How good at climbing are African Dwarf Frogs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How good at climbing are African Dwarf Frogs?

I've been building this paludarium for a while, and now it's come to stocking, and I'm wondering, would ADFs be safe in this set up? The top is open, and the log on the right is hooked onto the glass at the back.

The water is 5-6" deep, and the full length of the tank (4') but narrow to the left, and a foot wide to the right.

We don't have any cats that could threaten them if they stay in the damn tank, but it would suck if i found one on the floor, or behind the TV one day as a little crispy, dried out frog-pancake.

20L hex | 114L Fluval Rimless | 20 L QT+riparium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I dont have an answer for you BUT, that is beautiful!!!
More pics please!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
There are a ton of frog forums out there better equipped to answer your questions if you don't get any good answers here. Very nice looking tank.

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Three pretty good but I doubt they would just out once at the top. They might me fronts b there not quite that stupid. :,) but yes to answer your question if they wanted to they could probably climb to the top with no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm going to head to a frog forum and ask again there, but in the mean time; here, PHOTOS! I'll probably do a journal, too U_U.

20L hex | 114L Fluval Rimless | 20 L QT+riparium
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Member

Omg awesome! I was planning a similar setup for a 48" long 60gal. Now I'll need to find a new house with a bay window too I guess, nice setup! What are you humidity levels lower in the tank with an open top? Is there any airflow around the tank?

I had DAF in an uncovered 10gallon with water 1"from the top. They can climb out of that tank np, but they probably won't really leave the water. Fire belly toads on the other hand, always escaped my terrarium when I was a kid.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

Well I had 2 in a tank with a tight lid but tiny gaps. I now have 1. He managed to make a 25 foot trip. Out of the tank, across the living room, and down the steps, made it to the bottom step before calling it quits and dried up.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is a community forum site just for frogs http://www.dendroboard.com/ I joined it about four days ago because I decided to also build some vivs. After four days of reading I haven't even scratched the surface on the information offered here.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have had ADF's for like 8 years in open topped aquariums with no problems. I know people say they jump out, but mine have never shown any sign of leaving the water at all. I can't answer how well they climb though, never seen them do that before.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would imagine the only reason ADFs would leave the water is bc it was too dirty. Or, otherwise inhospitable for some reason.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Planted Member

That's a very pretty tank! Please remember that with African dwarf frogs you need to take additional safety and cleanliness precautions that you wouldn't necessarily need for only fish due to the risk of Salmonella typhimurium. CDC recommends you not even keep them in the house if you have kids under 5.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/resou...ile-poster.pdf
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice tank!

Wouldn't trust frogs in it though. Maybe shrimps instead???

Last edited by Aplomado; 04-09-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: more
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (33/100%)
I definitely would not trust them in a full tank without a tight lid, but your setup should be fine. They are aquatic, but not shy about moving over land when seeking greener pastures. I collected Xenopus (their larger cousins) crossing the road in heavy rains in Africa.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

there not that good of a swimmer, nor good climbers.. Ive had em bail out of a full open top tank but in your case I think you'll be perfectly fine.. I cant see them getting that high without falling back in.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,

Tags
african dwarf frog, paludarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode