Terrarium buildish (well i have it now) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Terrarium buildish (well i have it now)

well it looks like i might be picking up a tank next weekend when i had into Indianapolis for a show. From the pictures it looks like and Exo-Terra glass tank, would caust me about $25 and the dimension are 12x12x18, i'm wondering is it a good deal? here's the link.

then if it is a good deal what animal would be good in a tank this i've been wanting to set up a terrarium recently because of all the thread i've been reading on them. the thing is i think i can set up the cage but i don't know a suitable inhabitant to have it setup around.

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ozymandias; 02-22-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is a great deal! They usually sell for around $50.

You could get some dart frogs, small day geckos, small leaftail geckos.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i was actually thinking dart frogs but i know nothing about them. also thanks for the gecko names i'll have to look them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

I keep bumblebee dart frogs, they are pretty easy and pretty cheap. I also keep Satanic leaftail which stay very small. Kingsnake.com is a good place to buy reptiles and amphibians.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
A 12x12x18 gives you a small footprint, so if you want to do darts, you'd probably need to go with a smaller species that is more aboreal. For your best choice, I'd second some small species of aboreal gecko for this size tank.

-Pat
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks Patm and Tameyourself, i like the suggestions especially Satanic Leaftail.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Algae Grower

I just recently got a pair of Satanics and they are awesome!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i think though i've decided on a white tree frog as an inhabitant, from advice on other forums. i also thing thay are really cute and from what i read a good beginner frog. not i just have to get the tank and start working on it. thinking foam back ground with coco fiber on it some sticks protruding out of the background and ground. the one thing i don't have an idea on is plants that would be a good idea for this tank.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM

The only issue with a white's is they are a big frog.

As far as plants, pathos/philodendron, bromeliads, 'polka dot' plant, maidens hair fern, etc. are all high humidity plants that are small and can be found at Home Depot. Small begonias, neo. bromeliads, orchids, peperomias, and others are also good, but you'd probably have to look elsewhere.

-Pat
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i know thay get big but it seams that thay have been suggested to me quite a few times. also thanks for the plant list.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

today was a good day, got to got to a good punk show in Indianapolis and picked up a tank for $25, now all i need to do is scrape up enough money to actually get working on this think. still i now have a tank for it.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

might as well post this here also but looking for suggestions for good lighting on this

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 AM

You may want to look into the small screw in power compacts exo-terra makes.

-Pat
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so i started building the back ground, picked up more than enough great stuff and silicon (got white by accident so went back and replaced it with clear).

I used part of the old background because i kinda liked it. and thought it would be cool to have look like part rock was facing out.

so i also picked up a nice peace of drift wood that i used in the back also i think there's probably going to be a plant in the nook thats it makes

and this is what it looks like all foamed up. plant to carve it a bit ones every thing is done setting but it feels like i finally got started on this tank (i am really impatient)

I'll be siliconeing it tomorrow so should have photos of that too.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

getting one of the 12" exo-terra hoods for the tank from Dr. foster smith, on sale for 18.99, also getting HydroBall from there. and this was all for 29.99 shipped or something like that (i used a $5 coupon code). also realized i might have another of the exo-terra hoods lying at home so need to get it shipped out here here some time too. so look like i'll have a nice viv really soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode