First Timer 10g Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Timer 10g Paludarium

My first post here (I think, maybe second?) but I have been browsing these forums for a pretty long time before my I registered.

So, I have been looking into building a small paludarium for a while on and off now, and I'm closer to pulling to trigger than I have been. Wanna eventually do a much larger build, but just for the sake of trying things out I want to start small, and before that I have questions. I've done some of my own research, but always seem to end up without final answers.

I want to do a 10g paludarium with a base of expanding foam that I'd shape according to my whims (muahahaha!), and cover with some sort of fert/soil. The expanding foam would, on one end, build upward to a level that would reach over the water and be the land portion of my project. Prior to fully enclosing the expanding foam area, I want to have tubing (PVC possibly?) with a powerhead on one end drawing water and a trickling waterfall spouting on the land-end that would find its way back to the water.

For filtration, I was hoping to do some kind of internal power filter, but have no experience with them.

The end goal would be to have a dwarf baby tears carpeting the underwater portion, and some combo of plants/dry ground on the land with return water coming from the land via the waterfall. I don't have much experience with plants, and I have none with carpeting. Would this require supplemental CO2? If so, is there an alternative to a pressurized CO2 system?

For this build, I would like to have either 1-2 nonschooling fish or a small school of neon or black neon tetras. That said, I'm not sure of the safety with possible amphibious (or reptilian?) tank-mates. I'd like to do 1-2 firebelly toads or newts, but tank temp is a concern that it looks like I won't be able to overcome. What other possible inhabitant combos can I look into?

Hopefully when I post this it isn't overwhelming long, as it has felt while typing! Next time I'll draw up a diagram or do some kind of sketches

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am doing something similar, and also for the first time.. =)
I've changed the design a little as I go, but the idea stays the same.. 10 g's for housing a pair or 3 FBT or maybe dwarf african clawed frogs.

But animals are not really necessary, they will go in only in case the habitat will be right for them.. for me it's more about the building experience, simulating habitat and growing plants.. nice animals are just a bonus, if I am sure that I can take a proper care of them.

Here is a link to the build journal:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=827353

Hope your project is doing well, and please keep us updated!

Regards,
Medicine Man
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Medicine Man View Post
But animals are not really necessary, they will go in only in case the habitat will be right for them.. for me it's more about the building experience, simulating habitat and growing plants.. nice animals are just a bonus, if I am sure that I can take a proper care of them.
That is put really nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNutt View Post
The end goal would be to have a dwarf baby tears carpeting the underwater portion, and some combo of plants/dry ground on the land with return water coming from the land via the waterfall. I don't have much experience with plants, and I have none with carpeting. Would this require supplemental CO2? If so, is there an alternative to a pressurized CO2 system?
The water being shallow enough, I'm not sure if you'd need CO2, but if you search "DIY CO2" you'll find plenty of threads on setting up a cheap CO2 reactor. You could also probably get away with just using Flourish Excel, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNutt View Post
For this build, I would like to have either 1-2 nonschooling fish or a small school of neon or black neon tetras. That said, I'm not sure of the safety with possible amphibious (or reptilian?) tank-mates. I'd like to do 1-2 firebelly toads or newts, but tank temp is a concern that it looks like I won't be able to overcome. What other possible inhabitant combos can I look into?
I wouldn't add any fish, as it will end up being such a small body of water in that size tank, plus if you do add amphibians, I'm pretty sure it gets overcrowded pretty quick.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode