature) and id like to add some ferns at some point, if yours work well I might be inclined to copy
Picked up the ferns at Rona... That's just like Home Depot if you aren't Canadian. Rona always seems to be have the best garden centre of all the "big box" hardware store around here.

Left to right-
Weeping maidenhair fern( A "southern" maidenhair var.)
Some type of brake fern( not sure exact var.)
Leatherleaf fern
Silver brake fern

Then carpeting it all is "club moss". Really an interesting plant, looks halfway between a moss and a spruce tree. It spreads little vines that look like very similar in shape to how moss spreads, but it sends down long stringy roots everywhere it touches the soil.

Had all the plants for a week before transplanting, I kept them in the 4" nursurey pots, and watered them with water from the tank. I divided the ferns. I took small divisions from the plants and washed the roots clean. I put half of the bonsai mix in, then layed the fern roots out. I supported the plants and buried the roots with the remaining bonsai mix. I covered bonsai mix with club moss.

So far 2days in setup and the fern divisions have shown no signs of dying, they are actually turning towards the light a little, and perking up. And I can see small white roots behing to spread from the club moss.
I change the water in the container with new water from tank. So far I see no ammonia leaching with water tests, but I will wait another week. Gotta make sure the plants won't die any take the tank with them lol.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is a veiw of substrate layers. The fluorite is deeper toward the middle, just made it shallow by the outflow to help water circulate thought the hyrdoton. Bonsai mix is above the waterline, but hydroton wicks moisture to it.( sorry pic is sideways)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	104
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	452473  

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The ferns seem to be fading... oh well. I guess I'll pull off the planter. Saw some golden pothos and small peace lillies at Rona guess I'll go back tomorrow. I thinks the concept was sound, but my design was flawed. I think if the "planter" area needed to be taller to allow a deeper substrate.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok well I found these at Rona. Each has three separate plants, all riparium acceptable I think. Not as cool as a mini fern forest, but should look good.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	118
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	454362  

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderman204 View Post
The ferns seem to be fading...I thinks the concept was sound, but my design was flawed.
As was mentioned earlier, ferns dont like to be that wet. I would go for plants that prefer very moist conditions, not just any old house plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode