paludarium info - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
paludarium info

I'm in search of some paludarium info.

I have a X-tall 20 gallon, 20Lx10Dx22H. Currently I have it set up as a planted tank but that is being swapped out to a 20H, 24Lx12Dx16H.

So here is what I have started planning, I would like to set this up with water predominately, with a couple plants growing from a log or something of that sort. I would like to make the water feature about 6" deep, adding aquatic plants here.

One issue I am struggling with is lighting. Currently, I am running 2 15" 14W light fixtures, but I have available a 24" 20W, it would sit over the tank a little bit. I would like to have the ability to a heat lamp over top so that if I want to add some reptiles to this I can (thats something else I'm looking for information on.

And thats as far as I've gotten. Just need some info to help me build this.

Look forward to some input.

Thanks Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 AM

Not sure what specific info you are looking for, but here's something that stood out to me. In such a short (lengthwise) tank, laying a heat lamp on top is going to cook live plants. It will dry out your land section in no time, even with a lower wattage bulb. You may be best to ditch the heat lamp idea and go instead with some amphibian that doesn't need one.

-Pat
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

im looking for build information, i know how id like it to look, just dont know the lagistics of it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:10 AM

Well this is my article as to setting up a viv. As far as a paludarium, I'd probably still use some sort of false bottom technique to allow water to pass under the land without it saturating your growing media. As far as herps go, you're probably looking at salamanders and aquatic frogs, or some sort of semi-aquatic frog that is a good swimmer.

HTH

-Pat
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_fasinated View Post
I'm in search of some paludarium info.
One issue I am struggling with is lighting. Currently, I am running 2 15" 14W light fixtures, but I have available a 24" 20W, it would sit over the tank a little bit. I would like to have the ability to a heat lamp over top so that if I want to add some reptiles to this I can (thats something else I'm looking for information on.
I would stay away from reptiles, especially ones that require heat for digestion. If you put these guys into a paludarium, you are going to run into a very messy and bacteria laden environment that is going to need to be cleaned on a regular basis and it is going to be a bacteria magnet. Reptiles are known for deficating and urinating in standing water which is great if you change out their water bowl every day/every couple of days. It is very bad, though, for environments where you want to keep fish/anphibians/etc.

Like mentioned above, stick with smaller amphibians. You might still have some water quality issues because of feedings, but it won't be as bad as having reptiles. Green tree frogs, red eye tree frogs, or some other types of frogs would probably work well. Dart frogs, however, would not be a good choice. They aren't good swimmers.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You might want to check out http://www.dendroboard.com/ .

It is a good forum for vivariums and paludariums. If nothing else, it is a good source for ideas.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
If anyone is looking for inspiration here is a Paludarium I found on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiTvj...e=channel_page
I think he updated it and has some pets in it now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode