What can I put in my terrarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What can I put in my terrarium?

Hello everybody,

My name is Michel and I'm a big aquarium fan, but I would also like to start a (small) terrarium and I hope you could help me with this.

I have an empty aquarium (20" x 12" x 12") and I would like it to use this as terrarium.
I already have 4 aquariums in my room, and I don't think my dad is going to be happy if I put another high power consumable heater.
I have seen some 9 Watt heat mats what could be an option, but I don't know exactly how many degrees it will increase my tank.
My room itself is at daytime approx. 68-72 F and at night around 61 F.

Does anyone have an idea what I could keep in this tank? It may be anything from reptiles to insects, all ideas are welcome!

I myself was thinking of a praying mantis, I just don't know how active they are, I find them very beautiful but if they move like 1" a day I have the idea that it will become a bit boring :P

(And sorry if my english isn't that good, it's not my main language )

With kind regards,
Michel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheldb14 View Post
Hello everybody,

My name is Michel and I'm a big aquarium fan, but I would also like to start a (small) terrarium and I hope you could help me with this.

I have an empty aquarium (20" x 12" x 12") and I would like it to use this as terrarium.
I already have 4 aquariums in my room, and I don't think my dad is going to be happy if I put another high power consumable heater.
I have seen some 9 Watt heat mats what could be an option, but I don't know exactly how many degrees it will increase my tank.
My room itself is at daytime approx. 68-72 F and at night around 61 F.

Does anyone have an idea what I could keep in this tank? It may be anything from reptiles to insects, all ideas are welcome!

I myself was thinking of a praying mantis, I just don't know how active they are, I find them very beautiful but if they move like 1" a day I have the idea that it will become a bit boring :P

(And sorry if my english isn't that good, it's not my main language )

With kind regards,
Michel
You could definitely keep stick insects! They are fun, and all you really need to breed them is blackberry leaves. They don't need a heater either.

You could also keep crabs (geosesarma sp.) but they require a bit more keep up and they need a tank with 20-28 degrees.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1911 View Post
You could definitely keep stick insects! They are fun, and all you really need to breed them is blackberry leaves. They don't need a heater either.

You could also keep crabs (geosesarma sp.) but they require a bit more keep up and they need a tank with 20-28 degrees.
Thank you for the reply!

I really like the idea of crabs!

And how about stick insects, are they a little bid active? Because I think they will stand at one place for the whole day and that it will be kinda boring after a while :P

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheldb14 View Post
Thank you for the reply!

I really like the idea of crabs!

And how about stick insects, are they a little bid active? Because I think they will stand at one place for the whole day and that it will be kinda boring after a while :P
Depends, when I was younger they moved around quite a bit. They kept breeding and feeding etc. I remember having something like 20+ insects in a 60cm tank.

Crabs will be really cool. Check out www.panzerwelten.de, it's a site all for crabs. They speak primarily German, but have an English speaking section as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Get herps. Poison dart frogs, fire bellied newt and green treefrogs can be kept in a terarium. Praying Mantis is great as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Algae Grower

+1. dart frog set up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgorges View Post
+1. dart frog set up.
Darts require a lot more work though. If you are up for it, definitely try them!!!

Check out www.dendroboard.com for a lot of herp/terrarium info!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dont think you really have enough room for darts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
I dont think you really have enough room for darts.
Agreed

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your ideas!

Still, I'm gone for a praying mantis, because I just really like them!
The mantis is now in another smaller container (+ - 10 cm diameter and 12 cm high) which is placed in the larger tank (with a heater).
According to the owner of the shop, it was better to first keep him in this smaller container so he could find his food a lot easier.
He is now about 4 cm, does somebody know how big the mantis should be before I can release him to the bigger tank?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

They'll be fine in the larger tank, if you give it plenty of food. Like crickets and flies.

Tags
aquarium, ideas, insects, reptile, terrarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode